Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Four days of acceptable weather and a break in my schedule created an opportunity to ride the Black Hills before snow arrives. Here's Ninjette Noire in front of her future home:

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Sky Automotive tire

I've been on a bunch of roads in the northern stretch, Nemo Rd., Vanocker Canyon to Sturgis, 14A to Deadwood and Lead, then to Spearfish Canyon, lunch at a not-so-busy but yet slow touristy restaurant, then more Nemo Rd. to Norris Peak Rd., and 44 back to Rapid City.

Water Sky Plant Plant community Ecoregion

Plant Sky Road surface Natural landscape Asphalt

Plant Sky Plant community Ecoregion Mountain

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's the view from lunch:

Sky Plant Natural landscape Larch Wood

And I unexpectedly came upon a cattle drive, and then had to manouver very carefully to avoid slipping on fresh cow patties:

Sky Plant Vertebrate Wheel Working animal

Tomorrow morning is planned for the southern half of the Black Hills. Mt. Rushmore, Keystone, Custer State Park, maybe Needles Hy., Iron Mountain Rd., Playhouse Rd., and Rockerville Rd. All are likely destinations.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Today's ride included the stuff I mentioned above and Custer State Park, the Crazy Horse mountain carving, and Old Hill City Rd. The touristy highlights include:

Sky Plant Ecoregion Mountain Bedrock

Grass Terrestrial animal Landscape Grassland Horn

Sky Cloud Plant community Ecoregion Plant

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Iron Mountain Rd. has several corkscrews, where an elevation change is accomplished by the road dipping underneath itself and going under bridge.

Plant Plant community Branch Tree Natural landscape

Plant community Plant Wood Natural landscape Tree

Natural environment Motor vehicle Font Tree Natural landscape

There's also some tunnels that line up with Mt. Rushmore.

Sky Plant Window Building Natural landscape

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One sobering thing to mention is that the Sturgis Rally brings riders in such numbers that crashes are almost inevitable. These signs are posted where there's been a fatal crash, both cagers and bikers, but there's a lot of "failed to negotiate a curve" fatalities with every rally. There's too many of these signs.

Plant Branch Tree Triangle Grass

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Ok, more pics because I'm not gonna end on that note.

Cloud Sky Plant Tire Wheel

Tire Sky Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire

Sky Plant Natural landscape Branch Larch

Wheel Tire Sky Plant Motorcycle

Sky Cloud Wood Tree Fence

And there's an odd coincidence. Three friends who were vacationing together kept showing up where I was over three days. I first saw them at the Sturgis Motorcycle Museum, and bumped into them at several more places that day and the next. And at my first gas stop on the way home, who pulls up as I'm ready to leave but these three!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts