Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Love that ali swing arm, very trick 馃憣
Word, probly next week when temps get warmer, I'll get some decent miles on. With the limited riding, I can say there is an improvement in the handling characteristics. I'll write a full review soon.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Norton Race Spec Clutch Kit

Somein' to do this weeknd. You folks be my lifeline!
IMG_20200515_183756.jpg

Registered
Can you tell if they are Barnett clutch plates? I'm interested to hear how you like the clutch for launching after some time on it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Can you tell if they are Barnett clutch plates? I'm interested to hear how you like the clutch for launching after some time on it.
I'm literally starting these mods now. Bought the friction plates from Spears Racing a while back. Can't actually compare to Barnett's because haven't bought directly from them. They look awfully similar though. Both kevlar friction material, same aluminum carriers. And from my observations, Spears will repackage other brands and call it their own.

There is one small issue that is not explained regarding the 27 mm clutch hub nut. Torquing the nut to proper specs can be tricky. I'll measure the thread depth of the bolt before removing the nut, should give me ball park figure of tightness. Maybe place a gear jammer between the primary drive and oil pump?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yeah, the stack height for the Barnett/Spears friction plates is 15.22 mm. The stock steel plates stack height is 7.9 mm. For a total clutch pack height of 23.12 mm (0.910 inch).

Dang it! We got rain in the next couple days.

Reactions: Grantman

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
You never did review the air filter. Thoughts?

Pardon the delay, as I will upgrade the fueling/tuning near the end. It's the 4th pillar in the build. Of the 4 pillars, they are in order of priority. 1st is ergonomics, 2nd suspension, 3rd brakes, then engine tuning. Trying to sort and test everything as they are installed. 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
PUIG DOWN FORCE SPOILER

Riding conditions: hot and dry weather, all street i.e: twisties and highway, no track testing

Traveled distance: ~250 km

Materials: brackets are steel and powder-coated, plastic winglets (maybe acrylic)

Installation: straight forward, easy.

Fitment: 8/10. Had to enlarge the fairing mounting holes a smidge using a dremel tool in order to align bolts with brackets. And had to add another layer of 3M double sided tape because the ones included is not thick enough to bond the bracket to the fairing.
EDIT: 25-July-2021, I reinforced the winglet brackets by bolting them onto the side fairings. Just tapped one hole on each side. Because the adhesives holding them were failing.

Design: 9/10 for not cutting or modding the fairings. But it sacrifices sturdiness. Kinda flimsy without having to cut into the fairing to reinforce the bracket to make it sturdier.

Price: too high

The product met my expectation. Which, for street use is a novelty item with a 'bite yer head off' killer look. The only difference I felt was, as subtle as it may be, the wind noise was somewhat quieter. Perhaps the winglets controlled some buffeting at speeds north of 60 mph. As we know, the N400 is very stable and planted at higher speeds, but I couldn't feel any type of increased down force or straight line and braking stability at these speeds. Of course, without track testing, top speed was unattainable, so I cannot justify or debunk PUIG's claim of function.
The spoilers partially blocks front indicators as viewed by other drivers in front, but not an issue with my bright LED's.
For the price, wait for a Chinese version if you want em.

IMG_20200626_145625.jpg

IMG_20200626_220156.jpg

IMG_20200626_220248.jpg

IMG_20200627_184853.jpg

IMG_20200628_074146.jpg

IMG_20200628_073915.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Registered
Great write up and thanks for the pictures. Your bike looks awesome and your mods list has got to be extensive and has nearly reached the cost of the bike I bet. ;) Well done!!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Great write up and thanks for the pictures. Your bike looks awesome and your mods list has got to be extensive and has nearly reached the cost of the bike I bet. ;) Well done!!!!
Welcome, you are! Haven't kept tabs on actual cost. I believe with all aftermarket parts both failed and successful (yes I bought many parts that didn't work well or are junk), and tools (they can be hella expensive), yes it has reached the cost of the bike. No doubt the modding bug has bit me hard!! I find the bike has a ton room for improvement and one I plan to keep for years, so my investment can be justified.

Registered
I'm literally starting these mods now. Bought the friction plates from Spears Racing a while back. Can't actually compare to Barnett's because haven't bought directly from them. They look awfully similar though. Both kevlar friction material, same aluminum carriers. And from my observations, Spears will repackage other brands and call it their own.
I called and spoke to Greg when he first came out with his clutch kit, I specifically asked him if they were Barnett friction plates, because he says US supplier, or did say, he said No they were not, but would not tell me exactly who. Maybe EBC, and I doubt Rekluse since they still do not appear to have plates for the 400, although they have one for the 650.

He also said they had slightly greater surface area on the friction pads over Barnett, but hard to say for sure..........I mean I would like to hope he was being truthful with me. He seemed like a good dude and was very nice and friendly, and professional.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I called and spoke to Greg when he first came out with his clutch kit, I specifically asked him if they were Barnett friction plates, because he says US supplier, or did say, he said No they were not, but would not tell me exactly who. Maybe EBC, and I doubt Rekluse since they still do not appear to have plates for the 400, although they have one for the 650.

He also said they had slightly greater surface area on the friction pads over Barnett, but hard to say for sure..........I mean I would like to hope he was being truthful with me. He seemed like a good dude and was very nice and friendly, and professional.

Good to know! Actually bought these friction plates and clutch springs from Spears couple years ago, and only installed them recently. No complaints here. Performance is great so far, it grabs awesome, smooth and firm, with no slippage in higher rpm's. And the clutch springs have a good feel at the lever, not too stiff or soft. Just right!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
NORTON MOTORSPORTS POWER PACKAGE DEAL

Package includes: Akrapovic slip-on exhaust, a pair of Race Spec Velocity Stacks, Norton Racing Race Spec Flashed ECU.

Additional parts to compliment power upgrade, bought elsewhere: Akrapovic full ss headers, Healtech pair valve resistor, TST block-off plate, Sprint Air Filter P08, a pair of OEM exhaust manifold gaskets.
IMG_20200727_150911.jpg

I recently installed this power package and put in about 200 km of street riding. Installation was simple (thank you Brian Van!), but I had to make minor adjustments. Of these adjustments, I torqued the exhaust manifold holder nuts to stock specs of 12 Nm, not the 22 Nm that Akro instructed. I found that the header flange would start to bend or deform past 12 Nm when tightening the nuts. Secondly, using an OverRacing muffler holder bracket, I had to add spacers to get the muffler centered just right.
IMG_20200728_203343.jpg

The third adjustment was for the fitment of the Sprint Air Filter.
Added this filter to the Norton Power Package Deal with modified air-box. Fitment at the seals seemed OK. Butt, the screw mount tab does not sit flush on the screw joint base. Had to place a plastic washer between the mounting tab and screw mount base.

And had to safety-wire the screw in place.

I decided to buy a core ECU offered by Norton and keep my original ECU because I did not want to sit through the downtime of sending in my ECU for flashing with the pandemic and all. Glad I did that because I waited roughly 7 weeks for the order to arrive and did not lose any valuable riding time. There's a twist to this story, as the flashed ECU that I bought was indeed a California 1371 ECU, which prompted me to do the ABS Delete Mod because I lost the speedometer function and wanted to get rid of the ABS led warning light. Also, to facilitate the modified air-box involved deleting the entire ABS system because the ABS hydraulic module was impeding airflow to the new air intake hole.
IMG_20200806_165754.jpg

SENSES PERCEIVED:

Norton made a helluva lot of changes to the ECU parameters thereby releasing full power to this stock engine. Like many have said with this upgrade, it is a night and day transformation.
On-off -on throttle transitions are smoothed out, no more slow speed jerkiness, effortless, incredible!
Idle seems livelier, doesn't skip a beat, velvety smooth.
The engine braking is reduced by roughly 50-60%. And when off the throttle, power is whittled away gradually, progressively. There is no more jerkiness when decelerating because the fuel delivery is gradually decreased. Whereas in stock form, fuel delivery is cut off instantaneously like before. Silky smooth now. Which is great for me and rev-matching seems smoother too. Oh Joy!
The radiator fan kicks on at a lower temperature than before. It kicks on roughly within 4 bars on the meter gauge, I didn't see the temp gauge reach 5 bars with this flash. Fantastic! This reminds me, I gotta get a digital engine temperature gauge to add to my dash, still searching no targets.
The TST block-off plate completely removed annoying backfiring and decel pops.
The HealTech pair valve resistor works. I measured 81 Ohms through that. It probly has an 81 Ohm 1 Watt resistor.
Engine is much more responsive at the throttle. Accelerates like a bat outta h e l l. Climbs through the RPM's like a rocket. OMG!

Had a bunch of DTC's show up upon initial startup, but those were deactivated with the flash, i.e pair valve, purge valve, O2 sensor. So, I erased them quickly and easily with my OBD2 scanner and Kawa adapter. So far all is good with no fault codes.

Let me tell you about the Akro full exhaust mated with this kit. At idle, sounds chill, smooth, yet eager. Crack the throttle a hair, the thing barks! Give it the beans and you just released **** and all its fury!! HAHAHAHA! The thing sounds so angry! Bystanders turn heads, cars scatter, lunacy unleashed, this is magical!

Guys if you wanna find true happiness, then get your ECU flashed! From Norton of course!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
X3Moto Store with CNC Parts by JB-Racing

Ok, first time buying from this online store from Taiwan. Got me some CNC aluminum parts for inspection and installation. Bittersweet findings here.

1. Front foot peg brackets: beefy, lighter, fitment is good.
IMG_20210615_182947.jpg

IMG_20210614_234503.jpg

2. Tie-Rods and Rocker Arm: Beefy, lighter, fitment not so great. Let me explain, yes all parts fit together nicely as a whole, with the tie-rods being OEM length. But, the needle bearings in the rocker arm are a hair too big, so it took some "massaging" to fit the cylindrical sleeve. Had to use my favorite tool, the trusty hammer to bash her home. Normally, I would reject such an occurrence, since there is a slight binding in its movement, but it is not seized. Yes, I did pack it with grease. So, I deem it passable, besides, the rocker arm is limited in its mechanical movement, I decided to give it a go-ahead.
IMG_20210614_195211.jpg

IMG_20210614_234333.jpg

3. Rear Brembo caliper bracket: They effed up here. Width is almost 2 mm thinner than stock. Not good enough, unless you use some shim washers. That's too much work, particularly in this area of tire changes. No thanks, I'll have to pass on this one. Not fond of the lower mounting points either, which has a ruffled aesthetic design. This is bad for mating surfaces. Mating surfaces must be flat for clamping effectiveness. Wanted to try this lightweight bracket to replace my Japanese made Agras bracket. The Agras has excellent fitment, but it's kinda heavy.
IMG_20210615_111329.jpg

IMG_20210615_111600.jpg

IMG_20210615_111736.jpg

IMG_20210615_111927.jpg

21 - 40 of 41 Posts