Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone else having issues at traffic lights with the sensors not registering that they are at the lights.

I've had a few issues where I've waited to turn right at a filter lane and sat there for 4 changes of lights before a car came up behind me and activated the sensor.

I've also had to gesture to a few cars to come closer to me to activate the sensor too.

Hey Emudshit, are you experiencing these issues in Perth as well or am I missing some trick to make them sense me?

With me on the bike, there's 250kg in total sitting on the road.

EDIT - Just found out through the power of Google that it's not weight based, but a magnetic induction loop. Different lights have the loops in different locations (some closer to the white line, some further) As I thought it was weight based, I was sitting the back tyre over the cut out rather than putting the engine over the cut out. I'll try the usual annoying traffic lights using this method when the weather clears up

·
Registered
105 Posts
Some of the junctions in Singapore are a pain in the back too, especially junctions where not much cars pass thru.

I had to go down, walk towards one of the traffic light just to press the pedestrian crossing button and get back on the bike, then the light changes. Or I would have stucked there for like 5 mins like an idiot..

·
Registered
77 Posts
I live in a gated community, and I have noticed that I'm not picked up by the sensor as easily as I was on my old 600. I have to pull up to just the right spot.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There are magnets that you can buy that you stick somewhere on the bottom of the bike. I haven't tried this, but every time I get stuck at one of these lights I wish I had.

But yeah, I usually gesture for the cage behind me to roll up closer. They seem to understand right away what I'm trying to convey.

·
Registered
656 Posts
There are magnets that you can buy that you stick somewhere on the bottom of the bike. I haven't tried this, but every time I get stuck at one of these lights I wish I had.

But yeah, I usually gesture for the cage behind me to roll up closer. They seem to understand right away what I'm trying to convey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM0A8lNAu5Y
Very cool device... Need that inside my swing arm.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah happens to me all the time, A state trooper told me that if that happens after the light cycles three times then you can proceed but to treat intersection as if cross traffic docent stop.
I've had cops wave me on to lane split. Doesn't mean the next cop won't give me a ticket.

I think it just means the trooper you encountered happens to ride. I say this because laws are written down somewhere, and I can't picture the above being in writing. It will be an excuse for every intersection accident, yet it isn't.

Don't expect this to be the norm.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've had cops wave me on to lane split. Doesn't mean the next cop won't give me a ticket.

I think it just means the trooper you encountered happens to ride. I say this because laws are written down somewhere, and I can't picture the above being in writing. It will be an excuse for every intersection accident, yet it isn't.

Don't expect this to be the norm.
I know here in Oklahoma it is legal to treat it as a stop sign. After 2 or 3 cycles, it’s considered an inoperable stop light and becomes a stop sign. They even teach you that in the safety course. The weight pads don’t normally pick up our really light bikes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Rofl- my thoughts exactly (until I saw that youtube video above about magnets not working that is)

And yes, i have a serious problem with not triggering lights. I can't get to work by only making right turns until after the break in period! I just thought that maybe I am doing something wrong- ie, i'm in the wrong position or something. I have tried several places on the cut outs (which by the way- can be circular, square, and diamond.... so that's helpful..) but I can't seem trigger lights pretty much at all..

·
Registered
744 Posts
I've tried the magnets on my previous bike and no it's not the end all solution. I'd say 8 times out of 10 it will not trigger a green light. The method i always use is stopping the bike directly over the induction loop tar snake. And yeah that method too is still hit and miss.

The Velo Loop that Corners mentioned seems like a viable solution. But appears they are sold out.

For $hits and giggles went ahead and ordered this off ebay: Green Light Trigger V3. Seems like a similar transmitter/receiver device. Will post results when I get it. ETA is about 2 to 3 weeks.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4712.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xgreen_light_trigger.TRS0&_nkw=green_light_trigger&_sacat=0

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone else having issues at traffic lights with the sensors not registering that they are at the lights.

I've had a few issues where I've waited to turn right at a filter lane and sat there for 4 changes of lights before a car came up behind me and activated the sensor.

I've also had to gesture to a few cars to come closer to me to activate the sensor too.

Hey Emudshit, are you experiencing these issues in Perth as well or am I missing some trick to make them sense me?

With me on the bike, there's 250kg in total sitting on the road.

EDIT - Just found out through the power of Google that it's not weight based, but a magnetic induction loop. Different lights have the loops in different locations (some closer to the white line, some further) As I thought it was weight based, I was sitting the back tyre over the cut out rather than putting the engine over the cut out. I'll try the usual annoying traffic lights using this method when the weather clears up

I've visited the lights where I've been having issues and stuck the engine over one of the cutouts on the road and it's solved the problem.

I also got a reply from Main Roads explaining how to trigger them:

Date: Tue, 19 Jun. 2018, 23:18
Subject: RE: Web form Feedback: Enquiry - Other
To: ****************************

Dear **********,

Thank you for your email regarding motorbikes not being detected at signalised intersections.

To give you a better idea as to how signalised intersections work, a detector which is a loop of wires senses a change in inductance from vehicles. It is a common misconception that loops are activated by weight. A loop is identifiable by the large rectangle on the road surface before the solid white stop line. A metal object such as a vehicle will produce a larger change in inductance than a motorbike wheel.

To ensure that loops work effectively for motorcyclists stopping on one of the lines, preferably the centre line if marked with diamonds will ensure detection.

If you continue to experience issues at a specific intersection, please let us know and we can arrange a physical investigation of the site.

Your reference for this enquiry is CAS-67671-X7Q4F1.
Kind regards
Sereena
Customer Information Centre
p: 138 138
w: www.mainroads.wa.gov.au<http://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/>

·
Registered
764 Posts
haha welcome to motorcycles mate, I have been dealing with this for 4 years now. if im with a buddy its fine, if im alone i will be waiting all day hence why I always stop a little further across the line at traffic lights so cars behind me get closer because sometimes if the car behind me is to far the light wont change, im thinking its a weight thing not a magnet thing.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just read the reply from main roads, good luck trying to make the light change it just wont happen
All the usual lights that didn't used to work for me now work fine now that I stick the bike directly over one of the cutouts

·
Registered
50 Posts
For $hits and giggles went ahead and ordered this off ebay: Green Light Trigger V3. Seems like a similar transmitter/receiver device. Will post results when I get it. ETA is about 2 to 3 weeks.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4712.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xgreen_light_trigger.TRS0&_nkw=green_light_trigger&_sacat=0
Your above solution might work, it's sending current through a roll of twisted pair copper - this generate electro-magnetic field/frequencies which alter the EMF of the inductive loop. Works the same as the velo loop, but not as powerful, less likely to trigger. I doubt it has enough copper to generate a meaningful electric field.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Google knows everything... and I just found my Active GLT device mentioned here.

I am the inventor of this active device being sold on eBay. The devices work fine for me and several buyers.
You can see eBay feedbacks: https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=green_light_trigger&ftab=AllFeedback
and visitor posts on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ActiveGLT/posts_to_page/

... ordered this off ebay: Green Light Trigger V3. Seems like a similar transmitter/receiver device. Will post results when I get it. ETA is about 2 to 3 weeks.

Watcher905, please share your experience.

Your above solution might work, it's sending current through a roll of twisted pair copper - this generate electro-magnetic field/frequencies which alter the EMF of the inductive loop. Works the same as the velo loop, but not as powerful, less likely to trigger. I doubt it has enough copper to generate a meaningful electric field.
The twisted pair is the cable to the loop antenna. I cannot compare the level of influence to the sensors between my Active GLT and Veloloop. Maybe they can do, as I sold my Green Light Trigger to Santa Clara CA, where Veloloop resides.

Here is the short demo video how it works:

The third version devices are currently out of stock. But "v2" devices with the same performance are available at reduced price.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Pennsylvania enacted the law last year that if you sit through one complete cycle you can legally treat the light as a stop sign. It happens all the time to me here. I let them go through their one cycle and if I'm not signaled I go

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
No problems yet with traffic lights. Parking garages are where I am getting the problem. Twice in two different car parks, I have had to go around/under the arms (fortunately the tickets were validated). I am going to try greenL's GLT to see if I can remain out of jail!! The long line of cars that were behind me were getting angry with their horns, fingers and comments (west los angeles) as I tried ways to activate the card readers.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
YUP... I typically have to move all the way over the lines...which can be quite dangerous as perpendicular traffic are at high speeds. However, because there's so much traffic here, eventually someone in a car will come alongside me and trip the light...so I don't have to wait too long.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts