Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I’ve been researching a lot about on what 1st bike Im going to buy. And I have been choosing between the ktm rc 390 or the ninja 400. But based on what I have heard the ninja 400 is more reliable. But Im worried that I will have a hard time riding it because Im 5’7 and 72kgs. Im afraid Im too short and I will have a hard time using it for commuting, especially here in our country where traffic is unevitable. And I also think the bike’s weight will hinder me. Do you think the ninja 400 will be alright for me? Please I need your answers, this is just the one thing Im worried about.

·
Registered
59 Posts
im about the same size …...I have no problems at all.....I cant quite flat foot both feet but im very close …...I do see people lowering them occasionally, but they are usually closer to 5'0

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yeah, 5' 7", 160 lbs. here.

At first the bike did feel heavy, like on day 1. Then afterwards, I got use to the weight, and now I feel like the bike is lighter than before. Weird, how the body adjusts to things. And I can flat foot .

·
Registered
120 Posts
But Im worried that I will have a hard time riding it because Im 5’7 and 72kgs. Im afraid Im too short and I will have a hard time using it for commuting
This bike feels like it was designed for Kawi's home market, at 5'9" I feel like I'm just a tad bit too big for the bike. The look and feel of it (at the dealership) is that it is large for it's class, until you get it out on the road and it feels like a minibike the way you can flick around the 370lb bike. Just for reference the only comparable bike that is lighter is a KTM RC390 weighing in at 340lbs, what a difference! But, the Ninja seat height is 2 inches shorter at a very comfortable 30 inches; the most common inseam size in America at least. Not to mention the reliability you get with the Kawi over the KTM the choice was pretty obvious for me.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm 5'7' and can sit flatfooted (29 inseam 73.66 cm?)...but I compress the shocks a bit more than you will.. very easy bike to balance and at 370 pounds..easy to handle..

I wanted light and easy and this bike does that.. and it looks.. soooo sexy...

·
Registered
26 Posts
As mentioned, the 400 is fairly light as non-dirt bikes go at 366 lbs. Swapping out the exhaust and battery to after market ones can easily shed another 10 lbs.

BUT most of the weight that you feel is more a function of how you are holding the bike than anything. For instance, if you try moving the bike in neutral with it perfectly upright it will feel WAY lighter than if it is leaning off to one side as you instead of the tires are then holding up more of the weight. I ran into this recently when someone was helping unload my 400 from a hitch carrier. I was undoing the straps and they were like dang this is heavy. I looked, chuckled, and straightened the bike from it's tilt to one side. Then they said oh that's not bad at all. #physics

Another example is this middle aged lady lifting a much heavier Harley from the ground easily because she is using leverage and technique instead of just trying to muscle it.

Bikes are inherently stable in forward motion, which is why many drops happen at extremely low speeds. For instance, a new rider breaks too hard to a stop and throws themselves off balance. As the bike isn't moving it provides little resistance to the rider pulling on it right themselves and then the rider throws down an off balance foot and struggles to hold up the bike. This struggle has little to do with the bike weighting 340 vs 360 or even 450 lbs, but instead the fact that the rider is trying to catch themselves and the bike with an off balance, ill positioned foot. Yes as the bike tips farther and farther over the weight difference add up, but that's not the real reason you are falling over. In a normal stop on a heavier bike any person can (and often does) hold the bike up with one foot.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm about your size and can pretty much flat foot the N400. Weight isn't an issue too. Heck it's lighter than the N300.

For a beginner bike it's great!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts