Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the ninja400riders forums and wanted to do something to my bike finally. After I saw a video on youtube of spray painting windscreens, i taped off the top side and just used some fast dry all purpose matte finish black spray paint we already had at the house (4 light coats) and well im pretty happy with the outcome; i think its well worth the free tinted windscreen if you’ve already got paint.
Thoughts/concerns?

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
I like it.

I've been considering this as well, although I would use plasti dip so it can be peeled off if I don't like it. They also make a smoke version but I haven't tried it.

VHT Niteshades is another option to actually tint the screen but unlike plasti dip it's permanent.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks good, especially on a black bike!

Free mods are the best mods!

I'm holding out for Zero Gravity to release their windscreens. Should be in a week or 2 from what they told me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely like the plasti-dip idea better; if the paint on here fails later on ill go with that or even the VHT (didnt know that was a thing, would have probably bought that)
Will probably buy the VHT this week and try it on my clear visor and post how that went

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Visor tint fail

Went to buy VHT but tried this stuff from a hobby store they use this to tint the windows on RC cars and whatnot.
Almost thought it was a success Until i looked through it...

So add that to the list of things that dont work lol

Ordered the smoked visor for my helmet right after? only $25 but i like trying to DIY myself there first.
At this rate; buying two more things and im in more than the new visor cost anyways.

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
New to the ninja400riders forums and wanted to do something to my bike finally. After I saw a video on youtube of spray painting windscreens, i taped off the top side and just used some fast dry all purpose matte finish black spray paint we already had at the house (4 light coats) and well im pretty happy with the outcome; i think its well worth the free tinted windscreen if you’ve already got paint.
Thoughts/concerns?
That totally make your bike look dope... If I could leave a hole big enough for my Gopro to see through it be even better... Nice job man.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
This is a cheap DIY way of getting a tinted look to your wind shield that many have done before me.
For the cost of a can of matt plasti-dip you can darken your screen with the added benefit of being able to peel it off if you do a stink job of it the first time or just change your mind and decide to spend 150 bucks on the real deal or go back to the clear original look.

You will need to remove the screen first which is dead easy - four screws and your done.

Tape around the edge with decorators edging tape that will peel off easily when your finished. roll it over onto the front of the screen to protect that side from over spray.

It took me six light coats to get full coverage. If you put too much on at once it will run.

I ran a mini box knife around the edge of the tape before pulling it off so the tape came away nicely and the plasti-dip stayed put.

A few pics:

P1000496.JPG

P1000499.JPG

P1000500.JPG

P1000501.JPG

·
Registered
263 Posts
Nice Job @Kiwi Rider !

I like how you masked the edge bead, that makes it look real sharp. Six thin coats shows that you are a patient man, and make for a better painter than me.

I like the idea of using the knife to cut along the tape line. I ruined my first attempt pulling the tape off, and it pulling the plasi-dip off too. They say to pull the tape off with the last coat still wet, but that can be a challenging mess.

Since it is easy to remove, you have given me the confidence to try mine again!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sorry to point this out mate, but you realise you've just done a mod that adds weight to your Ninja! :surprise:

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I can't afford a replacement windscreen right now so I seen that a few of you on here have painted or dipped yours so I followed suit! It looks so much better in black! I can't see through it but I never need to anyway lol.
Nice job, what product did you use? I've decided to keep mine on now, think it looks quite good. The boat was out there for a while initially.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Nice job, what product did you use? I've decided to keep mine on now, think it looks quite good. The boat was out there for a while initially.
I used plastidip, so if I ever do decide to get rid of the bike I can peel it off and still have a stock windscreen incase the new owner doesn't like the aftermarket I plan to put on.
I also got the factory links and kickstand from the dealer so it can be put back to stock also.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Thoughts/concerns?
Firehhh!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts