Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The old:
My 2018 ninja 400 stock tires, the Dunlop GPR 300’s, died of good usage at about 4,500 miles. The tire suffers from being just a standard tire, with barely acceptable feedback, ok cornering, poor sidewall wear, and not very good tire life. This is my perspective coming from my Blackbird cbr1100xx with Angel GT II preferred tires. That got about 5k miles, riding hard, good feedback, a great quality tire for a heavy sportbike.

Losing 180 lbs in bike weight to the Ninja 400, I would assume slightly better tire life, even riding hard, and using a basic tire. The Dunlops, from my perspective, are ok, but need to be retired as soon as your first set wears out, or sooner. The profile of the tire is fairly flat, meaning you have less cornering ability. The rubber compound is ok, but it does not provide much detailed feedback, especially in the corners. Also, when using the tire edges when cornering hard, leaned over, a lot, the tires develop a weird very slight concave near the edge.

Take this with the fact I have an Ohlins 36stx hypersport shock, and its tuned pretty well now. The first couple thousand miles were from the first owner. They were not ridden very hard based on wear marks.

The picture shows the end of life.

The new:
Pirelli Diablo Rosso III: Yes. Just yes. Spot on fantastic tire for this moto. The profile is rounder providing much better cornering. The rubber provides great feedback. I am currently using 35 psi front, 37 rear, for street hard sport riding. Been recently reviewing Dave Moss videos for help, and confirmation the shock is setup right/well. It just feels like a whole new moto, in a way it should have been, and finally is! Just did a long day up the California coast, route 1, some of the best, constant clean twisty roads.

From good grip in the morning escaping a drizzly wet San Francisco, to amazing dry grip on sunny warm roads. Even after hard street corning, grinding some titanium knee slider sparkers for fun, the edges have another 10 to 12 millimeter of rubber left for more lean angle. The rounder profile means better feel and predictability. This being their first hard ride, getting used to traction and confidence was the goal, not necessarily pushing the edge. Fabulous tire, highly recommended. Mileage life tbd. Not really expecting any more mileage, but the increase in all around performance makes up for anything else.

New, post first hard day trip riding:

Link is for tire reference:

Just get it. Worth every penny.

Picture of where the tire, and I, love to be...

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Good write up. Sounds like a worthy upgrade. Just curious about your tyre pressures as they seem pretty high. Is that what Pirelli recommends or what you've worked out is best for you?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good write up. Sounds like a worthy upgrade. Just curious about your tyre pressures as they seem pretty high. Is that what Pirelli recommends or what you've worked out is best for you?
Yea, the tire pressure is one of those personally specific and use specific items. Its a balance of use, traction, wear, performance. The shop put it higher, as they do. I had it at 34/36 and that was good, tried the 35/37 on my ride. Felt good, grippy, and pretty in tune with the suspension. Given the Pirelli’s are a soft walled tire, they tend to need a little more psi than the Dunlops.

I would lower it way down for the track, by 4 to 5 psi or more. In all other use cases it is a balance of tire wear, grip, and life. Higher tire pressure, longer life, less response and grip, and more reliance on suspension. Still dialing in the specifics for me and the moto.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
2.7k miles on the tires now. I can report they are still fantastic, love em. Mileage is about as I would expect for these tires and my riding style. I am going to be right about 3k+ miles. I have a set of Rosso II's that will go on next. Will expect about the same life. Then I think Angel GT tires. Interested to see how they perform with 180 lbs less than using them on the Blackbird.

(Rechecked mileage and adjusted the post. Was off by 700. Memory. Overated.)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's your experience with front/rear tire wear?

So, I am ready to replace the rear, and I have always done the front along with. Always. I double checked my front today, and it is totally fine. I mean fine. It would be pushing it to say 50%. I have kept 36psi in the rear, 34 front. Anyone else have this experience on the N400? Even if the front were noticeably down from 50%, I would replace. But it's nowhere close. Seems I could actually get a two for one rears/front.

·
Registered
477 Posts
2 rears to 1 front is very common, not just on the N400. The rear tire is always pushing the bike forward and is the connection between the power and the road, so it wears more than the front.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I checked tread depth. I compared to the set of Rosso II’s I have waiting. Assuming tread depth is similar, it starts at 3.5mm depth. Looks like I am at 2.5mm, so one mm usage, plenty to go. All in just over 3k miles, on the front. I am still amazed at so little wear. This gets ridden pretty hard. Put the Vesrah RJL pads on the front. Pretty psyched the 400 just keeps showing all its prowess and savings!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would love to upgrade to higher quality tires. Ninjabird, You have me sold on these Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3. Just have to budget for them which could be a big challenge.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Official tire mileage for the rear Pirelli Rosso III: 3,150.
On to a Rosso II rear, and second half of the front.
BikeBandit has a pair of Pirelli Diablo Rosso III for $255.43. Of course ad tax but shipping is included. I pull my own wheels off. Have a friend that will mount and balance for about $20 each. Have 2500 miles on stock Dunlops but looking ahead.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Don't forget that the tires may also incur an extra fee if you take them to the dump (presuming you don't have a collection of worn-out tires that you want to add to). I think that was the case when I cleared a lot of stuff to the SF dump, most of it was no charge but once they saw old tires . . . . If you can get a local shop that will take care of that (and in CA you'll have to pay the recycling fee to the state too) it might be worth spending a bit more to keep them in business a little longer and letting them provide and mount/balance tires on wheels that you take in. That all depends of course on how much the differential is, but by the time you pay shipping and dump fees it may not be too big of a difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts