Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all :)

As topic title, I've put down the deposit and as long as it's as described when I see it on Saturday then it'll be mine, an '18 Ninja EX 400 Performance edition in black with 1571 miles. I've been riding 125 scooters since 2012 but have owned quite a few geared bikes previous to that. I have a near 100 mile ride home (home is North West UK), hope this little Ninja is ok keeping up with motorway (freeway) traffic? I'm excited :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome. Wow, an '18 that's barely broken in!

Don't worry about the motorways, these 400s are happy to ride 80 mph all day and have a top speed in excess of 100 (at least in US spec).
Thankyou. That's good to know about the cruising speed. Yeah it's pretty low mileage, lack of use is why they are selling the bike. Once I have it I will upload a pic or 2 :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My old 1984 CH250 would do 100+KM on the highway, but it was like riding a small plastic toy with tiny wheels - but at 100KM :)

ah sounds like fun! in 2016 i rode a 2004 honda dylan 125 from the UK to Spain, never went over 100kmh! literally everything overtook me. i had a blast!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Welcome. Wow, an '18 that's barely broken in!

Don't worry about the motorways, these 400s are happy to ride 80 mph all day and have a top speed in excess of 100 (at least in US spec).
I think realistic (easy) highway cruising is 90 mph. Top speed is going to be 110ish.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
True. But it's my understanding that the highest legal speed in the UK is only 70 mph. We don't want to make the OP jealous.:giggle:
You're correct, motorways are 70mph. there's widely thought to be an unwritten rule that police will turn a blind eye to anything up to 85mph (safely) on a motorway. i think 70mph is just fine, if i can cruise at that then i'll be happy.

btw i'm jealous (not in a bad way!) of alot of things you guys/gals have in the US :D the UK isn't bad but it's not as good in many ways as the USA. i think 1 of the only things we may have better is free healthcare to everyone :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Keep us updated Cris. Saturday will be here before you know it!
Will do, I will post pics on Sunday most probably as I should be home around 6-7pm on saturday and it will need a wash after the 100 mile home journey. I'm all prepared, have a big wad of cash counted out, i'm insured on it. Just hope it is as described...but with only 1571 miles i think it will be good...his ebay feedback is good and the pics look fine.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
You're correct, motorways are 70mph. there's widely thought to be an unwritten rule that police will turn a blind eye to anything up to 85mph (safely) on a motorway. i think 70mph is just fine, if i can cruise at that then i'll be happy.

btw i'm jealous (not in a bad way!) of alot of things you guys/gals have in the US :D the UK isn't bad but it's not as good in many ways as the USA. i think 1 of the only things we may have better is free healthcare to everyone :)
Blind eye up to 85? Now I'm jealous. But don't worry about the 400, the bike can handle that. It's been my impression in the US that 10 over is generally safe if you're riding right, or faster if you're going with the pace of traffic and not standing out. But we do have a lot of states with interstate highway speeds posted above 70, particularly in the west.

My college offered a year long program in the UK, I regret that I didn't take it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Blind eye up to 85? Now I'm jealous. But don't worry about the 400, the bike can handle that. It's been my impression in the US that 10 over is generally safe if you're riding right, or faster if you're going with the pace of traffic and not standing out. But we do have a lot of states with interstate highway speeds posted above 70, particularly in the west.

My college offered a year long program in the UK, I regret that I didn't take it.
I will visit the US one day....been saying that since i was knee high though :D and I'm 48 now! i'd love to do a road trip, by bike or by car, from 1 coast to the other, or explore the east or west coasts top to bottom.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
quick question if i may? : i've just read on this forum that these N400's will only go into neutral or 1st gear once they are stopped, is that true? it's no problem but would rather know in advance in case i try neutral or 1st when moving, can't select them and think there's a fault.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
well i bought it, got home about 2 hours ago.
thoughts?
it's in v good condition, unmarked as far as i can tell, bar 1 stone chip on the tank. my ass was aching a little after the 2 hour ride home, wrists were ok its pretty upright for a sports bike, legs were slightly stiff. it did motorway speeds just fine. great on fuel. i like the look of it in the flesh, its bigger than i thought, its weighs noticeably more than my pcx 125. gears took a little getting used to after riding a scooter, could even say at 1st they were a very minor PITA! but the clutch action is light, gears and neutral could be found easily, and the gear indicator was useful.

will clean tomorrow and post a pic :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts