Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i got my coffman's exhuast I chose "gold" for the tip. It ended up almost matching the "solar yellow" on the bike, despite it being more orange than yellow.

Anyways I ordered some Driven Racing Swing Arm Sliders in "Gold." It doesn't match at all, way to yellow. I'm a stickler for the details. Having them stripped and reanodized would not only cost more than I am willing to pay. It would take too long and there would be no guarantee it would match. So I came up with a ghetto solution, I honestly don't know how long it will hold up as it is a polycarbonate paint.

Get yourself some Tamiya PS-43 Transulcent orange
and some rust-o-leum 2k matte clear coat

I masked off the threaded hole for the slider, and the back side that sits against the swingarm. I don't think the paint would last long on those surfaces and no one can see it, so no need to spray them.

Translucent paint gets darker the more you spray, so just take your time and keep applying until the color is close enough for you to not care anymore. No need for multiple coats, this isn't the right way to do this anyway.
comparison photo1
comparison photo2
Nice thing about this as well as that the machining marks and such still show through.

All sprayed up

Wait for them to dry... 30 minutes or so depending on conditions. and then spray with clear coat.

How it matches with the bike

All in all, still doesn't match but should be close enough to not notice unless you get close. Time will tell as to how long it lasts. :3tens:

Imgur album

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm going to hang around and see how this holds up to the test of time. I've been really struggling to find anything that at least offers "orange" versions. It's rather irritating.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is what it looks like on the bike.
https://i.imgur.com/rS8scoG.jpg
Just torquing the rear axle caused paint to be damaged underneath the washer. While installing a new cotter pin, I slipped and it put a scratch in the paint. I doubt this would hold up for heel guards at all. Might have to redo the paint job when I change tires. I'm going to start looking into an anodizing solution, for longevity.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here is what it looks like on the bike.
https://i.imgur.com/rS8scoG.jpg
Just torquing the rear axle caused paint to be damaged underneath the washer. While installing a new cotter pin, I slipped and it put a scratch in the paint. I doubt this would hold up for heel guards at all. Might have to redo the paint job when I change tires. I'm going to start looking into an anodizing solution, for longevity.
I kind of feared that would be the case. Keep us updated on your findings on the anodizing solution. I'm curious to see how that goes. Sure we can't be the only few wanting accessories/mods to match our awesomely colored bikes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts