Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I noticed the engine light on. I checked the error code and I got a code 67: oxygen sensor heater malfunction. Tomorrow, I can do the first part of the diagnostic and check the resistance of the sensor.

The only thing that I did lately is swap a Kemimoto exhaust slip-on for a Yoshimura Alpha (both second hand but in good condition). Could this affect the sensor? I don't see how, but I still consider myself a n00b so anything is possible in my mind.

If it is not only the sensor that is disconnected (I will try to clear the error codes), I will have it replaced by the dealer. Crossing my fingers that it is not the ECU that failed.

What are the risks of riding with the oxygen sensor heater problem? Can it affect the fuel mixture and cause engine damage? I don't want to stop riding unless necessary but I also don't want to damage the bike out of carelessness, either.

PS: When swapping the slip-on, I had to force the Yoshi in. I was shaking the whole exhaust. Maybe this disconnected something. Also, I found this info, not bike specific but could be interesting: Diagnosing O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Failures | MOTOR.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Today I noticed the engine light on. I checked the error code and I got a code 67: oxygen sensor heater malfunction. Tomorrow, I can do the first part of the diagnostic and check the resistance of the sensor.

The only thing that I did lately is swap a Kemimoto exhaust slip-on for a Yoshimura Alpha (both second hand but in good condition). Could this affect the sensor? I don't see how, but I still consider myself a n00b so anything is possible in my mind.

My guess would be that you either twisted the O2 sensor electrical cable getting it off and then on, if you did not dusconnect it at the OEM harness and unfasten all the clips between the OEM conenctor and the O2 sensor body/ Or, you mashed one or more of the 4 pins in the O2 sensor-yo-OEM harness connector. This will manifest as one or mre pins being shorter in protruding length.

If it is not only the sensor that is disconnected (I will try to clear the error codes), I will have it replaced by the dealer. Crossing my fingers that it is not the ECU that failed.

What are the risks of riding with the oxygen sensor heater problem? Can it affect the fuel mixture and cause engine damage? I don't want to stop riding unless necessary but I also don't want to damage the bike out of carelessness, either.

With the heater not working, the O2 sensor won't give a proepr signal (it needs the heater to function). So, yes, that will prevent proper AFR maniuplation by the ECU to attain its target AFR. But, I suspect that even if you clear the fault code, it will immediately come back, since the ECU DEMANDS the signal.

PS: When swapping the slip-on, I had to force the Yoshi in. I was shaking the whole exhaust. Maybe this disconnected something. Also, I found this info, not bike specific but could be interesting: Diagnosing O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Failures | MOTOR.
The O2 sensor on the 400 sits VEREY tight to the crankcase. If you were manipulating the exhaust foreward and rearward, you could easily have scraped the wiring.

If you had an O2 Sensor Eliminator, you could fool the ECU into thinking there iS an O2 sesnor until you can get a replacement.

Jim G

·
Registered
1,786 Posts

Or do this....ZZ.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had the same code a couple months back. Just took it in and it was covered by warranty.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! Mine is no longer covered by the warranty, I bought the bike in 2019 without the extended warranty. I don't mind replacing it (either myself, if really easy or go to the dealer).

The sensor delete is an excellent idea and it is what I would do but unfortunately I don't have one in my possession. The ECU flash is something that I want to do eventually but not right now (I already spend enough money on the bike that my gf will probably audit me :D). Also, I am not certain that I want to eliminate the 02 sensor. If I do the ECU, it will be in the off season, I don't have the patience to wait a couple of weeks without riding.

Jim: this is what I was thinking, I must have done something. I did not remove the exhaust but it was wiggling when I was pushing the slip-on in place.

I don't mind having the engine light on for a while, I already drove a car for years with a similar problem. But the question that I have right now, what are the consequences of riding the bike in this condition, until it gets fixed?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks guys! Mine is no longer covered by the warranty, I bought the bike in 2019 without the extended warranty. I don't mind replacing it (either myself, if really easy or go to the dealer).

The sensor delete is an excellent idea and it is what I would do but unfortunately I don't have one in my possession. The ECU flash is something that I want to do eventually but not right now (I already spend enough money on the bike that my gf will probably audit me :D). Also, I am not certain that I want to eliminate the 02 sensor. If I do the ECU, it will be in the off season, I don't have the patience to wait a couple of weeks without riding.

Jim: this is what I was thinking, I must have done something. I did not remove the exhaust but it was wiggling when I was pushing the slip-on in place.

I don't mind having the engine light on for a while, I already drove a car for years with a similar problem. But the question that I have right now, what are the consequences of riding the bike in this condition, until it gets fixed?
IIRC the bike may run a little, more, on the lean side as a safety precaution. Which, I think can cause burnt valves. It's probably not likely, but it may happen. Another option is that you can just buy a cheap aftermarket or used sensor for like 50$. OEM was somewhere in the $150 ballpark. Fortunately for me, the previous owner bought the extra warranty hehe. I'm not too mechanical/technical with this stuff, so I might be wrong.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. That does not sound so good but I will probably ride it only as necessary. I will investigate today and call the dealer if the problem persists. In this case I will probably order an 02 eliminator as well from KawasakiBrad, just in case, it can be handful.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks. That does not sound so good but I will probably ride it only as necessary. I will investigate today and call the dealer if the problem persists. In this case I will probably order an 02 eliminator as well from KawasakiBrad, just in case, it can be handful.
Yeah, if you are for sure doing the ECU/intake/exhaust, might as well imo. There are a few threads on this topic in this forum you can look into. That's where I read about the ECU running lean if the sensor is malfunctioning. You can also try to clear the code and see if it pops up again. I don't recall the procedure, you'll have to look that up too lol. I remember that Kiwi was the one who posted the how to though. Something like holding the two buttons down for 5 seconds while turning the key or something.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, this is what I plan do to today: take a look at the sensor and measure the resistance (first step of the diagnostic process). Then, plug it back it and clear the code (I put the link to clearing codes in my first post). I am not going to replace the whole exhaust. I am just street riding for now.

Any ideas where I can order a new or used 02 sensor, if the code does not clear? I want to see if it is cheaper than from the dealer.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yes, this is what I plan do to today: take a look at the sensor and measure the resistance (first step of the diagnostic process). Then, plug it back it and clear the code (I put the link to clearing codes in my first post). I am not going to replace the whole exhaust. I am just street riding for now.

Any ideas where I can order a new or used 02 sensor, if the code does not clear? I want to see if it is cheaper than from the dealer.
Sorry I'm at work, so I've just been scanning posts. Hm the 02 sensor I think I saw some on Ebay. Alternatively, you can search the forums if anyone is getting rid of theirs, you can check Offerup/Clist to see if anyone is parting out a crashed bike or something, or you can also try your luck with STG, Norton, etc to see if they have aftermarket parts for sale.
I never really mod my bikes/cars anymore - unless something breaks or wears out. Fortunately, the 400 has had almost no issues, so I don't have much experience part sourcing.

Reactions: Teorist

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks!

Now I need some advice for disconnecting the 02 sensor lead. What is a good way to go about it? I tried to press the two "hooks" that hold it in place but no success of getting them to move inside so I can disconnect the lead. What do you guys use to press them? I tried the tip of a small hex tool but the things to not seem to move and I don't want to damage anything.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Question for @Jim G : you mention on a different thread that the 02 Eliminator should not be used with a cat. I guess that as a temporary solution it OK though?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Question for @Jim G : you mention on a different thread that the 02 Eliminator should not be used with a cat. I guess that as a temporary solution it OK though?
Temporary, yes, but understand that you are slightly degrading the CAT when doing so, and that means more heat radiated into the engine crankcase which already gets heated too much by the OEM exhaust and the hot CAT. If you do it long enough, you will heat the CAT enough to start the CAT internally breaking down, which will add even more exhaust restriction than the CAT already creates. This is all "in theory". I don't know how well theory translates into practice on the 400.

Jim G

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Update: I talked to the service guy from the dealer. Obviously, without investigating he cannot be sure. But he told me that a slip-on MAY trigger such an error, it would require an ECU flash / update. So given that, I will do the following diagnostic procedure:
1) Put everything back on. See if the code clears after 3 rides (more than 10 minutes, etc)
2) If not, put back the Kemimoto. See if the code clears.
3) If not, put back the stock slip-on. See if the code clears.
4) If not, measure the resistance of the sensor / bring it back to the dealer.

I may also get the O2 Eliminator as a backup but since I have the CAT I will use it as a crutch.

PS: The guy told me that there should be no issue riding it as long as I don't "beat it".

Thank you Jim!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Problem gone after I did the clearing procedure. I don't know why, today I just removed the side cover and attempted unsuccessfully to unplug the O2 sensor. I wiggled the wires to the best of my ability in order to make sure that everything was OK. I will keep an eye on things, I am still wondering why it happened.

Thanks all for your help and suggestions. Special thanks to @Kiwi Rider for his informative posts about clearing error codes (I did not find this procedure in the workshop manual yet, but I am new to these things): Clearing error/fault codes. Another special thanks to Jim G for his informative posts about the O2 Eliminator: Oxygen Sensor Eliminator - Potential Tuning Use on a.... This and some info on Booster Plug helped gain more info about how the ECU and the bike generally work. The O2 Eliminator became a lesser priority for me but I will still get it, it looks like a great tool to have lying around.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Teorist... Good on you... It's nice to see someone acknowledge the efforts of another member's reply.
How often does the Forum have a 1st time OP ask for assistance on some subject... never to be heard of again? :mad::mad:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yes, too few people recognize that you have to give as well as get in an online community, in order for the community to function properly, and when you do get, you should say "thank-you". :)

Jim G

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got an error code 33 today, oxygen sensor malfunction. :( It did not reset by itself. Tomorrow, I will play around with the wires and see if it goes away. If this keeps on, I will change the slip-on until the end of the season, to see if this happens again. As it seems to be an intermittent problem, I guess that I will need a longer period of time for observation.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I swapped the slip-ons today. The code went away. I will see what happens next week. But I have a feeling that the Yoshimura causes the error. For one thing, I noticed that under similar conditions, the Yoshimura runs cooler, based on the bike's temperature gauge. I don't know why that is but it is a noticeable difference. Could be that the O2 sensor is not working properly or maybe that the larger exhaust affects somehow the temperature of the exhaust.

Anyway, when I reset the codes, I noticed that I did not enjoy riding as much, I don't like my baby to suffer and it takes a certain amount of my attention, to always check the time and the speed.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts