Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ninja 400
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts on sizing up the stock tires from 110|150 to 120|160? I've heard a 110|140 combo was easier for turn in, but some tires only come in 120 fronts.

Also, what tires do yall recommend? Here are my choices currently:
  1. Dunlop Q3+
  2. Pirelli Rosso 3
  3. Pirelli SC 2
  4. Pirelli SC 3
Any other tire I should consider and what is the mileage like for track and daily use?

·
Registered
2013 Ninja 300
206 Posts
Those are all good tires. Just get the one you like the most, or the one that costs less. The SC will probably be softer and last a bit less but will give you more grip, at least in the dry

120/60 in the front works fine. It's about preference. The 120 will feel more stable. The 110 will turn in quicker and feel nimbler. The difference will be very subtle for the non-very experienced riders.

I guess you can expect about 5000 mls if you ride track and spirited street riding. If you commute the bike, then some more.

·
Vendor
2019 Kawasaki Ninja 400 ABS
79 Posts
I recommend 110/70 and 140/70 (OEM size) and for what tire to run, its also preference.

Dunlops are a stiffer compound, and you'll feel every little bump and crack in the road as compared the Pirelli. That being said, I prefer the Pirelli SC1/SC2 over dunlop as I feel much more planted all the way to the edge of the tire. Dunlop likes to give you little warnings as you get to the edge of traction, which coming from years of Michelin and Pirelli usage on the street and track, I'm having to get used to (Dunlop MotoAmerica Slicks is what I'm currently running).

Mileage will be less on the Pirelli, but you'll feel more planted and they heat up super fast. Dunlop will last slightly longer but takes longer to heat up and gives you more feedback.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I recommend 110/70 and 140/70 (OEM size) and for what tire to run, its also preference.

Dunlops are a stiffer compound, and you'll feel every little bump and crack in the road as compared the Pirelli. That being said, I prefer the Pirelli SC1/SC2 over dunlop as I feel much more planted all the way to the edge of the tire. Dunlop likes to give you little warnings as you get to the edge of traction, which coming from years of Michelin and Pirelli usage on the street and track, I'm having to get used to (Dunlop MotoAmerica Slicks is what I'm currently running).

Mileage will be less on the Pirelli, but you'll feel more planted and they heat up super fast. Dunlop will last slightly longer but takes longer to heat up and gives you more feedback.
I have a 140 michelin rear now but was only able to get a 150 replacement. Do you know approximately what ride height changes are usually made from one to the other profile to make it similar?

·
Vendor
79 Posts
I have a 140 michelin rear now but was only able to get a 150 replacement. Do you know approximately what ride height changes are usually made from one to the other profile to make it similar?
I'd just ride it as is, it's different but unless you're really pushing on track (in which case you'll feel the difference and go to your suspension expert to have them change it as needed) the settings will be so similar on the street you probably won't notice. The 150 is too wide for me personally, and I don't like the turn-in of a wider tire.

·
Registered
2018 Ninja 400
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I kinda wanna try the Pirelli SC 2 or 3 but the min size front is 120. Would 120|140 work or should I do 120|150?

Q3+ has 110|140 setup available.

·
Vendor
79 Posts
You need to get in touch with a Pirelli dealer, as they definitely have 110 fronts. I ran SC1/2 for years on my Ninja250/R3/N400, 110/140s

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
For street and track the Q3+ is hard to beat. For this tire I'd stick with the 150 rear as the 140 is really tiny and designed for the 250 with a smaller rim. If you want track only, slicks, 140 rear is all there is and perfect. The Dunlop is a great race tire. They come in one compound for the front but three for the rear. The Pirelli slicks in the 110/140 size only come in one compound, the SC1. Also good but different.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'd just ride it as is, it's different but unless you're really pushing on track (in which case you'll feel the difference and go to your suspension expert to have them change it as needed) the settings will be so similar on the street you probably won't notice. The 150 is too wide for me personally, and I don't like the turn-in of a wider tire.
Thanks. This is for my track bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What track(s) are you going to & what tire vendor(s) will be there? That's question 1. For these little bikes, I've yet to find something that doesn't work great (Have used pirelli, mich, dunlop and bridgestone)...and they all last forever (even the softest compounds)...Base your brand on available vendors & your choice on your speed (& whether or not you have tire warmers). Is always nice to have vendor support at the track in case you run into handling/wear/pressure issues...or need a replacement for just the front or rear..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts