Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
And use gloves as coolant cancerous....
Ethylene glycol is not carcinogenic. However drinking it can kill you. If you are the type that might accidentally drink antifreeze get a propylene glycol based engine coolant. You’ll live longer. :)

·
Registered
553 Posts
Ethylene glycol is not carcinogenic. However drinking it can kill you. If you are the type that might accidentally drink antifreeze get a propylene glycol based engine coolant. You’ll live longer. :)
Idk, there was a story here once of a man that worked at a garage, the vehicle was on a lift above him, he opened the cap and coolant came down at him, later died at the hospital. And then later there was alot of coverage on the subject...Never got into depth but it's not good in general

·
Registered
Ninja 400 2018
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
@Joao18 do you replace the radiator hoses as well? Mine is hitting the 3 year mark and I am wondering if to do so..
No, just check the hoses for damage or wear, squeeze them and see if they feel soft and pliable, kawasaki maintenance period for changing the hoses is too overkill, if the hoses are fine keep them there, i am only going to flush all the green coolant 3 or 4 times to make sure there is no residue that can mix with the new coolant. The hoses can last 10 or more years, look at our cars, i have 23 year old cars with original hoses still and no problems.

·
Registered
553 Posts
No, just check the hoses for damage or wear, squeeze them and see if they feel soft and pliable, kawasaki maintenance period for changing the hoses is too overkill, if the hoses are fine keep them there, i am only going to flush all the green coolant 3 or 4 times to make sure there is no residue that can mix with the new coolant. The hoses can last 10 or more years, look at our cars, i have 23 year old cars with original hoses still and no problems.
Idk Im really on the fence about it, several bucks each and the job seems easy. Sure it's not really common to do so and even after 3 years, wondering if I should do this. Maybe @b0Xcrash can chip in too :D

·
Registered
Ninja 400 2018
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Idk Im really on the fence about it, several bucks each and the job seems easy. Sure it's not really common to do so and even after 3 years, wondering if I should do this. Maybe @b0Xcrash can chip in too :D
Sabe goes for brake lines, if they are good and dont leak, leave it! If it aint broken dont fix it! Also i have an 1970s Kubota tractor still using the original radiator hoses! :ROFLMAO:
But it is up to you, if you dont mind the job and have the money, go for it!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Right, they say change the rubber brake lines on motorcycles every 5 years....the best away around this is go to SS lines instead, also get a performance gain since SS do not expand like the rubber lines do :)

But I had older bikes that were 20 years old that had the original lines on them and they stopped just fine

·
Registered
986 Posts
Right, they say change the rubber brake lines on motorcycles every 5 years....the best away around this is go to SS lines instead, also get a performance gain since SS do not expand like the rubber lines do :)

But I had older bikes that were 20 years old that had the original lines on them and they stopped just fine
Years ago, I 'upgraded' with SS brake lines on my '83 BMW R80RT, and the difference in feel at the brake lever was night and day. However, with a marginal dual rotor front disc brake and an antiquated drum brake on the rear.... that bike never "stopped just fine". I could almost drag my boot heels and yell wooo and get better results. Good thing it was woefully under-powered and slow as an mule.... No need to worry... just coast to a stop. :whistle:

·
Registered
Ninja 400 2018
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Just finished changing the coolant, its was pretty good looking, no flakes or contaminants in it. Found some stupid mistakes made by the dealer when he installed the crash pads,there a missing fairing screw, one plastic washer and one of the rubber grommets that the Christmas tree clamps hold on to was all crooked and the clamp was between the grommet and the metal hole where the grommets clamps. Never again, dealers, never again. Other than that it went pretty smooth, this bike is so easy to work on.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts