Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
One engine, 2 wheels, Squid rider 😂🐙
1,055 Posts
At most of our age on the forum some Depends. 😂
I keep a med kit from my Hyundai in the pillion bag for that one day long trip I plan on the bike.
Most important thing I'd say is a burn cream of some sort or a belt as used for a turnequet. 👍

·
Registered
111 Posts
Medical kit and training is a great topic, and not one I've seen on a forum. I think the best thing you can have is some basic training in how to help others. 3 years ago I pulled into a gas station on a rainy day and someone came running up to me before I got off the bike. His coworker in a garbage disposal truck had stopped breathing. I ran over, we got him out of the truck and I started chest compressions while I was still in my gear until EMS arrived. Unfortunately I don't believe he made it but I felt like at least we did the best we could to give him a chance.
I'd encourage people to learn CPR and take the "Stop The Bleed" class. Stop the Bleed is a free course offered around the country. Like it's name says, it focuses on how to stop traumatic bleeding. I already knew basic Red Cross first aid, but found stop the bleed to be really helpful in learning to use a tourniquet etc. I think it took 3 hours of my time and I feel like I walked away much better prepared for some of the sports I do.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Medical kit and training is a great topic, and not one I've seen on a forum. I think the best thing you can have is some basic training in how to help others. 3 years ago I pulled into a gas station on a rainy day and someone came running up to me before I got off the bike. His coworker in a garbage disposal truck had stopped breathing. I ran over, we got him out of the truck and I started chest compressions while I was still in my gear until EMS arrived. Unfortunately I don't believe he made it but I felt like at least we did the best we could to give him a chance.
I'd encourage people to learn CPR and take the "Stop The Bleed" class. Stop the Bleed is a free course offered around the country. Like it's name says, it focuses on how to stop traumatic bleeding. I already knew basic Red Cross first aid, but found stop the bleed to be really helpful in learning to use a tourniquet etc. I think it took 3 hours of my time and I feel like I walked away much better prepared for some of the sports I do.
I think this is the best answer. Happened to me once as well: I was trained as a first responder for the office but when I faced a guy having a heart attack i a martial arts call, it was difficult to remember the proper procedure. It was the same with other first responders that were there. Luckily, there was an ex-nurse there who, together with the instructor, managed to keep him alive for the time it took the ambulance to get there, which was over 20 minutes. My only contribution was the face mask I was carrying with me. One of the problems was that the procedure was pretty complex and detailed back then and under stress I could not remember it. Also, to be a first responder you used to get to train only once every 3 years which is not really helpful. Since then the procedure has been simplified. The story ended well: the guy fully recovered without any side effects. It was pretty tough because his daughters were with him and they panicked, I don't blame them.

Ok, my super secret addition to normal med kit is superglue. You can instantly close any gash and prevent bleeding out. But you got to be careful. You don’t want to glue your fingers to your buddies femoral artery. It could be embarrassing when the emts get there.
Glue works but to my knowledge only on relatively small gashes. One of the concerns is not to glue dirt inside the wound. I am afraid that for really dangerous wounds, that touch an artery or vein, the best thing is compression and tourniquet.

Another thing that works on small wounds (I used it once) is an egg membrane: get it wet and spread it over the wound. As it dries, it will pull the skin together. Same warning as with the glue: the wound has to be cleaned first.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 400 ABS, Pearl Storm Gray
653 Posts
Ok, my super secret addition to normal med kit is superglue.
And if you go this route, the nail polish remover sealed pads are small and convenient to carry (just like alcohol sealed pads) and can be used if you do accidentally glue the wrong thing... Assuming you can tear them open with your remaining hand! :)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Speaking of glue and alcohol, these are actually good items to carry because they have multiple uses: glue can be used for some repairs, mending wounds but also to start a fire. Same with alcohol pads: disinfect (prior to glueing ;)), start a fire, clean something. Or drink them, if no Wild Turkey is at hand.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts