Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I changed Vert's oil and cleaned/lubed her chain today. Couldn't be out since we are quarantining...and this cleaning was long overdue:

1.) Rear Paddock stand:

2.) Removed the lower left fairing (3 bolt/screw thingies) that expose the oil filter:

3.) Removed bottom plug:

4.) Used the PT (Performance Tool) filter wrench to loosen it:

5.) Video of how easy the oil filter was to remove after using PT (Performance Tool Oil filter wrench):

6.) Stock Replacement filter #:

7.) Installing the new filter (oiled the gasket/o-ring; hand screwed the filter on and tightened it ; used the PT wrench tool to tighten it):

8.) Put the lower plug back on:

9.) Re-installed the lower fairing (*note: the front 2 bolts use the same torx bit to loosen/tighten. However, the last bolt, nearest the oil filter uses a slightly larger torx bit. I had to use 2 separate sizes to remove/reinstall this lower left fairing):

10.) Added oil to the reservoir. Cranked the bike and let it idle for 5minutes. Turned it off and let it sit (allowing the oil to fully saturate the oil filter and the engine. I had to add more oil and this is the final result:

(let me know if yall think that I've added too much oil. IN this picture the bike is off and has sat for about 10 minutes)

-----------------
Cleaned & Lubed:
Prep:

Cleaned:

Video of the chain after using PJ1 Lube:

·
Registered
28 Posts
nice write up...glad you have the bike all ready to go when we're out of 'quarantine'! Can you tell us a little more about your garage or shed? Looks like cool wall covering and painted or epoxy(?) floor? I'm a garage guy...love to see pics of other's garages!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
10.) Added oil to the reservoir. Cranked the bike and let it idle for 5minutes. Turned it off and let it sit (allowing the oil to fully saturate the oil filter and the engine. I had to add more oil and this is the final result:

(let me know if yall think that I've added too much oil. IN this picture the bike is off and has sat for about 10 minutes)

-----------------
This looks like a good level, definitely not too much, I would actually add a bit more to be honest, but that would be the least I would run in it.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
nice write up...glad you have the bike all ready to go when we're out of 'quarantine'! Can you tell us a little more about your garage or shed? Looks like cool wall covering and painted or epoxy(?) floor? I'm a garage guy...love to see pics of other's garages!
I know she can respond, but its a storage unit. She keeps her bike in a storage unit near where she lives.

So whoever the storage company is probably seals the floors and all that to preserve them from your typical tenants....or tenants stuff.
So the walls would be that metal building, newer corrugated steel

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi! Thanks :) As @b0Xcrash mentioned, I keep my bike in an outside-accessible, enclosed storage unit (10ft x 10ft) at a SelfStorage facility. This is also where I work on my bike. The picture below shows the unit when it's clean lol. Now, I have a lot of my tools, gas tanks, paddock stands, and all of my stock parts there.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Sealed and painted floors rock. So much easier to wipe up your calamities and find those little nuts and washers that invariably get dropped.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Something else I like to do, and not saying everyone has to this just me and my OCD, is with the drain plug out run about 1/4 quart into the oil filler, or enough until you start to see the oil running back out clean. This flushes any dirty oil collecting in low spots or between filling the bike and the plug. Of course you need enough extra oil to compensate for this waste, and still be able to top off your fill.
I then wait for it to go back to a slow drip before putting the plug back in.

I started doing this years ago, and @yarddog can probably appreciate this, due to the Briggs motors running so dirty in the mowers....and watching black oil still come out of them when I did this for a bit.
I never did this with my older Kohler's because those I could run for 3 seasons and when I drained the oil it barely looked used, still.

The Briggs, for whatever reason, always looks like its been in the thing for 40 years after a single season of mowing.........

·
Registered
720 Posts
i use synthetic oil in my air cooled mower engines. they run pretty hot and synthetic holds up better with the heat. i actually dont run any new oil through to flush the old out. if its black when i change it, it gets changed sooner from then on.

·
Super Moderator
1,145 Posts
Something else I like to do, and not saying everyone has to this just me and my OCD, is with the drain plug out run about 1/4 quart into the oil filler, or enough until you start to see the oil running back out clean. This flushes any dirty oil collecting in low spots or between filling the bike and the plug. Of course you need enough extra oil to compensate for this waste, and still be able to top off your fill.
I then wait for it to go back to a slow drip before putting the plug back in.

I started doing this years ago, and @yarddog can probably appreciate this, due to the Briggs motors running so dirty in the mowers....and watching black oil still come out of them when I did this for a bit.
I never did this with my older Kohler's because those I could run for 3 seasons and when I drained the oil it barely looked used, still.

The Briggs, for whatever reason, always looks like its been in the thing for 40 years after a single season of mowing.........

I love it!!!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
i use synthetic oil in my air cooled mower engines. they run pretty hot and synthetic holds up better with the heat. i actually dont run any new oil through to flush the old out. if its black when i change it, it gets changed sooner from then on.
Right, but the Briggs motors oil seems to get dark after only mowing 2 or 3 times, there is no way I am changing it 20 times a summer, lol

I also understand as from dealing with air cooled boxer/flat motors and air cooled motorcycles back in the days, I changed VW/Porsche oil every 1,000 miles....

I also know I should have changed the Kohler's oil more frequent, I was stupid with it.......but when I got the mower from my parents, who gave it to me when they moved, it was an extra one that was already 10-15 years old.......I abused it and did not think it would last, the thing is 25+ years old and still going strong(little weaker than day one on power, but it still goes without smoking)
I took better care of the Briggs powered ones and went through several of those.
Lesson learned, take care of everything regardless if you think its disposable or not.......you might be surprised.

Maybe I should just switch to full synth in the mowers....but the Kohler never exhibited this behavior....only seems to be the trash Briggs motors(I wish they were just as great as Kohler's with Briggs being American made as well)

Anyway I think I hi-jacked this thread enough....

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I then wait for it to go back to a slow drip before putting the plug back in....
I did this as well :) My attempt at "flushing" any impurities out of there lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts