Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been checking Ohlins on a daily basis, they finally released the part number for front and rear. Seems the front is shared from the 650 as it takes the FKS224 (NIX22) cartridges. For the rear they have the entry level KA744 (STX36). The KA744 is a new part number from Ohlins so my hopes that my shock from my 300 would fit are looking dim. I am taking my 400 to the shop today so I will know soon. Since they share the same forks we are going to try a rear set from the 650 also. Looking at the pictures they look close to same mounting. As always as soon as I found out ill let yall know and post up pictures

Here is the link for Ohlins
https://www.ohlins.com/products/database/#?model_years=6119&page=1&brands=4779&models=6701

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have been checking Ohlins on a daily basis, they finally released the part number for front and rear. Seems the front is shared from the 650 as it takes the FKS224 (NIX22) cartridges. For the rear they have the entry level KA744 (STX36). The KA744 is a new part number from Ohlins so my hopes that my shock from my 300 would fit are looking dim. I am taking my 400 to the shop today so I will know soon. Since they share the same forks we are going to try a rear set from the 650 also. Looking at the pictures they look close to same mounting. As always as soon as I found out ill let yall know and post up pictures

Here is the link for Ohlins
https://www.ohlins.com/products/database/#?model_years=6119&page=1&brands=4779&models=6701
It wouldn’t surprise me if it shared more stuff from the bigger bikes, the tail light for example is from the 2016+ ZX10R and the newer z1000.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Good info. I'm hoping that the standard suspension is adequate for road duties and that I dont need to give Ohlins my money! If I intended to race one though it would a be a different story.
Whats your plan?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good info. I'm hoping that the standard suspension is adequate for road duties and that I dont need to give Ohlins my money! If I intended to race one though it would a be a different story.
Whats your plan?
I will be racing mine so the Ohlins is a no brainer for me, the stock suspension will do good for your daily commute and the weekend canyon carving. Of course that depends on your size, weight.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I will be racing mine so the Ohlins is a no brainer for me, the stock suspension will do good for your daily commute and the weekend canyon carving. Of course that depends on your size, weight.
where do you work because OHLINS are never cheap :/ Ill maybe buy a set as well but not until i get a real feel for the bike on the track

·
Registered
377 Posts
Whats your plan?
No problems here on the standard suspension for road use. Ive been on some pretty bad roads too.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had very good results with just changing out the front springs to stiffen it up. Made a huge difference.
I have tried that on my other race bike, major difference when you go to cartridges.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey SDM, I presume the Ohlins install is pretty straightforward with the bike on pegs two bolts in and out? Guess I have to mount the resevoir as well. . .

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had my eye on Ohlin's even before buying the bike, but stock seems good to me... good firm. Doesn't "wallow" or "bounce" in high speed rollers and doesn't feel like it's gonna skip over sharp bumps. I've done Ohlins upgrades twice before and felt a big improvement, but I'm not racing and don't feel like spending more money. If I keep the bike I'll do it eventually.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
I had my eye on Ohlin's even before buying the bike, but stock seems good to me... good firm. Doesn't "wallow" or "bounce" in high speed rollers and doesn't feel like it's gonna skip over sharp bumps. I've done Ohlins upgrades twice before and felt a big improvement, but I'm not racing and don't feel like spending more money. If I keep the bike I'll do it eventually.
Possibly it's my light weight but I definitely found the rear end was too firmly sprung and skippy over sharp bumps.
The beauty of going to an aftermarket shock if is that you can change the spring to suit your weight/riding style.
But I agree the front feels good enough out of the box for street riding.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Paid Greg a visit today over at Spears Racing...!

Got my rear shock installed. Super easy install, literally like 10 minutes! What length are you guys running them at? It was set at 325mm out of the box (+5 from stock) so that’s where I left it.

My fork cartridges will be here next week. He was all sold out...

·
Registered
5,505 Posts

Got my rear shock installed. Super easy install, literally like 10 minutes! What length are you guys running them at? It was set at 325mm out of the box (+5 from stock) so that’s where I left it.

My fork cartridges will be here next week. He was all sold out...
Very sexy, which model is it? Does it have both comp and rebound damping adjustment and how is the preload adjusted?

My K-tech came set at 325mm out of the box too. Have left it at that for now but if I was racing it I would probably experiment with lengthening it a bit to improve turn in response.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Very sexy, which model is it? Does it have both comp and rebound damping adjustment and how is the preload adjusted?

My K-tech came set at 325mm out of the box too. Have left it at that for now but if I was racing it I would probably experiment with lengthening it a bit to improve turn in response.
It’s the YA744 STX36 model. It’s fully adjustable compression and rebound damping. The preload is adjusted by the locking collars and the 2 adjustment wrenches are included.

·
Super Moderator
1,227 Posts

What an epic thing..."I just paid Greg a visit".... I love Spears Racing Products. It must be great to live that close!!. I'm ordering new gears and a chain this weekend but will have to do it all by mail:sad:

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
It’s the YA744 STX36 model. It’s fully adjustable compression and rebound damping. The preload is adjusted by the locking collars and the 2 adjustment wrenches are included.
I see the adjustment rings in the photo now. I just asked cos the Ohlins I have in my SV has a remote preload adjuster and it's the best thing since sliced bread. Makes adjusting so quick and easy plus no tools required. I'm not sure what model it is though.

Will be interested to hear your thoughts on it after a ride.
One more question: What is the spring rate you have?

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I see the adjustment rings in the photo now. I just asked cos the Ohlins I have in my SV has a remote preload adjuster and it's the best thing since sliced bread. Makes adjusting so quick and easy plus no tools required. I'm not sure what model it is though.

Will be interested to hear your thoughts on it after a ride.
One more question: What is the spring rate you have?
I’m about 200 lbs or 90 Kg so the spring is a 1.05, which is actually the spring that comes standard on this shock. The other thing I found odd is the recommended spring rates for their fork cartridges was a .70, but we decided to go against Ohlins recommendations and get the .80’s to try out first.

F613D7EA-3715-4B41-802E-910A90B05542.png

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
I’m about 200 lbs or 90 Kg so the spring is a 1.05, which is actually the spring that comes standard on this shock. The other thing I found odd is the recommended spring rates for their fork cartridges was a .70, but we decided to go against Ohlins recommendations and get the .80’s to try out first.

View attachment 7623
Yep, I think .70 would be too light for a 90kg rider. I run .90's in my race bike and I'm 60kg.
Is this just for road riding and the odd track day or for a race set up?

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Yep, I think .70 would be too light for a 90kg rider. I run .90's in my race bike and I'm 60kg.
Is this just for road riding and the odd track day or for a race set up?
Mostly just road with the occasional trackday. I’m actually taking out .90 K-Tech springs...

I’m tired of the pogo effect with the stock rear shock and I’ve felt the front end skip and skitter over bumps and lose contact with the road causing the bars to wiggle and it wasn’t very confidence inspiring. I want adjustability and actual damping...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts