Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had any luck with o2 sensor eliminator plugs? I ordered one for a 400r because i couldn’t find one for the 400. I recently installed the auto tune kit from dynojet and in order for no light to pop up i need something to eliminate that original sensor connector. help me please

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thought I'd post an update here. Yes, it's an old thread. But Power Commander no longer sells the O2 Optimizer. A quick google search shows that they were sued by the EPA and stopped selling them shortly afterwards.

Two takeaways from this.
#1 they think you need one
#2 why wasn't Bazzaz or any other american manufacturers held to the same standard? All the piggyback modules come with some form of disabling the stock O2.

I found one that works well and is well made. Price is pretty good too buying with US$.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 400, 1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk
69 Posts
Yes, I wrote an entire mutli-page posting on Brad's O2 Elimiantor on this forum, on how to use it for mild AFR enrichment. It works.

Jim G
Yup I read the whole thing yesterday and enjoyed the conversation of it all. 👍
After reading further into the topic on other forums it's a legit way to cool the bike down and have a smoother transitioning throttle response which is the only irritation I have with the bike after coming off of my VTR1000 carbureted smooth throttle response.
Easily modulated in carbed bikes.
I'll be eventually going catless soon enough whether I gut the existing unit or header.
I may wind up needing the plugs myself. 🤔😉

·
Registered
494 Posts
Yup I read the whole thing yesterday and enjoyed the conversation of it all. 👍
After reading further into the topic on other forums it's a legit way to cool the bike down and have a smoother transitioning throttle response which is the only irritation I have with the bike after coming off of my VTR1000 carbureted smooth throttle response.
Easily modulated in carbed bikes.
I'll be eventually going catless soon enough whether I gut the existing unit or header.
I may wind up needing the plugs myself. 🤔😉
It is not a legit way to cool the bike down, and actually the opposite will be true. Only a proper ECU flash will keep the engine operating at a proper AFR and lower engine temps. From the factory these engines run lean to pass emissions but will also have rich spots. So adding a full exhaust with further lean out the lean spots and the result will be a hotter combustion in the cylinders at certain RPMs. Ask any professional motorcycle racer or engine builder and they will tell you the same thing.

This 02 plug that is supposed to add 2-3% is not documented anywhere to actually add any more fuel and there is no testing that shows engine temperature is affected. The description of the product doesn't claim any extra fuel. Also, even if true it is not going to make any difference in engine temps.

I would advise you seek the advice of an expert before you damage your engine. Personally I don't care what other do to their machines but promoting 02 eliminator plugs as a legitimate solution to lower engine temps with a full system is irresponsible IMO.

·
Registered
521 Posts
It is not a legit way to cool the bike down, and actually the opposite will be true. Only a proper ECU flash will keep the engine operating at a proper AFR and lower engine temps. From the factory these engines run lean to pass emissions but will also have rich spots. So adding a full exhaust with further lean out the lean spots and the result will be a hotter combustion in the cylinders at certain RPMs. Ask any professional motorcycle racer or engine builder and they will tell you the same thing.

This 02 plug that is supposed to add 2-3% is not documented anywhere to actually add any more fuel and there is no testing that shows engine temperature is affected. The description of the product doesn't claim any extra fuel. Also, even if true it is not going to make any difference in engine temps.

I would advise you seek the advice of an expert before you damage your engine. Personally I don't care what other do to their machines but promoting 02 eliminator plugs as a legitimate solution to lower engine temps with a full system is irresponsible IMO.

The big obvious flaw in your posting is that you talk about using an O2 Eliminator WITH A FULL EXHAUST SYSTEM. No one has recommended that to the guy asking. A decent full exhaust adds 5 % or even 10% power, so, no an O2 Eliminator is NOT the right solution for a full exhaust.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 400, 1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk
69 Posts

Thank you for that insight and appreciate your concern.
I am well versed on tuning in the car world and understand exactly what you're saying. 👍

Ive done a ton of reading on this as well for bikes and it has its merits under the right circumstances with how the bike is being used and what mods are applicable for this type of modding.

I'll most likely go the route of the flash or the full race ecu presumed by Norton but capable of further tuning depending on what will be next on the list of upgrades. That's all down the road though.

The big obvious flaw in your posting is that you talk about using an O2 Eliminator WITH A FULL EXHAUST SYSTEM. No one has recommended that to the guy asking. A decent full exhaust adds 5 % or even 10% power, so, no an O2 Eliminator is NOT the right solution for a full exhaust.

Jim G
I always appreciate your posts and discussions on these forums. 🙏🏽🤙
Thanks all for the input. 😁

·
Registered
494 Posts
Thank you for that insight and appreciate your concern.
I am well versed on tuning in the car world and understand exactly what you're saying. 👍

Ive done a ton of reading on this as well for bikes and it has its merits under the right circumstances with how the bike is being used and what mods are applicable for this type of modding.

I'll most likely go the route of the flash or the full race ecu presumed by Norton but capable of further tuning depending on what will be next on the list of upgrades. That's all down the road though.

I always appreciate your posts and discussions on these forums. 🙏🏽🤙
Thanks all for the input. 😁
When getting the ECU flashed make sure to request the decel fuel cut be disabled, this will smooth out the throttle response.

From the factory the decel fuel cut is enabled so when you close the throttle the injectors are cut off, and turn back on when throttle is opened. This causes the jerky throttle response.

Also, an ECU flash can disable the 02 so no need to have an 02 eliminator plug.

Anything from Norton is best in class. I had the Norton full clutch kit and it was excellent. My 400 was ECU flashed by Superbike Unlimited and it made a huge difference in power delivery and temperature with only a K&N filter and Graves slip-on exhaust.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts