Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has less than 4 month. I see dates on parts as far as November '19. So its new... I got it 3 months ago. How comes there is rust there? They did not paint the piece well. Aaaaaah not so happy that I saw this right now.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Is that the only spot you've noticed rust on or are there any others? It's not really normal but also not too surprising since you live in one of the most humid places in the US and there's a fairly high content of salt in the air too depending on how far from the ocean you are. Lot of things corrode much faster there. I've noticed similar things on my old aluminum trailer and R3 when I moved from Nebraska to Virginia Beach. Never had any corrosion issues for years, but within 3 months of living here close to the ocean I had all sorts of stuff corrode, and almost every steel bolt on my R3 was rusted.

Also up until now I was pretty **** sure the lower triple clamp is made of aluminum, so not sure why there's rust there...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that the only spot you've noticed rust on or are there any others? It's not really normal but also not too surprising since you live in one of the most humid places in the US and there's a fairly high content of salt in the air too depending on how far from the ocean you are. Lot of things corrode much faster there. I've noticed similar things on my old aluminum trailer and R3 when I moved from Nebraska to Virginia Beach. Never had any corrosion issues for years, but within 3 months of living here close to the ocean I had all sorts of stuff corrode, and almost every steel bolt on my R3 was rusted.

Also up until now I was pretty **** sure the lower triple clamp is made of aluminum, so not sure where there's rust there...
Im going to keep an eye on the forks.... see is any rust drip residue ... should not rust. I'm calling kawi on monday lol.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The lower casting is very rough .. probably why the rust paint sealler didnt penetrate well. Plus, the part where contacts with the shock, that is probably not painted hence pront to rust?

·
Registered
78 Posts
And any place where you have dissimilar metals touching in a wet environment, you'll get galvanic corrosion on the anode (steel/iron vs. chromium?).

It looks like just surface corrosion to me -- if you disassemble, I expect you'll see it on the unpainted/machined interior as well (anywhere that can get wet)...

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
The lower casting is very rough .. probably why the rust paint sealler didnt penetrate well. Plus, the part where contacts with the shock, that is probably not painted hence pront to rust?
The surface of the bottom yoke is rough because it's a steel casting out of a mould.. Generally manufacturers dont spend time dressing this part on a bike that's built to a lower price point. However, the surface that is in contact with your fork stanchion is machined to the fork diameter of 41mm so it will be smooth. It's the iron content in the the steel that forms rust when it's in contact with water or moisture in the air. Stainless steel (the shiny stuff) does not have iron in it so doesn't rust and that is also why a magnet wont stick to it.

If you live in a humid climate then you will get more rust, kinda unavoidable. Either that or there was moisture present on the forks or triple clamps when they were assembled.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bike gas about 3 months out from showroom. Was assemble last November per stated parts. To early for rust to show in my honest opinion

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I came across more rusted parts. This time when I opened the gas cap to refuel I see rust pm the actslusl outside tank screw areas... no good.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Spay the whole bike down with a good sealant and stop riding around the keys 😆. Just kidding, well, not about the sealant. I’ll be keeping an eye on these areas on my bike as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Spay the whole bike down with a good sealant and stop riding around the keys 😆. Just kidding, well, not about the sealant. I’ll be keeping an eye on these areas on my bike as well.
Hahahahaha I do go by the beach every week, relax for 30mins and keep going. But I am in shock that this is what is happening. I need t rinse the bike when I get back from A1A or US1 ... na? This rust should not be this accelerated ...

·
Registered
123 Posts
FWIW I spray the vulnerable parts of the wee Ninja with Scottoiler FS365 after a wet ride. Reasonably cheap if you can get it. Washes off easlily, and seems to keep any surface rust at bay.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FWIW I spray the vulnerable parts of the wee Ninja with Scottoiler FS365 after a wet ride. Reasonably cheap if you can get it. Washes off easlily, and seems to keep any surface rust at bay.
Ou wow I just read about the product function. Yes that is what I need to keep the bike rust free. Thanks for your recommendation.

Yet I still need to call kawee lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Do you see what see... More rust forming on the tank/locking support.

After 1.3hrs on the phone waiting to speak with Kawee, I made a report about such and the dealer will examine further.

No, it's not normal.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Do you see what see... More rust forming on the tank/locking support.

After 1.3hrs on the phone waiting to speak with Kawee, I made a report about such and the dealer will examine further.

No, it's not normal.
I also saw some rust on mine there. Also on a welding on the frame, near my framslider.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
But my bike is over a year old and I did not buy the extended warranty. Oh, well.
Perhaps call them, tell them you noticed a while back and it's too much.. see if they give u a case number?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I can always try. In fact, the welding rust I noticed last year. Did you call Kawasaki directly?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts