Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preface: I’m a complete noob but...
If buying a bike is anything like buying a car then you definitely don’t want a new one. I’ve been told this is true for bikes too. But I see all these used 2018+ ninja 400’s for sale going for $4,300-$5,000 all the time. I think to myself, “Well, I might has well a get a brand new one just the way I want it and just pay the few hundred dollars more”.
Any input guys? Should I just get a new one and can I expect to sell it with a few thousand miles next year for around 4.5k like I’ve been seeing?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Depend on where you live. Don't forget, with a dealer you will also be paying destination and a setup fee.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Whenever you feel like selling yours you can just import them to Israel, they sale for 12,000$ new and you'll be able to sell your used one at the price you bought it and a little extra ;)

·
Registered
984 Posts
A lot of these used bikes have 1k$ plus in added goodies that you wouldn't be getting with a new bike plus you won't be paying all the dealer rubbery fees.
But part of the fun is adding the accessories that YOU want.
🐉

·
Registered
104 Posts
i would be worried about how the previous owner treated the bike. way more conservative crowd selling a car. do you want to get the bike the previous owner was ''practicing burnouts'' with?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
How long would you likely be keeping the bike? If you are quick to trade, used makes a lot more financial sense. If you like to keep a bike for a decade, the price difference between new and used amortizes out to very little.

Reactions: Cornerman

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think the cheaper the bike (or vehicle) the smaller the price difference between new and slightly used.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Preface: I’m a complete noob but...
If buying a bike is anything like buying a car then you definitely don’t want a new one. I’ve been told this is true for bikes too. But I see all these used 2018+ ninja 400’s for sale going for $4,300-$5,000 all the time. I think to myself, “Well, I might has well a get a brand new one just the way I want it and just pay the few hundred dollars more”.
Any input guys? Should I just get a new one and can I expect to sell it with a few thousand miles next year for around 4.5k like I’ve been seeing?
As said here, the dealer fees will likely put the price near $6,000. When I can afford it , my preference is to buy new. That way the mods, scratches and miles are all mine. I've purchased. about 20 motorcycles in the last 40 years. About 50% new the rest used.

Sometimes used bikes can have hidden surprises both good and bad. A knowledgeable motorcycle purchaser will look at many , for sale, bikes before purchasing. The savvy used bike buyer, initially, appears to save money until hours of research and haggling time are accounted for. I enjoy the research and haggling and I have the time , so it's a hobby.

If you have the time and love the research (as I do) then go for it.
Often the cost of deferred service (expendables like tires, brake fluid flush, oil change, chain and sprockets etc.) needed on a used bike will make the price equal to new. Dealers often advertise used bikes as freshly serviced. Bikes advertised as " service up to date" by a dealer are seldom true...usually what I find is that they have had an oil change and been given the bike a wash.

New bikes are like a blank palette. Buying new you get to decide color, accessories , ABS or non ABS , the model year and delivery time frame and of course standard warranty or extended warranty. Break in is also done at your preference.

So yes it is worth it to buy new if you are not knowledgeable about motorcycle maintenance and possible other issues.
Likewise, if you have the time and patience to learn and research then used will save you money, but the days and hours spent researching will go unaccounted for.

·
Registered
160 Posts
:cool: First thing , NEVER pay destination fee unless you are ordering from factory. Same for cars, My new 2020 ninja 400 in krt trim was $5000.00 out the door with taller seat and 2 oil filters and a T shirt I would buy new for the warranty , and unless you know the service record of when the first 2 oil changes were done, you don't know how it was treated and run in...Oil is the blood of the engine...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How long would you likely be keeping the bike? If you are quick to trade, used makes a lot more financial sense. If you like to keep a bike for a decade, the price difference between new and used amortizes out to very little.
I hear the out growing a bike is tree, and the 400 is a beginner bike. So if this is true I’ll be keeping the bike until it craps out most likely. But if I find myself wanting more power then who knows?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:cool: First thing , NEVER pay destination fee unless you are ordering from factory. Same for cars, My new 2020 ninja 400 in krt trim was $5000.00 out the door with taller seat and 2 oil filters and a T shirt I would buy new for the warranty , and unless you know the service record of when the first 2 oil changes were done, you don't know how it was treated and run in...Oil is the blood of the engine...
So you got a new 400 without abs for 5k out the door? I am looking to get a candy red color with abs for around 5.5 out the door. Is this reasonable you think?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don’t believe those dealer ads stating $4999. You‘ll be paying $6k out the door...
I can’t imagine a 5k bike would come out to 6k. Tax is just 7% in my area and I don’t think fees could be any more than a few hundred dollars. Not to mention haggling. Or is it really this small of a window when it comes to bikes?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Dealers have all kinds of ways to add profit.......destination fees, set-up fees, and documentation fees are the most common and can easily add up to $1,000.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dealers have all kinds of ways to add profit.......destination fees, set-up fees, and documentation fees are the most common and can easily add up to $1,000.
A lot of these fees are bogus I thought. I just bought a car and they had just a few fees and I made sure they all made sense. I’m not paying a set-up fee lol. I’m assuming scummy dealers do this though.

·
Registered
907 Posts
A lot of these fees are bogus I thought. I just bought a car and they had just a few fees and I made sure they all made sense. I’m not paying a set-up fee lol. I’m assuming scummy dealers do this though.
I can't argue with you, these extra fees are mickey mouse. But anybody looking for a motorcycle bargain in this market is certainly looking out of my area. Empty showrooms, dealers selling models that normally sit well over that model year, a few 2021 models trickling in... but the 2020s still not marked down. There's not much incentive to discount a bike when you can't replace it in a timely manner. And you're selling at full price. No doubt this market will settle down, but right now it's creative accounting to make a customer feel like they get a good deal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can't argue with you, these extra fees are mickey mouse. But anybody looking for a motorcycle bargain in this market is certainly looking out of my area. Empty showrooms, dealers selling models that normally sit well over that model year, a few 2021 models trickling in... but the 2020s still not marked down. There's not much incentive to discount a bike when you can't replace it in a timely manner. And you're selling at full price. No doubt this market will settle down, but right now it's creative accounting to make a customer feel like they get a good deal.
Yea that does make good sense. Ashame really... I might have to opt to some used bike on market place or something if the price is right. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Yea that does make good sense. Ashame really... I might have to opt to some used bike on market place or something if the price is right. Thanks!
Outta curiosity, whereabouts are ya located?...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Whenever you feel like selling yours you can just import them to Israel, they sale for 12,000$ new and you'll be able to sell your used one at the price you bought it and a little extra ;)
Holy ****, I bought mine for 4700 euros with only 6000 km on it. How come they're so expensive in Israel?

·
Registered
907 Posts
For sure, I've no plans to seriously look for or purchase until the market cools down. Maybe some of these 'new riders' will tire and sell soon... and flood the market with cheap, barely ridden pre owned bikes. We can always hope.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts