Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've tried a beautiful 2018 ninja 400 on Saturday and I fell in love with it, but I didn't think of checking if it has ABS, and the garage having it isn't open at the moment.
Can you guys help me identify if it has ABS or not ? I am really new in this world and I do not want to make any kind of mistake because I assume I know it all where I obviously know nothing at all !

Here's a couple of pictures I took while drooling all over it:

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive lighting Motorcycle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Crankset Motorcycle Vehicle

Thanks a lot for the help !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has the ABS sensor on the front wheel, so it does have ABS.
Oh God thank you so much, I'm so happy ! Even though I still don't understand why they've removed the "ABS" sticker on the front wheel, or even didn't write it on the ad.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 400, 1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk
222 Posts
Oh God thank you so much, I'm so happy ! Even though I still don't understand why they've removed the "ABS" sticker on the front wheel, or even didn't write it on the ad.
It shouldn't matter as you're getting a great bike.
Nice bike and good luck in getting it.
Having abs can be a good thing so you can't go wrong having it. 🤙

·
Registered
418 Posts
On your back wheel, the slotted disc with the wire looping down is also abs and your speedometer. I broke that wire once, lost a bunch of functions.

·
Registered
418 Posts
You are talking about this wire, right ?

View attachment 21525

Isn't it a bit risky to have it that loose ?

View attachment 21525

yes, its a poor design but have seen it on other bikes. The hole above the wire is for rear stand spools. Once the spools are in place you can zip tie the wire to it. A rear stand is important for lubing the chain, I like to spin the wheel to keep it clean. I noticed your rear disc is wearing irregular. Probably no problem but check the pads, the previous owner used a lot of rear brakes! I use mostly only the front brake but I'm very light on brakes anyway. Have fun, you will love this 400!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes, its a poor design but have seen it on other bikes. The hole above the wire is for rear stand spools. Once the spools are in place you can zip tie the wire to it. A rear stand is important for lubing the chain, I like to spin the wheel to keep it clean. I noticed your rear disc is wearing irregular. Probably no problem but check the pads, the previous owner used a lot of rear brakes! I use mostly only the front brake but I'm very light on brakes anyway. Have fun, you will love this 400!
I'll get it checked, since I don't really know a lot about motorbikes ! Thank you very much, it helps a lot !
I already love it 🤟

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 400, 1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk
222 Posts
I'll get it checked, since I don't really know a lot about motorbikes ! Thank you very much, it helps a lot !
I already love it 🤟
When I first got my 400 I found this forums.
I started reading these forums as my thirst for knowledge on these bikes was immense.
Months later I've read every last post here and still starving for info but I've found all the answers to most of my questions.

There's a ton of info here. Enjoy the read and the bike. 🤟👍

·
Registered
418 Posts
Here's a photo of my rear wheel (right side). The Z400 is on the rear stand hooked onto the spools. After breaking the abs/speedo wire with a generic stand, it made sense to switch to the spool system. Note the rear brake disc, this bike has 7000 miles on it.
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Vehicle Motorcycle

View attachment 21525

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 400 ABS, Pearl Storm Gray
421 Posts
Yup, you want to check for the presence of the front wheel sensor I believe (which I do see in your picture :)), and the yellow ABS light on the dash (which should light when you start the bike and stay lit until you reach 6 mph or so?).

I don't believe KRT edition was actually available from the factory without ABS, at least in USA, but I could be wrong about that.

Watch Font Rim Groupset Automotive wheel system

·
Director of Moderation
3,021 Posts
On your back wheel, the slotted disc with the wire looping down is also abs and your speedometer. I broke that wire once, lost a bunch of functions.
Non-ABS bikes have that too on the rear wheel because that's where it gets the speed from.

OP...there are a few plausible scenarios:
1) There's no ABS sticker because those are not the original fairings from the bike. Maybe it is an ABS model but the previous owner replaced the fairings and he got some from a non-ABS bike.
2) Maybe it WAS an ABS model but the previous owner disabled the ABS and then took the stickers off. This isn't as likely because Kawasaki clear coats over those stickers so it would be a pain in the ass to remove those stickers and you would be able to see tracers of where the sticker was, because the clear coat would be missing in the shape of the stickers. However, it is not that uncommon for people to want to disable the ABS. It is very easy to check. As you're right brake aggressively especially with the rear wheel. Just stomp on the rear brake pedal really hard. If the rear wheel locks up, then there's no ABS. If it doesn't and you feel the ABS kicking in...then obviously it does. Ultimately that's the best way to check because then you ensure that the system works.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts