Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem as well. Every time I try to start my bike for the 1st ride of the day it wont start when I push the starter. Then when I push it again it fires up. Is that normal for this bike? It's brand new, I'm the 1st owner and it's done this ever since I bought it. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I'm holding it for longer than half a second... And no, it seems like it is almost ready to turn over but I'm afraid to hold it down for longer than about 2-3 sec. Then I let go, give it a sec or 2 then try again and then it fires up.

·
Registered
656 Posts
No I'm holding it for longer than half a second... And no, it seems like it is almost ready to turn over but I'm afraid to hold it down for longer than about 2-3 sec. Then I let go, give it a sec or 2 then try again and then it fires up.
I bet Its because the fuel pump hasn't kicked on... Same thing happens to my bike - I'm working on a solve for it...

Next time when you go to start your bike listen to see if you hear a pump priming the fuel system immediately when turning the key to on.... if not just hit start button for a second then release to bleed the vapor pressure buildup and you should hear it starting to prime the fuel system, wait till the pump stops - then it will start right up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right on Mr Mike. Thank you! I'll try that, Im glad (but not glad) to see that it happens to someone else too.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yes, what Mike said. Let the fuel pump do its thing (you can hear it, about one second long), and then hit the starter. Works every time for me.

Reactions: TaiMc

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mines done that couple times since i got it but i noticed it did it twice in the last two days. Ill definitely start keeping an ear out for that pump.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Bringing this back to life. My bike does the same thing at ~400 miles. Turn the key, flip the kill switch, let it prime, press the starter so it turns over a couple times, doesn't start. Wait 5 seconds, press starter again, fires up. My ZX6 starts first press every time, so this one is odd to me.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Bringing this back to life. My bike does the same thing at ~400 miles. Turn the key, flip the kill switch, let it prime, press the starter so it turns over a couple times, doesn't start. Wait 5 seconds, press starter again, fires up. My ZX6 starts first press every time, so this one is odd to me.
Not to worry man, my bikes got 3k miles and does it still..

this is a cold first start of the day thing... Should not happen while out riding stop to stop. Or even after sitting For an hour.

If not your loosing fuel pressure somwhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I agree with Mr. Mike. Mine still does this but only on the 1st start. When I'm out and about it fires right up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone, I would like to expand on this topic as my problem is similar to things that have been discussed on here. Recently my '68 Ninja 400 has not been priming when i turn on the ignition, resulting in it not firing, it cranks fine but has no fuel to fire, a few cycles of the key prompts it into priming and it's then fine, but a couple of times it has taken 10 cycles or so and I'm worried it will get worse, does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hi everyone, I would like to expand on this topic as my problem is similar to things that have been discussed on here. Recently my '68 Ninja 400 has not been priming when i turn on the ignition, resulting in it not firing, it cranks fine but has no fuel to fire, a few cycles of the key prompts it into priming and it's then fine, but a couple of times it has taken 10 cycles or so and I'm worried it will get worse, does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong. Thanks in advance
Could be a fuel pump issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks, I forgot to mention that when I turn the ignition on it does click and it sounds to me like a relay or solenoid, even on the times when it doesn't prime

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Eliminate the battery first if its clicking then go from there. So often issues are battery related even though your multi meter or whatever may be tell you otherwise. If not the battery itself then loose or dirty/corroded connections to the battery. I see it at work all the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks but I'm sure the battery is fine, it cranks well, as good as the when it was new, when I said it clicks I didn't mean a starter motor not having enough power kind of click but a relay for the fuel pump or maybe ABS

·
Registered
13 Posts
It depends on the weather climate. If it’s cold I suggest you put a battery tender on each night to keep sure it never goes bad during the cold weather. If it summer and warm and starts to suffer like that I would check the voltage see if the battery is charging. May need a new battery if it’s bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks but like I say the battery is fine, I believe it is some kind of software glitch or a relay messing about? It's not the case of not having enough power to prime the pump, more of a case of it is not being told to prime

·
Super Moderator
1,311 Posts
Have you had the tank off recently? The fuel hose connector might not be seated fully, I did that once. If the fuel pump is never pumping, check the fuel pump relay in the relay box, it might just be loose?? I am not sure what fuse powers those relays but it might be worth a look. You can always take a meter to the fuel pump at key on to see if it is getting power, just to make sure the pump is working. After that, if it is like you said and ECU problem, I would take it to a dealer to check out. Last and probably not it, the fuel pump will not pump if you are extremely low on fuel (at least according to the manual).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you had the tank off recently? The fuel hose connector might not be seated fully, I did that once. If the fuel pump is never pumping, check the fuel pump relay in the relay box, it might just be loose?? I am not sure what fuse powers those relays but it might be worth a look. You can always take a meter to the fuel pump at key on to see if it is getting power, just to make sure the pump is working. After that, if it is like you said and ECU problem, I would take it to a dealer to check out. Last and probably not it, the fuel pump will not pump if you are extremely low on fuel (at least according to the manual).
Thank you for a good reply, I will find the fuel pump relay and make sure the connections are good. It has plenty of fuel as I've been through several tanks while I've had this problem and it will do it with any amount of fuel in the tank. I have had the tank off a couple of times in the past but the connection is good and it's been on and undisturbed for quite some time, I'm still convinced it's either an ECU problem or a relay is sticky. Thanks for all the good replies

1 - 20 of 21 Posts