Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very proud to announce that our GP Spec Bodywork kits are now shipping and being raced! The new ergonomics are awesome! Make your Ninja 400 track or race bike look and feel like a Moto2 bike with our GP Spec bodywork kit!

Norton GP Spec Race Bodywork - Kawasaki Ninja 400

·
Registered
96 Posts

She's off to paint tomorrow. Should be done in a week.

Then I'll just need to figure out sticker placements. Also debating front wheel powdercoating. Hmm.

·
Registered
363 Posts
At the track 6-21-2020 90 degrees and 3-4 bars on the temp gauge so it is running a touch cooler with the GP upper. It normally runs 4 bars the entire time. I really like that I am able to tuck in down the straights now too, I got an additional 3mph on the top end with the same gearing as last time at Heartland 4 weeks ago.
IMG_2164.JPG
IMG_2165.JPG

·
Registered
96 Posts
Looking real good, the red really pops. I noticed you've gone with the GSXR shock too. How is it working for you? When do you hit the track again?
Signed up for classes end of August and early Sept, but will be looking for track days before that, so hopefully end of this month.

Still waiting on brake rotor from Jesse 👋

The shock just riding up and down the street is very nice. The OEM suspension for me was very lackluster to say the least, at my 180 lb.

But just look at the success Jesse has with the GSXR shock... Don't take my word for it, he won a championship on it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Jesse, any hints on getting the front number plate on nicely? I had to put a new one on because the original had the wrong font on the second 9.

184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jesse, any hints on getting the front number plate on nicely? I had to put a new one on because the original had the wrong font on the second 9.
Applying vinyl on curved surfaces is an art, just takes practice. But you have to sort of continually lay the longest cross section and stretch it the shorter direction to avoid wrinkles. With good wrap vinyl, you can heat it and it will return to it's original shape to remove sections and redo it. Cheaper vinyl only stretches once and it's impossible. I always start by laying a line down the center to set position and rotation, then usually start toward the bottom or a little up from the bottom and work out one direction at a time, stretching as you move out and up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I wonder if cut tape would make it easier, like sectioning into 4 pieces...hmm. The painter offered to come apply the sticker at some point in the future. I might take him up on that. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does this bodywork require any chopping/grinding of any bracketry on the bike? I’ve seen that the HotBodies kit requires some in the rear to get the tail on and I’d like to avoid it if possible.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The answer is yes, the tail does require that some of the brackets be cut/ground off. You can use the stock fairing bracket but you will have to relocate the over flow bottle or remove it. I've removed mine with no issues as of yet after 3 track days, one was in the mid 90's and temp made it to the fourth bar. I had already chopped up my stock fairing bracket so I'm not sure how much has to be removed if any.You may have to relocate the reg/rec too, I had already done it so I haven't looked at it.
I shopped around for bodywork last December and purchased two sets from STG before the GP stuff was available and got lucky that Norton chose the HotBodies as their platform. I've seen two different makes in person now and I'm still satisfied with my choice.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The reg/rect is a standard move, the bracket comes in the hardware kit.

The tail doesn't require as much mod as some of the others, but I had to make a Z bend out of the two wings.

Reactions: ptibbs24

·
Registered
363 Posts
The reg/rect is a standard move, the bracket comes in the hardware kit.

The tail doesn't require as much mod as some of the others, but I had to make a Z bend out of the two wings.
I moved reg/rect by drilling and tapping the vertical small frame tube and used red thread locker to secure. All I purchased from Norton was the upper and the fairing stay adapters.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts