Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been noticing that my engine temperature has been almost full bars at a stop after riding at speed. The temp would get almost full bars except for the last bar. Then from there the fan would kick in and bring the temp to 2 blank bars from the full bars.

Now, is this normal for these bikes? I don't think I'm overheating since the fans would come on and bring the temp down.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
764 Posts
its totally normal let the fan do its job, in the future im thinking of going to maybe a different oil to see if i can get temps slightly lower either way its totally fine

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I just finished an oil change 2 nights ago. I switched to full synthetic (Rotella t6) vs the original oil from the dealer. I'll keep an eye out if there is any difference but I did notice that when I rode it today that it took a while before the fan kicked in so that was a bit of a change.

I just wanted to make sure that it is somewhat in the normal category. BTW I log how the rain bolt on these bikes are easily accessible vs my other bikes. I also love that it uses a 17mm since it matches the K&N filter nut. Although I do not like the fact that they used 2 different HEX key sizes for the lower fairing.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I just finished an oil change 2 nights ago. I switched to full synthetic (Rotella t6) vs the original oil from the dealer. I'll keep an eye out if there is any difference but I did notice that when I rode it today that it took a while before the fan kicked in so that was a bit of a change.

I just wanted to make sure that it is somewhat in the normal category. BTW I log how the rain bolt on these bikes are easily accessible vs my other bikes. I also love that it uses a 17mm since it matches the K&N filter nut. Although I do not like the fact that they used 2 different HEX key sizes for the lower fairing.
Never go full synth until you have hit at least over 2k, and dont service before 900km as they say the oil the bike comes with is made for engine break in.

·
Registered
199 Posts
From anything I've ever read there is nothing special about the oil that Kawasaki uses from the factory. I "think" do recall seeing confirmation that it is conventional oil though for the break-in period. At one time the used Citco which is a typical middle of the pack conventional oil

Personally, I plan on changing it and replacing with synthetic blend around the 1k mile mark then full synthetic for the next change afterward.

Never go full synth until you have hit at least over 2k, and dont service before 900km as they say the oil the bike comes with is made for engine break in.

·
Registered
764 Posts
From anything I've ever read there is nothing special about the oil that Kawasaki uses from the factory. I "think" do recall seeing confirmation that it is conventional oil though for the break-in period. At one time the used Citco which is a typical middle of the pack conventional oil

Personally, I plan on changing it and replacing with synthetic blend around the 1k mile mark then full synthetic for the next change afterward.
thats exactly what I did, i did my first service at 600 miles than the next service I went full aka at 1600 miles changing filter each time, I have been using motul for the last 3 years but have heard great things about mobil4 so might give that a shot next

·
Registered
423 Posts
There is a lot of stop and go traffic in NYC so when I'm riding in the city it's always at 4 bars (one below the max). I'm assuming this is normal but I have also not really heard the fan kick but that may be due to the fact I usually wear ear plugs. Unless I can put a lot more miles on soon, I will not be changing the oil soon.

BTW, is the fan pretty loud when it kicks in? I'll have to listen for it next time.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Its a lot quieter now since ditching the stock exhaust. :grin:

In all seriousness, its certainly not obnoxiously loud, but quiet enough that if you're wearing ear plugs you may need to consciously listen. I really wouldn't worry about it, just ride and enjoy.

Only time I've really consciously thought about cooling fans were on my track prepped SV since it was hardwired to a switch, and my Ducati because that thing would ROAST you in traffic.

There is a lot of stop and go traffic in NYC so when I'm riding in the city it's always at 4 bars (one below the max). I'm assuming this is normal but I have also not really heard the fan kick but that may be due to the fact I usually wear ear plugs. Unless I can put a lot more miles on soon, I will not be changing the oil soon.

BTW, is the fan pretty loud when it kicks in? I'll have to listen for it next time.

·
Registered
764 Posts
fan kicks in at around second from the top temp bar, its loud enough, shouldnt be do bad even in new york, try coming here to australia where its 110 degrees ...

·
Registered
423 Posts
fan kicks in at around second from the top temp bar, its loud enough, shouldnt be do bad even in new york, try coming here to australia where its 110 degrees ...
Good to know the fan is loud. I'll listen for it next time.

Haha. it's not related to the outside temperature. It's been cold here and the last time I was riding it was around 40 F (4-5 C). So even though it's not even warm, the engine temp is at 4 bars typically.

Due to the traffic and pedestrian cross walks, I barely make it two blocks before I'm at another light and waiting...it's constant stop and go. So if the engine temp is at 4 bars in cold weather, I can't wait to find out how it is once it actually is warm here.

Reactions: TaiMc

·
Registered
656 Posts
I've been noticing that my engine temperature has been almost full bars at a stop after riding at speed. The temp would get almost full bars except for the last bar. Then from there the fan would kick in and bring the temp to 2 blank bars from the full bars.

Now, is this normal for these bikes? I don't think I'm overheating since the fans would come on and bring the temp down.

Thanks in advance!
Same Here, Temp @ full bars after sitting at a stop light, goes back to 3-4 bars while riding.. 99 Miles on my bike so far. No Worries thou.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Break-In Oil

This.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out the oil it comes with is some sort of break-in oil. We may be able to find that out if someone has an oil analysis done on a sample of it.

Break-in oil is nearly always conventional oil, but there's more to it than just that.

Break-in oil also has a special additive package that's optimized for break-in purposes. Typically the additive package of a break-in oil includes some zinc (and phosphorous) in the form of ZDDP.

There are also other beneficial additives, e.g. titanium, that do wonderful things like chemically bind to wear surfaces or whatever.

An example 10W-40 Break-in oil would be Driven Racing BR40. It's claimed to have an additive package that "promotes ring seal and provides maximum protection". :surprise: That particular product is only supposed to be left in the engine for 400 miles.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just did an hour-long ride. 20 minutes on constant 60mph and 40 minute of stop and go. It seems that on the stop and go that my temp was 1 less than a full bar which is really different from when I was breaking in the bike. I would say the full syn swap seem to help with the temp a bit. Not once did the bike hit full bars compared to the first 600 miles.

Even during break-in, my temps seem to be closer to full bars during the same route of commuting. As long as the bike temps go back down to halfway, I'm happy with the bike. This seems to be a normal thing with these motors.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Funny thing is, they're just bars.

Is there anyplace that maps those back to temperature ranges? If not, its all relatively ambiguous anyway..

Unless I hear any reports of truly overheating I'm personally not going to worry about it.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Funny thing is, they're just bars.

Is there anyplace that maps those back to temperature ranges? If not, its all relatively ambiguous anyway..

Unless I hear any reports of truly overheating I'm personally not going to worry about it.
this ^ kawasaki just didnt do the values in a more positive term, aka the 400 on the second last bar could be like the r3 in the middle

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
You'll know for sure when there is actually a problem, she will be hissing and steaming from the pressure build up and spitting coolant out the over flow breather.
I've had this happen on other bikes in city traffic when the fan(s) didnt kick in due to an electrical fault. It doesn't necessarily mean you've wrecked your motor or anything major.

My advice would be to relax and enjoy the ride. :)

1 - 20 of 93 Posts