Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went outside to take a break at work and noticed a buzzing coming from my bike. It almost sounds like the fuel pump but the key is off and upon further inspection it was just pressure in the tank. Anyone else panic at first when they heard this, if anyone else has? Lol

·
Registered
146 Posts
I went outside to take a break at work and noticed a buzzing coming from my bike. It almost sounds like the fuel pump but the key is off and upon further inspection it was just pressure in the tank. Anyone else panic at first when they heard this, if anyone else has? Lol
Hah, idk about panicking, but I have heard it turn on. It is strange, and I sometimes get a whiff of gas fumes, but I'm not really too worried about it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I noticed this for the past month after riding for 30-60 mins. I would hear a buzzing noise coming from the fuel cap, as soon as I open and release the pressure it stops. It only occurs once and a while

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I noticed this for the past month after riding for 30-60 mins. I would hear a buzzing noise coming from the fuel cap, as soon as I open and release the pressure it stops. It only occurs once and a while
I just noticed it today, I’m not worried about it as it’s just pressure built up in the tank. It sounded like the fuel pump at first which is what I freaked out about. Thought my fuel pump was running with the bike off. Lmao

·
Registered
656 Posts
Ya my kid told me my bike was making some weird noise, It stopped just as we walked by it... I said see ninjas don't make noise your just imagining it... he laughed, I knew it was vapor expansion from the tank... no worries.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Bike screams like a banshee, when venting on a warm day....
Ha! I figured you would point that out since it seems you're no stranger to Kawisakis/Ninjas. There's usually 3 or 4 of them parked together in my garage and on a hot day it sounds like a horror movie with all of them screaming inside. I figured the 400 wouldnt be any different.

·
Registered
28 Posts
High pitch squeal from gas tank area

Hi guys, I took my 400 for a 30ish minute ride the other day and after a while of riding noticed a high pitch squeal like noise coming from what sounded like the gas tank. My first thought is that it sounded kind of like a fuel pump but the noise continued even after I had turned the bike off but eventually stopped. It almost sounded as if you were letting air out of a balloon slowly. It was a hotter day (about 85 degrees F. Anyone else have something similar? Or maybe know what the noise was?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Most likely just pressure build up in the tank. Completely normal, especially in hotter conditions. If you were to remove the fuel cap the pressure should equalize and the squeal will stop. :smile:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Noisy gas tank

Hi guys, I took my 400 for a 30ish minute ride the other day and after a while of riding noticed a high pitch squeal like noise coming from what sounded like the gas tank. My first thought is that it sounded kind of like a fuel pump but the noise continued even after I had turned the bike off but eventually stopped. It almost sounded as if you were letting air out of a balloon slowly. It was a hotter day (about 85 degrees F. Anyone else have something similar? Or maybe know what the noise was?
Yes! I hear it all the time after a hot day ride, most notable after I shut off the engine. Sounded like its venting...I heard this before on other bikes.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hi all,

So I just came home after a night ride (Break in ride..) 1100 km now.
I always give the bike time at idle 2-4 minutes to warm up, and also when im finishing the ride as well, 2-4 minutes on idle then turn off.

So I came home, gave it time to cool and turned it off. About after 10 minutes I go to the garage to check some stuff and suddenly i hear a very weird noise coming off from the gas tank, My phone was at my pocket so i imdiattley pulled it and filmed.. the result is:

Any Idea?... this is a new sound that i hear from the bike after he's been turned off... usually i hear ~sometimes~ sound from the fan or something as well ~~~ when he's turned off ~~~

·
Registered
59 Posts
its a vent.....it gets cold every night where I live....so as the tank heats, gas expands, they apparently route the excess pressure through some sort of kazoo device...….mine does it constantly when it is heating up. kind of irritating, but nothing to worry about from what I understand.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Gas cap s(qu)eal?

Video of the issue.

Anyone else experience this?
It happens randomly every couple of minutes after a ride, and will only go on for about 5 seconds before it either stops or I push on the gas cap to make it stop.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yes! Your bike is burping.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts