Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased and tried the Moto Chain-Mate tool. It makes chain cleaning much less messy, but I had to modify it to make it better. Nice little kit, complete with spill mat, grunge brush, carry bag, etc. Except the chemicals.

Not perfect however, so I added a taller plastic backsplash to catch more spray.

Gas Paint Bumper Electric blue Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Wood

PS, I no longer use kerosene in a spray bottle to clean the chain because it is a nasty, smelly chemical, despite it works so well. Hence, I switched to a biodegradable degreaser called Simple Green HD degreaser. Which works very well. All it takes is one spray bottle of the SG, one bottle of rinse water and a toothbrush or the supplied grunge brush. You might be afraid of getting rust with the water, but I have not seen any signs. Just be sure to dry and lube the chain immediately after cleaning.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I use a plain old cardboard between the wheel and the chain and a cardboard in the floor to catch the "muck", but your tool looks nice.
Yeah I do that too, and it works for the most part. I also have painters tape I put on the part of the tire, chain side that would touch the road, after I run the bike on the stand to work it in and it slings the oil everywhere before riding it.......cause it always seems to somehow sling a little on the tire no matter how many times I wipe down the chain and sprocket.

This looks pretty nice and a little more efficient than the carboard method......not sure about $50 worth......but its tempting. There is also a strong possibility I could always make one of these for way cheaper

1 - 4 of 4 Posts