Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
I've always worn a helmet. You need a helmet with visor on sportbikes and nakeds. But I also used a helmet on my first bike, which was a cruiser with a windshield. It's not an imposition, it's an IQ test. :giggle:

I started riding in North Dakota, where it's mandatory for minors (under 18) but optional for adults. Except if the rider is required to wear a helmet, then the passenger must also regardless of the passenger's age.

Wisconsin, where I live now, requires a helmet for minors and for people with an instructional permit (learner's permit). The state also requires eye protection for everyone unless the bike has a windscreen at least 15 inches higher than the handlebars.

Registered
California here, we鈥檝e had helmet laws forever. New Mexico didn鈥檛 require them for adults when I lived there. I rode around town without a helmet a few times; it was exhilarating, but also seemed pretty stupid and I went back to always wearing one.

Registered
The province of Quebec will not remove the obligation of wearing a helmet. Lately, the mandatory motorcycle courses are very safety oriented (even more than they used to) which honestly is a good thing. I remember that I was kind of rolling my eyes of certain things they said but after 2 years of riding I realize that every single thing was important.

I remember back in the day when my dad had a small motorcycle, there were no helmet laws and we were riding 3 or even 4 on the same bike. That was cool and when they introduced the mandatory helmet law, to me, as a kid, it seemed weird.

Now, I would not consider riding without at least a helmet or gloves, even short distances.

The danger will probably be for new riders: more of them will avoid the helmet and the accidents that result may rise insurance prices. It happened here, in a different form: they removed the mandatory motorcycle classes for a few years. They got an increases in accidents as a result and then the license plate price just rocketed (there is a provincial insurance included in the license plate: for example I pay over 490 CAN$ Cost of Registration Renewal - Motorcycles ). The personal insurance prices did not rise much though because of the provincial cover.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I mean it鈥檚 cool without it but what if u got in a wreck and I think ur head will be destroyed it

Registered
I mean it鈥檚 cool without it but what if u got in a wreck and I think ur head will be destroyed it
I used to think for a living. And now that I'm retired, I still enjoy recreational thinking. :LOL:

But even if I was somehow immune to crashing, I just look at the bugs on my visor (and the occasional stone thrown up from traffic) to know that I need a helmet.

And I once had a low speed mishap where I locked my front wheel and went down on my face. The visor was all scratched up and the top of the helmet had a gouge where it hit the curb. I wasn't harmed and the helmet saved me a lot of pain and maybe reconstructive surgery. I'm not pretty, but I'm better looking than I would be had I not worn my modular helmet that day.

Premium Member
California here, we鈥檝e had helmet laws forever. New Mexico didn鈥檛 require them for adults when I lived there. I rode around town without a helmet a few times; it was exhilarating, but also seemed pretty stupid and I went back to always wearing one.
Not forever, think that started in the early '80s? I used to ride without a helmet, 'n was pissed when the law went into effect. Now, I once rode 1/2 a mile down our private rd to get the mail, 'n thought I was gonna die! Couldn't imagine ride'in down the HWY without a helmet; guess I'm get'in wimpy in my old age.

Registered
Yeah, I passed through NH and it is crazy. Even saw a dude leaning a bike on the highway with no hands. He had a helmet but was riding a hog barechested. Hard to get more manly than that! :D

Every time I ride without my usual gear, I feel vulnerable. I guess it is mostly psychological.

Registered
Definite no brainer. We've had a compulsory helmet requirement in NZ for a few decades now. Certainly needed one when I got my motorcycle licence back in the 1970s. Only been knocked off my bike once, but it resulted in my lovely HJC being flattened on the right hand side, and splitting the chin bar. I still can't remember anything about the accident (and have a few holes in my memory), but it certainly kept me alive.

Registered
I've been riding since 1967, CA didn't have a helmet law until about 1980. It was the expression of freedom back then. "We don't want another law telling us what to do"! Once in awhile I would be cool and ride around on my Kawasaki Mach 3, had long hippy hair flowing in the wind. But my inner self knew the consequences so I wore that Bell helmet most of the time. Fast forward to now, full face and leathers always!!​

Registered
I kind of relate it to seatbelts...we didn't wear seatbelts back in the day...but now? Wouldn't even consider sitting in the front seat of a car without putting on my seatbelt..same with bike gear...won't go anywhere without full gear.

No helmet law here in Iowa, either...crazy..

Registered
From a different angle, there's plenty of legal, yet death defying extreme sports that make a helmet-less motorcycle cruise look tame. In the end, its adults knowing and accepting risk, whether it's free climbing or base jumping or whatever. Plenty of people regard these people as stupid, but if the law allows it, and they know the risk, it's their decision.
It's a personal risk/reward calculation that differs for every individual. Yeah, they're probably wearing helmets, but that'll be the least of their concerns if something goes wrong doing some of that wild stuff.
In related vein, some people get antsy about ATGATT which I certainly understand. I've scuffed more leather than most riders ever will. But if I'm pootling around at scooter speeds down the road to run an errand, I'm not going to gear up beyond a helmet and perhaps some gloves. I'm well aware of the risk. Some people think scooter riders should be geared up head to toe also. I completely disagree. Likewise e scooters and e bikes can go pretty fast now. Should they be fully suited, maybe back protectors, elbow pads and knee pads?
Some people militantly harass others over protective gear, frankly losing all perspective.

In saying that I can't imagine not wearing a helmet (also it's mandatory here), but personally, depending on the type of ride, I'm not going to deride a seasoned rider who knows the risk and opts not to wear one for a bit of a cruise, provided it's legal of course.

Registered
I understand the personal responsibility and do not completely disagree. However, I think that lots of n00bs do not really understand the consequences until is too late. And there is a price to pay for the rest of us. If the law assures that insurance prices do not rise, it will be better but still. Some clueless guy who gets his noggin all over the road will leave some orphans behind him.

An accident can happen to anyone, no matter your skill level. The gear CAN make a difference.

If you REALLY understand the risks, I am OK with that. Maybe the helmet should be mandatory the first couple of years?

BTW, I agree with scooter riding speeds. For short distances and low speeds, I often wear only the helmet and gloves. I used to ride a scooter before. The crash could be different though so I still ride ATGATT most of the time.

Registered
I'm not so much of a fan of helmet laws for adults, but I'm a big fan of education for everyone. The basic rider course I took had sensible information about crashes and helmets. And I noticed an increase in helmet use over the years as more riders came into motorcycling by taking the course and others aged out ;) of the sport.

I remember being impressed by how the helmet and gear conversation was reasonable and adult, and thus more convincing. None of the comically exaggerated nonsense of my car drivers' license course. Even the instructor was laughing at some of the films he had to show. Top Five Driver鈥檚 Ed 鈥淪care鈥 Films - Historic Vehicle Association (HVA)

Reactions: Teorist
1 - 20 of 25 Posts