Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you might have learned I have some slight experience with Honda and won't mind continuing on that route rather than switching over to Kawasaki. Often Honda has the habit of keeping up with all the brands it rivals with, in this case they don't sell a CBR400, your only options is to either get a CBR300R or CBR500. What are the odds we will see Honda bring a new CBR400 to market? If not is going for either a CBR300R or CBR500 really the best move?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I've had a few Hondas as well, last two bikes were a CBR250R then moved up to the CBR300R when that model came out. I was expecting Honda to bring out a new model this year in the 3 - 400cc range maybe based on their hot CBR250RR which is only available in Indonesia (where they are manufactured) and Japan.
Wasn't to be so I looked to other marques for a suitable new toy and the Kawasaki ticks the boxes.

I would expect Honda to do something in the new model line for 2109 though and possibly Yamaha may be ready to update the R3, time will tell.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had an 05' Honda 600 F4i and absolutely loved it. It purred...lol. I had to sell it a couple of years after my accident as it was too heavy for me to stand up with my bum leg and foot. I sure do miss that model and hoped that a 400 would follow in the Honda line also.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Long life planned Kiwi?

I've had a few Hondas as well, last two bikes were a CBR250R then moved up to the CBR300R when that model came out. I was expecting Honda to bring out a new model this year in the 3 - 400cc range maybe based on their hot CBR250RR which is only available in Indonesia (where they are manufactured) and Japan.
Wasn't to be so I looked to other marques for a suitable new toy and the Kawasaki ticks the boxes.

I would expect Honda to do something in the new model line for 2109 though and possibly Yamaha may be ready to update the R3, time will tell.
Well if they wait till 2109 to introduce a new model line, they will have plenty of time to engineer quite a rocketship, :grin:

but to wait 91 years to introduce a new model line, you must be a patient guy with plans to live a long life ??? :wink:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Since Honda was not really attempting to visibly compete with R3 / Ninja 300 in the first place, I doubt that they will change anything at this point in response to N400. Here's my take:

CBR300 - well sorted small light weight machine, king of local urban duty.
CBR500 - larger 425 pound commuter machine that's more suitable for the freeway.

If you're planning on track days, I dunno, the smaller machine is probably more flickable and fun.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Well if they wait till 2109 to introduce a new model line, they will have plenty of time to engineer quite a rocketship, :grin:

but to wait 91 years to introduce a new model line, you must be a patient guy with plans to live a long life ??? :wink:
Well they do say patience is a virtue 😉
Good spotting, my secretary must have missed that one.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hasn't Honda done it already? They built a beautiful CBR300RR and CBR250RR, but it looks like they only sell them in Asia.

At this time, Honda doesn't seem to be interested in the fight. They are loosing on the super light class (250-400), and they stayed well behind in the 1000 class, as they waited until 2017 to make a liter bike with a decent set of electronics.

They are strong on the mid class with the CBR600RR, but that's a shrinking class. The electronics make the 1k bikes easier to handle and bringing them to the masses, and that's killing the 600 supersport class.

I like Honda, although I'm not committed to any brand. I usually choose by model, not by brand.

·
Registered
64 Posts
They are strong on the mid class with the CBR600RR
EuroIV emissions standards and slow sales have the 600RR's days numbered. They're not sold in a lot of markets now.

·
Registered
439 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Didn't see any mention of this, but it was announced earlier this month that the Baby Fireblade (CBR400R) is coming to Japan (and other international markets?) as a 2019 model. Looks to be comparably equipped as our Ninja 400 but it comes in quite a bit heavier. What do you guys think? https://www.zigwheels.com/news-features/news/2019-honda-cbr400r-unveiled-in-japan/32980/
That is just the CBR500R apparently sleeved down to comply with some Japanese licensing requirements.

·
Registered
403 Posts

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
That is just the CBR500R apparently sleeved down to comply with some Japanese licensing requirements.
^^ What he said. This Japan only model has been confusing folk for years. (I used to be the mod on the CBR300 forum)
It's basically the same old heavy and under powered 2013 CBR500R design that got a new set of clothes in 2017 to modernize it a bit and some minor engine tweaks this year.
It's a smart looking bike though and would probably keep 90% of buyers happy, but if your looking for a lightweight canyon blaster then the N400 is a better bet.

Will be interesting to see what Honda come out with when they eventually upgrade the CBR300.

·
Registered
189 Posts
That Honda 400 is almost a Honda 500. Same weight, barely less peak hp and tq (surely the low end suffers a bit). It's gotta be an engine size restriction thing for taxes probably. Which means Honda could be doing a whole lot more with that 500 engine instead of 70 mpg.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Wow that is a bit porky at 423lbs. That is the weight of a 4 cyl 600. I wonder if the price will come down some and will it come to America. Suzuki needs to join the battle in the 400 class.:clap: That is a good looking bike. Kawi 400, R3, 390 then porky CBR400.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
... It's gotta be an engine size restriction thing for taxes probably.
It's because of a step in their licencing laws that must make it either really expensive or difficult to get a 'heavy' motorcycle licence for a 400cc + bike:
Heavy motorcycle 大型自動二輪車 Any motorcycle with engine displacement over 400cc.
Ordinary motorcycle 普通自動二輪車 Any motorcycle with engine displacement over 50cc.

... I wonder if the price will come down some and will it come to America. Suzuki needs to join the battle in the 400 class.:clap: That is a good looking bike. Kawi 400, R3, 390 then porky CBR400.
It wont come to America, there's no point as its pretty much the same bike as the CBR500 but with different engine internals to reduce the capacity.
Yes Suzuki need to get in on the fun and Honda need to come out with a decent replacement for the aging CBR300.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Looks like it has a bit more power than the N400, but is quite a bit heavier...

It’s good to see other manufacturers getting into the 400 market...
:moved:

These Indian based websites will make a story out of anything...

It's just the same updates as the CBR500R has gotten this year being applied to the existing Japanese domestic market 399cc variant which was this bike below:

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_cbr400r 13.htm

1 - 20 of 25 Posts