Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Not unless it鈥檚 a 60鈥檚 or 70鈥檚 2-stroke original race bike. Of course then I would want a Honda and Suzuki and Yamaha 鈥.. no- I want to stay married and just enjoy what I have thank you.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I鈥檝e had liter bikes and 600s I seem to prefer the small cc bikes. I forgot to add the z125 to the lineup.

Registered
The 300 does nothing for me but the 250 with that screaming red line, I would buy in a heartbeat, I keep looking at the 6R but from what I gather it's as uncomfortable as the R6 and my Z H2 has fast already covers ...

Registered
I hope Kawasaki brings back the in-line 4 400s a man can dream. View attachment 21526
I thought that too - UNTIL I read about the specs and performance of those 4-cylinder 400s. They are very heavy - heavier than a modern 600 Supersport. As soon as you go to 4 cylinders, the weight seems to go up pretty rapidly. And their maintenance costs are every bit as high as the 600 Supersports. And you get less than half the peak power of the 600s. And, they cost not much less than a 600 4-cylinder Supersport (if you adjust the dolalrs to level out inflation effects. That's why they are extinct these days. The 600s make a lot more sense.

The advantages of a small displacement bike are:
  • Less weight to keep upright when rolling it around the driveway and garage
  • Better & quicker handling (ONLY IF built to the same components and design quality as a comparative larger bike, and ONLY if 2-cylinder), which feels GREAT on tight winding roads
  • Better fuel mileage (although that is low on the priority list for most sport riders)
  • PROPORTIONATELY better performance than expected because you can make a lighter weight bike "peakier" and still streetable (i.e. responsive enough at moving from a stop sign and at low rpm cruising)
  • Lower price
  • Lower insurance (VERY important to a young buyer), which you do not generally get with a 4-cylinder sporty bike)

If you cannot get all or most of those, why bother?

Jim G

Registered
To answer the original question, get whatever makes you happy, don't care about what others say. I am sure that if you go on boards for larger displacement bikes, you'll get similar opinions about our 400s.

Registered
Luckily in southeast asia, there are plenty of Low displacement sportbike options. We got a CBR250s, Yamaha R15, R3s. We even got the ZX25R. Definitely so much fun in squeezing most of what the bike offers with less risk! (sort of like what its like to own an FRS/BRZ). Regarding the rumors of a ZX4R, its likely going to be released. I do get the point that the ZX/inline4 series demands a premium, and that the premium pays for a lot of track-oriented features but I guess it is to each its own. For someone who wont track much, Its not really bad to overspend on some luxuries that you wont maximize for so long as safety is not compromised. Maybe not the most efficient choice to make, but if value in ones definition is sound of the inline 4 and bragging rights of having the BEST i4, as long as they can afford it - thats ok! Its a choice between "getting the BEST vs getting the MOST out of one's bike" and I think people have different approaches. For me, i stuck with my n400 because im in the "get the most" camp. haha!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts