Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Man those bikes look awesome side by side. Is that a tank guard that I see on your bike? Have you done any other mods to your bike yet?

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
I think maybe phaze is talking about the tank protector on the 650? I havent seen one of those for years, used to be quite common on bikes here to assist with re-sale value.

I really like the under slung exhaust and shaped swing arm of the 650.

Also noted the considerably lower redline of the 650.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's funny how both bike look so much alike.

Yes, those full tank covers are popular in Europe. I had one on my older CBR600F some years ago. They protect tank paint and have the hooks for a tank bag.
I don't know how they feel when you want to stick your leg to the tank though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm really torn between these two bikes.

Ninja 400 pros:

Weight
Handling
LED headlights
Price
Looks better from the front

Ninja 650 pros:

More torque/bhp
Dual front discs
Nicer Swingarm
Comfort
Looks better from the back!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm really torn between these two bikes.
You're overlooking the big difference, do you want a 400cc engine that you'll want to rip to 12.5K all the time, or a 650cc engine that's happy to toodle around at 4K and has 10K redline and is soft at the top relative to its mid-range. I came from an R3 to 650, and even added +1/-3 sprockets on the 650 to further lower rpms. The extra weight is a bonus on the freeway without being too much to handle in the garage or around town, it's a happy medium. At first I thought I'd be selling the N650 right away, but surprisingly it massively grew on me, and I really like it so much that I'm thinking to sell the halo Street Triple instead. The Triumph's power is inaccessible for legal street riding, I'm becoming a torque fan apparently. Anyway all just some random food for thought.

·
Registered
762 Posts
You're overlooking the big difference, do you want a 400cc engine that you'll want to rip to 12.5K all the time, or a 650cc engine that's happy to toodle around at 4K and has 10K redline and is soft at the top relative to its mid-range. I came from an R3 to 650, and even added +1/-3 sprockets on the 650 to further lower rpms. The extra weight is a bonus on the freeway without being too much to handle in the garage or around town, it's a happy medium. At first I thought I'd be selling the N650 right away, but surprisingly it massively grew on me, and I really like it so much that I'm thinking to sell the halo Street Triple instead. The Triumph's power is inaccessible for legal street riding, I'm becoming a torque fan apparently. Anyway all just some random food for thought.
exactly the same as myself, Have ridden every bike and found myself loving bikes that are more along the lines of the sv1000 and sv650 and even ridden a fz-07 which I was really surprised with "in a good way" and since selling the sv1000 I have realised I dont really like naked bikes in the sense of style but the power delivery and that why I went and ordered a 13t front sprocket for the 400. Im someone who does speed above 130-150 ever But I do like that slight pull you feel riding around town and accelerating hard :) for me it will always be acceleration > top speed

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
You're overlooking the big difference, do you want a 400cc engine that you'll want to rip to 12.5K all the time, or a 650cc engine that's happy to toodle around at 4K and has 10K redline and is soft at the top relative to its mid-range.
While I appreciate fully that the 650 is naturally a more torquey motor, this 400 is definitely not a peaky motor like a lot of 250's and 300's are. The OP wont find himself tap dancing on the gear shift pedal all the time if he opts for the 400.

·
Registered
119 Posts
While I appreciate fully that the 650 is naturally a more torquey motor, this 400 is definitely not a peaky motor like a lot of 250's and 300's are. The OP wont find himself tap dancing on the gear shift pedal all the time if he opts for the 400.
This! Exactly. I was looking at the CBR600 and when it came down to it. I'd rather ride a slow bike fast, than ride a fast bike slow. But that's relative, I happen to think 120mph top speed is more than enough for anything out on the highways and in the twisties. So calling the Ninja 400 slow is neglecting the reality of riding the machine. It doesn't get buzzy cruising along at 90mph either, and will still pull hard if you twist on the throttle at that speed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
And just how do you expect to get a N400 rider off of their bike for an hour?? :blink:
As much as I love my N400, I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to ride a N650.

Xorbe, if you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods on your bike I'd gladly swap bikes for a test ride up SR 79!

·
Registered
176 Posts
16.3% more / 14.0% less weight
18.9% more / 15.9% less horsepower
51.4% more / 33.9% less torque <---

400 Indicated RPM at 75 MPH: about 7,500 (ref)
650 Indicated RPM at 75 MPH: about 5,500 (ref)

== Ninja 400 ==
Weight incl. oil, gas, etc: 166.0 kg (366.0 pounds)
Power: 44.00 HP (32.1 kW)) @ 9500 RPM
Torque: 37.00 Nm (3.8 kgf-m or 27.3 ft.lbs) @ 7500 RPM
https://bikez.com/motorcycles/kawasaki_ninja_400_2018.php

== Ninja 650 ==
Weight incl. oil, gas, etc: 193.1 kg (425.6 pounds)
Power: 52.30 HP (38.2 kW)) @ 8000 RPM
Torque: 56.00 Nm (5.7 kgf-m or 41.3 ft.lbs) @ 4000 RPM
https://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/kawasaki_ninja_650_abs_2018.php

·
Registered
119 Posts
Guys! What are your opinion on the ninja 400's handle bar position. Does it put weight on your wrists?
The riding position is pretty upright. Even the aftermarket clip-ons that some of the other forum members have put on their bikes don't shift you forward too drastically so that basic riding position is intact. I'd imagine that coupled with some rearsets would be just enough to change the riding position from "commuter classic" to something a little more sporty.

FWIW I want some aftermarket clip-ons, I'll be opting for Woodcraft. At some point, I'd like the rearsets they off as well, but that price tag :crying:

The clip-ons thread would probably have what you are looking for.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Having sat on both in the showroom, the 400 does put a little more weight on your wrists and strain on your back but it's still nowhere near supersport levels of discomfort. The leg position is a little cramped compared to the 650 which feels like more of a sports tourer. I'm 5'10" with a 31" inseam and the 650 definitely fits me better in the leg. After sitting on the 400 it was like putting on an old pair of shoes.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts