Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oooh I love this brand new fantastic 400 green ninja abs, I'm so thrilled.
Now I need to know how many liters of oil, what kind? Can I buy at auto zone? I've seen 5 diff kind of oil bottles for motorbikes. Please advise and I only have 60 miles now for a week. Next when? 600? Filter what kind?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The manual the motorcycle comes with has all the information your looking for. It says first oil change at 600 miles. And the oil capacity states in the manual 2.3L (2.4 US QT)
Viscosity SAE 10W-40
Engine oil type: API SG, SH, SJ, SL, or SM with JASO MA, MA1 Or MA2

This is all pulled straight from the manual

·
Registered
77 Posts
Generally, get your oil at a motorcycle shop. But yes, the 400 for the most part should have 10W-40, with only an exception for extremely hot climates if I recall correctly. The manual mentions that too if you're concerned.

Now, the argument as to when or whether to start using synthetics..... let's see what people say to that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You can also use diesel thats MA JASO rated, e.g. Shell T4 15w40, or T6, I ran this in my Honda ST with no issues, despite being skeptical I was finally sold on the idea. It ran smoother, quieter, and shifted better, the engine will run cleaner, and have longer changovers. try it!!. Dont believe it? RS dirtbike racing in the 70's, or just google it

·
Registered
67 Posts
Generally, get your oil at a motorcycle shop. But yes, the 400 for the most part should have 10W-40, with only an exception for extremely hot climates if I recall correctly. The manual mentions that too if you're concerned.

Now, the argument as to when or whether to start using synthetics..... let's see what people say to that.
Synthetic oils are only branding propoganda, to stretch your pocketbook. They are not better in any way shape or form, over Dino oil

·
Registered
483 Posts
Sounds to me like you need to look it up. Corroborate your statement that synthetic oils "are not better in any way shape or form, over Dino oil".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts