Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I've nothing but sympathy for the guys struggling with gearbox issues. More than a few.

However it's probably worthwhile to add that I bought mine a few weeks ago and it's been faultless.

It would be interesting to see just how many other owners are trouble free.

I've covered 450k now with no issues.

A lot of controversial opinions over break-in. I should probably add that I'm not sticking to 4K Rpm throttle. Just too impractical and with a real risk of engine loading being high I feel. I'm averaging between 4-6 k normal riding 7-8 now for overtakes.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi Guys,
I've nothing but sympathy for the guys struggling with gearbox issues. More than a few.

However it's probably worthwhile to add that I bought mine a few weeks ago and it's been faultless.

A lot of controversial opinions over break-in. I should probably add that I'm not sticking to 4K Rpm throttle. Just too impractical and with a real risk of engine loading being high I feel. I'm averaging between 4-6 k normal riding 7-8 now for overtakes.
I've had zero issues as well and I did a hard break-in. Bought mine in February.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Guys,

IM at 1950 US miles at the moment. Mid level break in (cant do under 4k here or id be dead, but never red lined, or rode stupid during break in), did first 600 mile service at the dealer.

Ive had ZERO issues. Missed up shift once or twice but not a gearbox issue, just a poor shift!

Love my bike. I came from the 250 and the 400 is absolutely perfect for me.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Nice to hear some guys are having trouble free bikes
Most owners (by far) aren't on this Forum. We have ONE owner (@Mr Mike) with fairly serious Shifting Problems during brake in, but his seems fine now. Several others have mentioned SOME issues with shifting during brake in, and most of these seem well sorted after the first oil change.

We have ONE bike with leaking coolant thru the Head Gasket, that one is not resolved at this point.

This sounds like a pretty smooth first year bike roll-out. I've got every confidence in the Ninja 400!

I'm not going to wait for next years model if I have enough cash for the 2018, I'm going to grab mine!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ditto - I was fairly concerned about buying the first-year model, especially due to the transmission issues Mr Mike was having, but bought mine about a month ago.

I'm so used to riding bigger bikes (800-1000cc's) and can't believe how much fun the N400 is. Haven't had a single hiccup on the 450 miles I've ridden so far, and I'm impressed with the fit & finish. No issues with shifting whatsoever, can feel the engine getting smoother throughout the break-in, and even the seat seems to be feeling a bit less terrible. Can't wait until some good aftermarket seats are available, though!

Best $6 grand I've spent in a long time.

·
Registered
177 Posts
What do you lads call a hard break in,
and how is it done
If you're a racer and want to eek every ounce of power out of your bike (at the expense of some fuel economy, reliability, and longevity), you can do what @Deddie did and take it to an expert who knows how to break it in on a dyno.

See also:

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
If you're a racer and want to eek every ounce of power out of your bike (at the expense of some fuel economy, reliability, and longevity), you can do what @Deddie did and take it to an expert who knows how to break it in on a dyno.
I remain unconvinced on these points. Interesting that you write as if they are facts.
I will keep you posted on how my reliability and longevity pans out. As for my fuel economy, reading the figures other people are quoting I think mine is on par.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I remain unconvinced on these points. Interesting that you write as if they are facts.
I will keep you posted on how my reliability and longevity pans out. As for my fuel economy, reading the figures other people are quoting I think mine is on par.
Yes, they are indeed facts, which is why manufacturers recommend what they do. The Ninja 400 owner's manual puts it this way:

The first 1 600 km (1 000 mile) that
the motorcycle is ridden is designated
as the break-in period. If the motorcy-
cle is not used carefully during this pe-
riod, you may very well end up with a
“broken down” instead of a “broken in”
motorcycle after a few thousand kilo-
meters.
I do not expect you to become convinced, and that's perfectly acceptable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts