Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible fit the Ninja 400 with a center stand ? I always have the nagging feeling that my bike will tip over with the side stand.

My question is not about a center stand for maintenance but a center stand I can fit to park the bike.

I have seen some cruisers and BMW1200W parked with a center stand, wonder if this is a possibility for the Ninja 400.

·
Registered
242 Posts
At home, you can use a rear paddock stand. Center stand can dig into your lean angle on a sports bike, and adds weight.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
I remember center stands from back in the eighties and yeah they were handy for maintenance and the like but just added weight and reduced ground clearance. I got thrown off one of my bikes when the center stand dug into the road and lifted the weight off the rear wheel. I was doing 70MPH and I crossed the center line into the opposite lane as I slid, so potential for a nasty accident.

But to your question: Because the frame and engine casing weren't designed with any mounting points for a center stand it would be a tricky and expensive undertaking to get one put on. Unless you had the skills and a good work shop set up at home then you would need to enlist the services of an engineering workshop to do a 'one-off' job for you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yup. Not gonna be able to make it work.
Side stands shouldn't be feared. Just pay attention to the temps when parked on asphalt, and watch tricky angles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts