Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys i need help deciding. I just cant decide which one. I live near Fox Powersports which is selling the Ninja 400 black non abs for 3800$ (a **** steal) and the Z400 with abs red for 4200$. My friend rides a CB300R which does look pretty spiffy. Im 6ft and was told i look funny on the CB. But apart from that I dont which to get.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Looking Funny is what some of us do best. I get that reaction every time I get off my sports bike, and remove my helmet.. Mostly, it's kids making fun of what's left of my gray hair. I don't much mind that. It's the 'adults' doing the same that's not appreciated. ;)
There is not much difference in physical size or appearance in most sports bikes. Get one that's comfortable and enjoy.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Get the non abs ninja 400 especially if it’s cheaper. When you decide you want to install steel braided brake lines you will be glad you went with the non abs bike. In my opinion you don’t need abs and I prefer not to have it. That’s a good deal on the ninja 400

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Looking Funny is what some of us do best. I get that reaction every time I get off my sports bike, and remove my helmet.. Mostly, it's kids making fun of what's left of my gray hair. I don't much mind that. It's the 'adults' doing the same that's not appreciated. ;)
There is not much difference in physical size or appearance in most sports bikes. Get one that's comfortable and enjoy.
I went to the grocery store the other day, 'n this lady gets outta her car next to me 'n says;
"ain't you kinda old to be ride'in that thing? (I'm push'in 60.) Like shouldn't you be on a Harley or sumpin?"
I told I'm actually 25 yrs old, butt they been hard years! :LOL: She laughs 'n walks off toward the store, 'n as I'm put'in my helmet on a see this cat running around inside her car; even the crazy cat ladies are mocking me! ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Guys i need help deciding. I just cant decide which one. I live near Fox Powersports which is selling the Ninja 400 black non abs for 3800$ (a **** steal) and the Z400 with abs red for 4200$. My friend rides a CB300R which does look pretty spiffy. Im 6ft and was told i look funny on the CB. But apart from that I dont which to get.
NINJA 400! Both bikes are already on the smaller and lighter side because they're only a 400. The Ninja 400(abs or not) is much more aerodynamic.
Save yourself as much frustration of being kicked around on the road that you can, go with the aerodynamics!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I went z400 because i am a naked bike fan, even if i went with a super bike id get a super naked . Both are the same power wise, the z400 is lighter but the ninja 400 probably has better aerodynamics .

·
Registered
844 Posts
You didn't mention what your typical riding situation will be like. Urban, long-distance, canyon carving? The collective wisdom of the forum would likely be able to advise you better if we knew your plans.

I tested both, and decided upon the Ninja. These bikes are very similar, but the Z is slightly more upright than the N, and the overall wind protection seemed better on the N. Some people think that the suspension is just a little softer on the Z, but I couldn't tell from my test rides. I ride long distance and was looking for wind protection. There are windscreens for the Z, but I wasn't able to check them out in real life, whereas I knew from my prior Ninja 650R that a touring windscreen would work. And the lower bars on the N were comfortable to me (I had lowered the bars on my 650R). But if you're tall, perhaps the Z would be a better fit for you. And if you enjoy doing your own work, perhaps the Z would be more convenient.

It seems that a lot of track or stunt riders shun ABS. I'm getting older (retired!) and I recently moved to a place with distracted clueless drivers and roads that look as if we lost a war. So I decided that ABS would expand my margin for error. If you're street riding without track days or any interest in stunting, ABS may be a good choice for you as well. I don't know your experience level, but you'll want to know how to brake without relying on ABS even if you get an ABS bike.

There's lots of good luggage options for both bikes if that's your thing.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Are those prices OTD prices or plus fees? If that's OTD then either one us a steal.

I chose the Z because I don't see many if any at all in my area and the Z has it's own flare to it. Plus I wanted a more upright comfortable riding position.

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Are those prices OTD prices or plus fees? If that's OTD then either one us a steal.

I chose the Z because I don't see many if any at all in my area and the Z has it's own flare to it. Plus I wanted a more upright comfortable riding position.
I've always been a fan of naked upright bikes. I even bought a 2004 SV1000S with full fairings and converted it to a naked bike with handlebars. It was a fun project. I also owned a 2008 KTM Superduke. I have to admit that if the Z400 was available when I purchased my Ninja 400, it would have been a hard decision. But I probably still would have chosen the Ninja 400 because I fell in love with the blue when I saw it in the dealership...

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've always been a fan of naked upright bikes. I even bought a 2004 SV1000S with full fairings and converted it to a naked bike with handlebars. It was a fun project. I also owned a 2008 KTM Superduke. I have to admit that if the Z400 was available when I purchased my Ninja 400, it would have been a hard decision. But I probably still would have chosen the Ninja 400 because I fell in love with the blue when I saw it in the dealership...
I hear ya... the ninja definitely looks sweet. I was originally set on getting a red 2019 ninja the same weekend I got the Z but the ninja was in L.A and it just worked out on the Z so I went for it.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Be'in the cheap basturd I is, I went Z cuz they'z 'bout $700 less than the Ninja. (I've always hear that insurance companies charge mor when yer bike has the Ninja name?)
'N less bodywork to bust when I toss it down the road. 😊

1 - 20 of 23 Posts