Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
It was actually a Ninja 300. What a clueless salesman.
For real! The salesman I bought my 400 from insisted he had 2018 models in stock for "clearance" prices. When I got there all he had was 2019s. So obvious from the color schemes. I let him get all the way through the paperwork with the quoted blowout price. When he went to enter the VIN, he realized his mistake, that he was trying to sell me a 2019 for his 2018 price.

In the end, I got the sales manager to honor the deal and sell me the 2019 at the 2018 price by pretending to be surprised and irritated at "a switcheroo." So, ignorant salesman can be your bestest friend or most foolish enemy. Tread carefully. :devil:

·
Registered
119 Posts
For real! The salesman I bought my 400 from insisted he had 2018 models in stock for "clearance" prices. When I got there all he had was 2019s. So obvious from the color schemes. I let him get all the way through the paperwork with the quoted blowout price. When he went to enter the VIN, he realized his mistake, that he was trying to sell me a 2019 for his 2018 price.

In the end, I got the sales manager to honor the deal and sell me the 2019 at the 2018 price by pretending to be surprised and irritated at "a switcheroo." So, ignorant salesman can be your bestest friend or most foolish enemy. Tread carefully. :devil:
I have been keeping my eye on the sv, I have always wanted to buy one. I may wait and see if they update them being that the mt07 is getting a refresh. I think you could not go wrong with an sv650 or ninja/z400.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I have been keeping my eye on the sv, I have always wanted to buy one. I may wait and see if they update them being that the mt07 is getting a refresh. I think you could not go wrong with an sv650 or ninja/z400.

Yes I always hoped they would give it some inverted forks and a proper swingarm and rear shock, but they actually went the wrong way with the steel tube trellis like frame...the 2nd Gen's had twin-spar/truss aluminum

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Yes I always hoped they would give it some inverted forks and a proper swingarm and rear shock, but they actually went the wrong way with the steel tube trellis like frame...the 2nd Gen's had twin-spar/truss aluminum
Same. The only bonus is the third generation models are cheaper than what the gen 2's sold for. Will be interesting to see where they go from here. They dont tend to update this model often so could be a bit of a wait.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Same. The only bonus is the third generation models are cheaper than what the gen 2's sold for. Will be interesting to see where they go from here. They dont tend to update this model often so could be a bit of a wait.
Exactly, Im not holding out hope Suzuki will do it soon. Changes id like to see would be USD forks, new swing arm, slipper clutch, option for oem quick shifter and led head light. I think the engine is a peach and even displacement bump would not hurt it, id still be happy if the engine stayed the same.

Credit to Suzuki for finally throwing the Tokico brakes in the bin. They have served their purpose for a long time, next is the v strom 650 . They need to put those new 4 pistons on the wee strom and it would be a nice little upgrade.

Finally, the frame, why did Suzuki get rid of that beautiful aluminum frame?

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Exactly, Im not holding out hope Suzuki will do it soon. Changes id like to see would be USD forks, new swing arm, slipper clutch, option for oem quick shifter and led head light. I think the engine is a peach and even displacement bump would not hurt it, id still be happy if the engine stayed the same.
Yeah I've no complaints about the engine either. It would be nice to see the bike come with a fairing again or at least as an option of either faired or naked.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Go for the 650

I have owned both of these bikes with "normal" riding conditions. In my opinion, for the speeds you are talking about the 650 would be much better. The gearing especially is better for faster riding. The 650 felt only a little heavier, especially the top of the bike, but the power band is much more impressive. I would think that at the speeds you are talking about, the 650 would feel much more comfortable. In my opinion, pushing the 400 to those kinds of RPM is a little testy. Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Yeah I've no complaints about the engine either. It would be nice to see the bike come with a fairing again or at least as an option of either faired or naked.
Right, agreed proper full faired version and none of that confused, transgender fairing either. Either its a full on sleek sportbike nose, or full on touring nose. None of that well its a tourer, but its not....in-between crap. lol :grin:

I mean heck they had the N, the S and the SF, they could easily do a N with the bar risers again and a SF with a proper GSX-R sleek nose and low clip-ons on some USD forks on both.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
2020 SV650

Atomic asked me to post up some pics of my new SV and I was struggling to find an appropriate thread on a Ninja 400 forum lol. So this will do.

I got the bike about four days ago, bolted the Ninja number plate on the back and took off around the mountain passes of the South Island for a couple of days getting some miles on the motor to loosen up the bores a bit. The bike came with Pirelli Super Corsa's on it as it's going to be my next race bike. I had 900km (560miles) on the clock when I rocked up to the Dyno tuner with first oil and filter change done and a M4 full exhaust system freshly fitted. It sounds awesome now!
On the base run it showed a big hole in the mid-range power and running real rich at the top end. We manged to get that sorted by adjusting the fuel maps and gained about 4HP in the process. Then we had a look at the ignition map and gained another HP by adding three degrees of advance. Seems Suzuki had it pretty good out of the box. We also raised the rev limiter from 10,400 to 10,900rpm. We ended up with 71.5 RWHP and it feels really crisp and pulls strongly. I'll tack a pic of the dyno print out on here. It shows a comparison with a SV with stock exhaust. Both bikes were tuned by the same guy using woolich software and on the same dyno. The difference is 5 RWHP. Dont believe exhaust manufacturers website claims! :LOL:

So I'm back home now and have a nice winter race build project to keep me entertained. A few pics when it had zero kms on the clock:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
Congratulations Kiwi! That is a great looking bike, I love the trellis frame. It reminds me of the 848 I just picked up last night. Are you planning any race fairings?It must of been torture to wait so long 😷

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Congratulations Kiwi! That is a great looking bike, I love the trellis frame. It reminds me of the 848 I just picked up last night. Are you planning any race fairings?It must of been torture to wait so long 😷
Thanks, funny a lot of friends have said it reminds them of the Ducati Monster. She's no comp for a 848! Going to need to see pics of that, sounds exciting. 😮

Yep race fairings are sitting in my spare room awaiting installation. Will probably do that last and i know its going to be fiddly as they are Gen 2 fairings. There's only one guy in NZ making race fairings these days that i know of and he doesn't have a Gen 3 option yet. Looked at Hot bodies etc from the States but $$$ for freight was crazy money.

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
Thanks, funny a lot of friends have said it reminds them of the Ducati Monster. She's no comp for a 848! Going to need to see pics of that, sounds exciting. 😮

Yep race fairings are sitting in my spare room awaiting installation. Will probably do that last and i know its going to be fiddly as they are Gen 2 fairings. There's only one guy in NZ making race fairings these days that i know of and he doesn't have a Gen 3 option yet. Looked at Hot bodies etc from the States but $$$ for freight was crazy money.
I can't wait to see them. You could always do a few trips to LA and hand carry them onto the plane 😂 CaSuperbike School is back up and running at Willow Springs.

I'll shoot some pictures later on today. I just took the bike out for a spin...NOT a good city traffic bike period! But...so sweet in the curves. Taking it to the shop that I had my N400 dyno'd to swap out the rock solid springs for something that might not get me killed!

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
Here are a few iPhone pics of the new (old) bike. 2012 Ducati 848 Evo Corse. I bought it over the phone from a Honda dealership in Tampa, Florida. MotorcycleShippers trucked it to LA and I give them 5 stars for a quick no damage 2,500 mile trip. Tuesday I am taking it in to Motorsport Exotica to verify and put a new, softer shock spring in. The bike has Öhlins front and back and all stock other than that. So far I have put about 150 miles on it around west Los Angeles, tons of traffic. The bike is living up to its name. When you stop at a light, you get your eggs cooked, your neck bent and your left forearm/wrist worked out. The hydraulic clutch is 100% opposite of the N400, it is stiff and I am a wimp! It is the wrong bike for driving in the city but...on the open road with curves...oh man! The two N400's will stay in LA this year (except a few months in Colorado) the Ducati and the CRF are moving to Colorado permanently.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Ah very sexy! :love: I'm digging that paint scheme, never seen that one before. It looks really tidy too.
Wow those cans really stick out. Are they the stock ones?
The 848 seems to be a really well regarded Ducati model. Does it have anything at all in the way of electronic rider 'aids' or is it clean?
Good purchase there chap, will be an ideal Colorado mountain scratcher. 👌

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
Stock cans, traction control and quick shift. I can't sleep at night, I am so excited to get it to Colorado. For here in LA, it is super nice to get back on the Ninja.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts