Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I'm a glutton for punishment posting this in the Ninja 400 forum...

I'm 99% leaning towards grabbing the Ninja 400, but just stumbled on what is potentially a smoking deal on a 2015 R3. The bike was purchased for the sellers wife who never actually took the time to learn to ride. It has 23 (yes, 23, I didn't leave any zeros off) miles... I haven't seen it in person yet, but owner claims it has been started weekly, and that while other fluids haven't, fuel has been drained and refilled annually.

So.... This makes things interesting. He's asking $3,500 for (if it checks out) what is effectively a new R3. Lets assume no room for negotiation, that's still pretty much $2,500 less than the N400 would be out the door.

At the end of the day, I'd love any opinions as to what anyone with experience on both things. I do plan on track time (track days, not racing) so there is certainly value in the slipper clutch, edge on power, front brake, etc, but... $2,500 worth of difference?

For reference, I've been riding for for almost 25 years, had various bikes, done some novice group track days. I'm not looking for a first bike, etc... Really looking for something my wife can learn on if she wants, but something I'll still have plenty of fun on / off the track with whether she rides or not.

Even with the price difference, I'm leaning toward the 400, but would love to hear thoughts / opinions. Push me over the edge or tell me I'm an idiot for not considering the R3 more seriously...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yes, I'm a glutton for punishment posting this in the Ninja 400 forum...

I'm 99% leaning towards grabbing the Ninja 400, but just stumbled on what is potentially a smoking deal on a 2015 R3. The bike was purchased for the sellers wife who never actually took the time to learn to ride. It has 23 (yes, 23, I didn't leave any zeros off) miles... I haven't seen it in person yet, but owner claims it has been started weekly, and that while other fluids haven't, fuel has been drained and refilled annually.

So.... This makes things interesting. He's asking $3,500 for (if it checks out) what is effectively a new R3. Lets assume no room for negotiation, that's still pretty much $2,500 less than the N400 would be out the door.

At the end of the day, I'd love any opinions as to what anyone with experience on both things. I do plan on track time (track days, not racing) so there is certainly value in the slipper clutch, edge on power, front brake, etc, but... $2,500 worth of difference?

For reference, I've been riding for for almost 25 years, had various bikes, done some novice group track days. I'm not looking for a first bike, etc... Really looking for something my wife can learn on if she wants, but something I'll still have plenty of fun on / off the track with whether she rides or not.

Even with the price difference, I'm leaning toward the 400, but would love to hear thoughts / opinions. Push me over the edge or tell me I'm an idiot for not considering the R3 more seriously...
The ninja 400 is a blast bud. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another one. Only way I would go for that deal is if I couldnt afford it at the time.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I haven't ridden an R3. I have a Ninja 300 and 400.

From what I read, the R3 is pretty darn capable. I have no doubt that the 400 will roast it, performance-wise, however.

However, based on your needs...I'd rather be teaching a total beginner on a $3500 investment, than a $6k one. And of course, at $3500, that leaves plenty of room for personalizing the bike with your own mods.

All that being said, if money is not really a big factor, you won't go wrong with the 400. Also, if you search around, you can find a 400 for near or under $5k, otd, plus taxes. I paid $4874 for my ABS model, with a 60 day paper tag. At the price I paid, I don't think I would take this R3 option.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've followed the pricing thread and it certainly seems dealers are all over the board.
Locally, the best I have found is about $60 off a non-ABS model (which is almost a slap in the face, just say retail is it at that point) and $225 off a KRT.

$4874 OTD (assuming US) is an incredibly good deal. Almost have to wonder if the dealer is hurting a bit.

From what I read, the R3 is pretty darn capable. I have no doubt that the 400 will roast it, performance-wise, however.

However, based on your needs...I'd rather be teaching a total beginner on a $3500 investment, than a $6k one. And of course, at $3500, that leaves plenty of room for personalizing the bike with your own mods.

All that being said, if money is not really a big factor, you won't go wrong with the 400. Also, if you search around, you can find a 400 for near or under $5k, otd, plus taxes. I paid $4874 for my ABS model, with a 60 day paper tag. At the price I paid, I don't think I would take this R3 option.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sounds like a good deal. N400 is a better bike on the papers, but the R3 is a great bike. Tons of happy owners.

You have to consider some service cost on top of those $3500.

Flushed the tank yearly? That seems like not often enough. Ethanol gums up in weeks, not months. You may need a tank cleaning and a injectors service. If he lets you ride the bike, ask him to go to the highway and ride it at high revs to see how it does.

You will also need to flush the brakes and change the oil, unless he's done it. Check it.
Battery is 3 years old. May need replacement soon.

There were also some recalls on the 2015 R3. Check the R3 forum for details and ask the owner for the VIN# to run a check on like or with a Yamaha dealer.

That R3 sounds like a good deal, but which bike do you like the most? Do you like green bikes? or do you like blue bikes? :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed, and possibly new rubber in fairly short order as well. If I remember right it would have come with bias ply Michelin Pilot.

Very comfortable performing all of the basic maintenance myself.

And yes, I'm certainly not interested without a decent test ride given how long its been sitting. The worst thing for any vehicle is always being left to sit, fortunately though it's been in a climate controlled environment.

Really still leaning toward the 400. I suppose I'm just looking to justify spending close to double the price if he is willing to negotiate from his asking price..

Sounds like a good deal. N400 is a better bike on the papers, but the R3 is a great bike. Tons of happy owners.

You have to consider some service cost on top of those $3500.

Flushed the tank yearly? That seems like not often enough. Ethanol gums up in weeks, not months. You may need a tank cleaning and a injectors service. If he lets you ride the bike, ask him to go to the highway and ride it at high revs to see how it does.

You will also need to flush the brakes and change the oil, unless he's done it. Check it.
Battery is 3 years old. May need replacement soon.

That R3 sounds like a good deal, but which bike do you like the most?

·
Registered
145 Posts
^^ Sure, tell him your best price. It won't hurt. He may take it.

I was right there when I got my N300 in 2015. I really like the KTM RC390, but it was a new model it would cost double of a 2013 N300 with low miles and in excellent condition, and with some extras that I wanted.

I ended up getting the N300, mainly because the new by then RC390 already was know for serious issues with blown head gaskets and poor quality building.

I was (and I am) happy with the N300 because it's a great bike and I got a good deal, but I kept drooling on the RC390 for a long while.

I don't think anymore on the RC390. It feels like an old crush, LOL.
I really dig the N400 now. We crave the newest.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Topaz

Yeah, I looked pretty close at the KTM as well (both the RC and Duke actually). There wasn't necessarily any one particular thing that turned me back off to them, but I'm off that kick. A friend had an RC and has had a blast with it on the track. Fun bikes just not exactly what I'm looking for.

Knowing myself, I'm probably better off just going with the 400 and not second guessing myself down the line.

In my bike history I actually haven't owned any Yamaha or Kawasaki street bikes (owned several Suzuki's, Honda, few Ducati's - really miss my 749) so I don't really have a brand affinity between the two.

Maybe its not "that" big of a deal on a bike this size, but the slipper clutch is one of the things really pushing me to the Ninja. It also feels a little more substantial to me than the R3 sitting on both.

Back to the flip side, given the price differential etc, I'd be a little less disappointed laying the used R3 down on the track. Oh the decisions, first world problems...

Reactions: rde09 and Topaz

·
Registered
64 Posts
For the last couple of years there have been brand new leftover R3s (With a warranty) sitting in dealers here for around that price...Might not apply to everywhere but worth looking around.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like the decision has been made for me.

The guy with the R3 just let me know that he had "misunderstood his wife". Their asking price is $4,800!

Needless to say, I've wished him luck with that sale...

Currently have a dealer at $5,771 OTD (Tax, title, registration, all in) for a blue non-ABS 400.

Reactions: xorbe

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well that solved that. I was going to suggest opting for the new N400 over the R3 anyway, if you had the coin. I had an R3. Without going into details, I am wagering that N400 will be better overall than the R3, wrt quality and reliability, in addition to the dash of extra performance.

·
Registered
764 Posts

THE ninja 400 destroys it performance wise a lot more than you think it would, Owner of a 300, 400, sv1000 and daily r3 rider :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, the $ really isn't an issue, just given the original price difference it almost felt stupid not to at least consider the R3 as an option. In the end, I'm glad its resolved itself and I think I'll be VERY happy with the little Ninja. Kawasaki really seems to have ticked pretty much all the right boxes with this one.

Exhaust is really the biggest on a very short list of upgrades to be made. They even put good shoes on from the factory this time around.

Maybe some CRG levers and bar end mirrors, and fender eliminator at some point.

I suppose now its just down to confirming trim. I do like the KRT, but it kills me that they charge for the paint / decals. Not even about the cash, just the principle of it. Actually, I can get the KRT for less than an ABS model in a different color locally, for some reason..

Blue non-ABS - $5,771 OTD
KRT - $6k even OTD

I guess the REAL last question is do I want ABS. If anyone has tracked an ABS 400, I'd love to hear opinions.

Well that solved that. I was going to suggest opting for the new N400 over the R3 anyway, if you had the coin. I had an R3. Without going into details, I am wagering that N400 will be better overall than the R3, wrt quality and reliability, in addition to the dash of extra performance.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Here in australia you can only get the bike with ABS, every bike sold brand new in 2018 must come with ABS its a new law so mine has abs stock and its one of the best abs systems I have felt, very not intrusive but at the same time works great, I think its a lot better than the abs on the r3, that being said its also MILEEEESSS better than the ABS on the ninja 300

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^ Thank you for that..

I know some don't understand this perspective, but I really don't care that much about color etc.. The less attached I am the more likely to push hard on the track..

Its all about capabilities and ABS really is the last decision. Comments like that definitely push me towards the ABS camp..

I'm really pro ABS for street, and if my wife does take the opportunity to hop on and learn, just don't want it to get in the way during track days.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I think you answered your own question on if abs is worth it especially if you wife will be learning.

I know some others here have gotten some better OTD prices but 6K sounds reasonable to me. I ended up getting one at 6178 OTD for abs in pearl yellow/grey/black. I live in NYC.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Agreed, assuming she actually hops on (which may or may not "actually" happen).. Plenty of us learned without ABS and I've got a feeling that if she really does take a serious enough interest we'll probably also end up with a used grom or something to toss around in a parking lot.

$6k is not just an ABS model, but the KRT. Going to try to beat them up a bit more, but I'm in at that price regardless.

I'm really not sure why they have more flexibility on that one. $500 difference in retail, only $230 difference in OTD.

Someone is supposed to be taking my current track bike on Friday afternoon, assuming that happens I should be picking up on Saturday! :smile:

I think you answered your own question on if abs is worth it especially if you wife will be learning.

I know some others here have gotten some better OTD prices but 6K sounds reasonable to me. I ended up getting one at 6178 OTD for abs in pearl yellow/grey/black. I live in NYC.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts