Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just because it can be frustrating to get passed on the straights all the time and then have to do all that work again. Plus being a track day, I don't push it 100% and I'm a lot less aggressive with passes. So if there's someone on a 600 or 1000 in front of me that's maybe like 1-2 seconds slower than me, it can be frustrating. With a bigger bike you don't have to worry about that so it's just easier. But in racing, when everyone is on similar bikes, I've had some really fun and close racing on the little bikes.
Yeah fair enough. That was kind of my experience until I moved up groups. Faster group I occasionally hit a frustrating guy, but if I do a pit ride through I'm good. Slower groups I'd end up going through pits to avoid one frustrating group, only to hit another.

I'm actually planning on moving down groups with the bigger bike, mostly because I haven't taken it to this track and I'd imagine my braking markers etc. for the 400 will be a little off when I'm going 80km/h faster on the straights. Figure I'll give it a session or two and move up if I'm not way down on the pace. Bigger bike will make the slower group less of a pain in the ass anyway, presumably anyone slow in the corners will also be slow to get on the gas off the corner.

·
Director of Moderation
2,311 Posts
Yeah fair enough. That was kind of my experience until I moved up groups. Faster group I occasionally hit a frustrating guy, but if I do a pit ride through I'm good. Slower groups I'd end up going through pits to avoid one frustrating group, only to hit another.

I'm actually planning on moving down groups with the bigger bike, mostly because I haven't taken it to this track and I'd imagine my braking markers etc. for the 400 will be a little off when I'm going 80km/h faster on the straights. Figure I'll give it a session or two and move up if I'm not way down on the pace. Bigger bike will make the slower group less of a pain in the ass anyway, presumably anyone slow in the corners will also be slow to get on the gas off the corner.
Well there isn't a faster group I can bump up to, so I can't do that lol For me that changes throughout the day because I've noticed most people who do track days but don't race take their sweet time to get up in pace. They start off slow in the first session, like 10+ seconds off their best pace, and gradually get faster with each session. I'm used to racing though where you don't have all day to get up to pace, so I'm used to pushing more early on. I'm generally about 3-4 seconds off my best time in the first session of the day while I'm just warming up and finding my rhythm, then about 2 seconds off my race pace in the 2nd session, after which I don't really get any faster the rest of the day. I've been to track days at my local track where in the first couple of sessions I never got passed at all despite being on a 400 in the advanced group. But by the end of the day it's totally different. So having the 400 and the ZX6R now, I'll usually ride the 400 in the first 2-3 sessions, and then the ZX6R the rest of the day.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well there isn't a faster group I can bump up to, so I can't do that lol For me that changes throughout the day because I've noticed most people who do track days but don't race take their sweet time to get up in pace. They start off slow in the first session, like 10+ seconds off their best pace, and gradually get faster with each session. I'm used to racing though where you don't have all day to get up to pace, so I'm used to pushing more early on. I'm generally about 3-4 seconds off my best time in the first session of the day while I'm just warming up and finding my rhythm, then about 2 seconds off my race pace in the 2nd session, after which I don't really get any faster the rest of the day. I've been to track days at my local track where in the first couple of sessions I never got passed at all despite being on a 400 in the advanced group. But by the end of the day it's totally different. So having the 400 and the ZX6R now, I'll usually ride the 400 in the first 2-3 sessions, and then the ZX6R the rest of the day.
Ahh ok, the track I've been running recently has 4 groups, new, slow, intermediate-fast and fast. Fast wants "consistent 1:05 or below". Lap record for 300 class is 1:03. So I'd imagine I'll be a while off that kind of pace, currently if I'm lucky I'm in the 1:07's. Would suck being one of the fastest in the fast group on a slow bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Ahh ok, the track I've been running recently has 4 groups, new, slow, intermediate-fast and fast. Fast wants "consistent 1:05 or below". Lap record for 300 class is 1:03. So I'd imagine I'll be a while off that kind of pace, currently if I'm lucky I'm in the 1:07's. Would suck being one of the fastest in the fast group on a slow bike.
Sounds like a short track, like around a mile or mile and a quarter?

The track I posted video of above is about 3 miles and it has a 5 mile configuration

We also run a cart track and use SuperMotos and I typically run :58 or :59s and it’s about 5/8s of a mile

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sounds like a short track, like around a mile or mile and a quarter?

The track I posted video of above is about 3 miles and it has a 5 mile configuration

We also run a cart track and use SuperMotos and I typically run :58 or :59s and it’s about 5/8s of a mile
Close, looks like it's around 1.34 mi/2.16km. The lap record for any bike is 56.518 (GSXR1000). Generally preferred track for smaller bikes, as opposed to the bigger ones like Phillip Island which is high paced and, I'm imagining as I haven't done it on the little bike yet, fairly boring on a slow bike. Probably head there later this year, it's a lot closer to my house actually, their track days are just a lot less accessible. Generally only on week days, booked out a lot longer in advance, and cost $300 AUD vs. $180 AUD of smaller tracks.

That being said PI has run off for days, Broadford is more grass, ditch, hill. PI is probably better for your health if you come off :p

·
Director of Moderation
2,311 Posts
Close, looks like it's around 1.34 mi/2.16km. The lap record for any bike is 56.518 (GSXR1000). Generally preferred track for smaller bikes, as opposed to the bigger ones like Phillip Island which is high paced and, I'm imagining as I haven't done it on the little bike yet, fairly boring on a slow bike. Probably head there later this year, it's a lot closer to my house actually, their track days are just a lot less accessible. Generally only on week days, booked out a lot longer in advance, and cost $300 AUD vs. $180 AUD of smaller tracks.

That being said PI has run off for days, Broadford is more grass, ditch, hill. PI is probably better for your health if you come off :p
PI is a bucket list track for me! I would love to ride that track on any bike!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Tore into the bike before leaving for a track day to put a hose clamp on the pair valve until I design my own and machine a set. Also replaced the battery with a lithium and removed the tool kit. Took about 7 more pounds off of her. She’s down to 345 now and planning on new bodywork soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Did a few sessions on her and she felt pretty good. Amazing enough the stock Q3s felt pretty good. I will most likely switch these out to a race tire soon after a few other mods are completed.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts