Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I am Scott and just joined this morning. I have been lurking for a few months now and finally decided to join.

Recently bought a 2018 Ninja with 800 miles and a 2019 Z 400 with 450 miles for the wife and I. We use them for the track only.

Recently decided to get my AFM license (next month) and start racing the 400.

I am going to be making this bike as light as possible despite me not being a small guy. I love to fabricate parts on CNC machines and make things work better. Hoping I can learn lots of tricks and knowledge from you folks.

Full tank of fuel and weighs in at 369

After her first track day and we stripped a bunch of stuff off.

Current weight of around 353, but I need to check and see how full the tank is

And the wife's Z

I will update as we progress as I am currently looking at race bodywork, exhaust and lithium batteries.

Cheers my friends!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Welcome! Interested to follow your weight loss journey. I haven't gone nuts, most of the weight loss has just been due to race prepping the bike / out of necessity to fit race fairings etc.
I think the only specific weight loss mod I'm considering at this point is switching the stock battery out for something less moist, but price for a good brand one in AU is a bit of a blocker.

Out of interest, why did you get the Z400 for the second bike vs just grabbing two 400's?

·
Registered
599 Posts
The best weight gain for the dollar is the battery. After that it’s stripping all the lights and street plastic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome! Interested to follow your weight loss journey. I haven't gone nuts, most of the weight loss has just been due to race prepping the bike / out of necessity to fit race fairings etc.
I think the only specific weight loss mod I'm considering at this point is switching the stock battery out for something less moist, but price for a good brand one in AU is a bit of a blocker.

Out of interest, why did you get the Z400 for the second bike vs just grabbing two 400's?
I thought my wife would like the more upright seating position. I think she prefers the sportier look of the Ninja. She said she would ride it a few times. We will see, but I think I will end up selling the Z to get her a Ninja.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The best weight gain for the dollar is the battery. After that it’s stripping all the lights and street plastic.
Yep ordering that tomorrow. Currently looking at bodywork and titanium exhaust.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Welcome. You'll bring it down quite a bit more yet. Mines 350lb bang on in street Legal trim with a FULL tank of gas.
Batt and exhaust are the two big savers.

·
Director of Moderation
2,311 Posts
Mine's at 312 lbs with just enough gas for a short sprint race. We have a member on here who got his down to somewhere in the 285-290 range.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine's at 312 lbs with just enough gas for a short sprint race. We have a member on here who got his down to somewhere in the 285-290 range.
Is there a link to yours or his? 312 sounds legit, but 285 is amazing. Did that member do wheels.

·
Director of Moderation
2,311 Posts
Is there a link to yours or his? 312 sounds legit, but 285 is amazing. Did that member do wheels.
No he didn't. Still stock wheels. He just cut off everything that wasn't needed off the wiring harness, part of the sub frame, and various tabs and other pieces off the frame that aren't needed. Plus he replaced some of the steel brackets that attach to the frame with aluminum parts that he made. He's got a thread with the parts he made somewhere on here. His username is BretSV.

I've had a couple of threads for my build since I joined the forum. I have one for every racing season from 2019 to 2021 I believe. Everything I did is in those threads, although the majority is made up of race report posts, racing videos, pictures, and other random comments. I didn't do anything special to mine. Just doing the typical stuff that everyone does (exhaust, race bodywork, battery, clip-ons, rear sets, getting rid of all the lights and other plastic parts that are unnecessary, etc.) will bring it down to about 315 lbs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No he didn't. Still stock wheels. He just cut off everything that wasn't needed off the wiring harness, part of the sub frame, and various tabs and other pieces off the frame that aren't needed. Plus he replaced some of the steel brackets that attach to the frame with aluminum parts that he made. He's got a thread with the parts he made somewhere on here. His username is BretSV.

I've had a couple of threads for my build since I joined the forum. I have one for every racing season from 2019 to 2021 I believe. Everything I did is in those threads, although the majority is made up of race report posts, racing videos, pictures, and other random comments. I didn't do anything special to mine. Just doing the typical stuff that everyone does (exhaust, race bodywork, battery, clip-ons, rear sets, getting rid of all the lights and other plastic parts that are unnecessary, etc.) will bring it down to about 315 lbs.
That’s cool, I appreciate your responses. I am looking forward to racing this thing. I have done track days on it, but prefer the SuperMoto when we are on the smaller track and prefer the 1000 on the bigger track.

Recently did a few sessions on a buddies Ninja 300. Top speed on the front straight was around 103-104. Was making sandwiches and calling friends and family on the straights

·
Director of Moderation
2,311 Posts
That’s cool, I appreciate your responses. I am looking forward to racing this thing. I have done track days on it, but prefer the SuperMoto when we are on the smaller track and prefer the 1000 on the bigger track.

Recently did a few sessions on a buddies Ninja 300. Top speed on the front straight was around 103-104. Was making sandwiches and calling friends and family on the straights
Little bikes are way more fun in racing when everyone is on similar bikes. I prefer a bigger bike for track days, but I've had the most fun racing on little bikes, rather than 600s or 1000s. The 400 isn't a slouch. Depending on the length of the straights you can get over 120 in some cases.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Top speed on the front straight was around 103-104
How longs the straight? I max out around 174km/h (108mph) on the 400 at the track I go to, not huge straights though and hilly. Also not tuned at all, closest to tuned I am is AIS removal and an O2 sensor eliminator.

Lots of fun racing the thing, although I've only done mixed bike racing at the moment, i.e. I was on the 400 racing people who do similar lap times on 600's. Doing the ECU mods later in the year so I can run in a 300 class. Hopefully less of a waving goodbye to people on the straights and saying hi again at the first corner.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Little bikes are way more fun in racing when everyone is on similar bikes. I prefer a bigger bike for track days, but I've had the most fun racing on little bikes, rather than 600s or 1000s. The 400 isn't a slouch. Depending on the length of the straights you can get over 120 in some cases.
Good to know! I love riding them as they are an absolute riot. That and me being a bigger guy I get a kick out of picking off the occasional liter bike in the corners

·
Director of Moderation
2,311 Posts
Good to know! I love riding them as they are an absolute riot. That and me being a bigger guy I get a kick out of picking off the occasional liter bike in the corners
Yeah I'm a bigger guy too (230 lbs without the gear). Definitely at a disadvantage as weight makes a significant difference on these bikes, but it's still a blast!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How longs the straight? I max out around 174km/h (108mph) on the 400 at the track I go to, not huge straights though and hilly. Also not tuned at all, closest to tuned I am is AIS removal and an O2 sensor eliminator.

Lots of fun racing the thing, although I've only done mixed bike racing at the moment, i.e. I was on the 400 racing people who do similar lap times on 600's. Doing the ECU mods later in the year so I can run in a 300 class. Hopefully less of a waving goodbye to people on the straights and saying hi again at the first corner.
Not sure how long it is, but here’s some video on the 300

·
Registered
160 Posts
I prefer a bigger bike for track days
Why is that? I tend to hang around in the faster paced groups, so the corner speed tends to not be different enough that I'm catching them in a frustrating way.
That being said I'm taking the S1KRR next time, been a while, will be interesting to see how much I've improved since using the N400 as a track bike, and how much time I gain by being on the bigger bike.

Ah nice, couple of straights there, seem to be about as long / little longer compared to where I ride. Guess the 300's top speed vs. the 400's is probably one of the bigger diffs.
Here's my last race, if interested. Real amateur stuff, first time racing, so there's no scraping helmets etc. funny though watching the leader especially disappear in the straights (636). Second guy is on a GPZ 550 or something.

·
Director of Moderation
2,311 Posts
Why is that? I tend to hang around in the faster paced groups, so the corner speed tends to not be different enough that I'm catching them in a frustrating way.
That being said I'm taking the S1KRR next time, been a while, will be interesting to see how much I've improved since using the N400 as a track bike, and how much time I gain by being on the bigger bike.
Just because it can be frustrating to get passed on the straights all the time and then have to do all that work again. Plus being a track day, I don't push it 100% and I'm a lot less aggressive with passes. So if there's someone on a 600 or 1000 in front of me that's maybe like 1-2 seconds slower than me, it can be frustrating. With a bigger bike you don't have to worry about that so it's just easier. But in racing, when everyone is on similar bikes, I've had some really fun and close racing on the little bikes.

·
Director of Moderation
2,311 Posts
Go to Daytona some day...talk about making breakfast on the straightaway! lol I just looked at one of my videos from March and even on the 400 it's about 37 seconds of WOT from the last turn to turn 1 lol On a 300 it would probably be about 40-43 seconds lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts