Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

281 - 292 of 292 Posts

·
Director of Moderation
2,211 Posts
We do not have an HOA in our neighborhood at all. So no rules preventing me from parking a trailer in driveway. So you think just got for it, huh? :cool:
I would always go with an enclosed trailer instead of an open trailer, for the reasons @Duckman mentioned already. Only reason to ever get an open trailer in my opinion is if you don't have the space for a bigger trailer or if you don't have the money for one (but in the case of Kendon trailers, those are just as expensive as a simple 1-axle 6'x10" trailer).

·
Director of Moderation
2,211 Posts
Are you thinking about upsizing yours? Are you able to fit the pitbike in there with both the big bikes?

I am looking at pitbikes now. I am considering the following

1. CRF110 (auto clutch, so my wife can ride this easier. I had a KLX110L that she rode but working the clutch is harder for her. Even though she used to drive a stick) I would also probably take the bike to 3 Palms to mess around on the pit track if I went with the CRF.

2. Zuma 125 - Easy to ride. No clutch so wife can ride easier. Fairly cheap.

3. Grom/Z 125 - Easy to ride. Has a clutch so the wife would struggle more with this. Fairly cheap.

I am leaning more towards the Zuma or the CRF110.
Definitely Zuma! Or any other scooter. For practical reasons, you can't beat a scooter as a pit bike. No clutch means you can use your left hand for carrying stuff around the pits, like a wheel, or tire, or other gear when you go from place to place. Or simply a beer :) I have a Zuma 125 that I got a few years ago. Only pit bike I've had so far and have zero regrets. Not jealous at all of anyone that has a Grom or other small motorcycles. Being a 125 is a nice bonus cuz it's fast enough to go on most public roads, except highways. Best $900 I've spent!

Also, as an added bonus, there are a couple of people who make TRS pins for the Zuma 125. You won't find them for any other scooter most likely, but they do exist for the Zuma 125. If you go that route, and you want to use a Pitbull TRS, let me know and I can get you in contact with one of my friends who makes them.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Do you live in an HOA that prohibits trailers sitting in the driveway? If not, then who cares if people think it's an eyesore. I personally like seeing trailers in driveways, as long as it's not some totally raggedy POS lol
+1 Absolutely, are we not rough 'n tough motorcycle racer types who don't give a crap about the curtain twitchers here or what?? ;)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
Definitely Zuma! Or any other scooter. For practical reasons, you can't beat a scooter as a pit bike. No clutch means you can use your left hand for carrying stuff around the pits, like a wheel, or tire, or other gear when you go from place to place. Or simply a beer :) I have a Zuma 125 that I got a few years ago. Only pit bike I've had so far and have zero regrets. Not jealous at all of anyone that has a Grom or other small motorcycles. Being a 125 is a nice bonus cuz it's fast enough to go on most public roads, except highways. Best $900 I've spent!

Also, as an added bonus, there are a couple of people who make TRS pins for the Zuma 125. You won't find them for any other scooter most likely, but they do exist for the Zuma 125. If you go that route, and you want to use a Pitbull TRS, let me know and I can get you in contact with one of my friends who makes them.
Nice! I would love to have TRS for the 400 and pitbike (where ever I end up getting). Though I will say, I have looked for Zuma 125's and haven't seen anything that looked decent for under $3000. What is typical?

$900 seems like a steal!

·
Director of Moderation
2,211 Posts
Nice! I would love to have TRS for the 400 and pitbike (where ever I end up getting). Though I will say, I have looked for Zuma 125's and haven't seen anything that looked decent for under $3000. What is typical?

$900 seems like a steal!
$900 was definitely a steal of a deal, and I haven't seen anywhere near that since then. This was also in 2017 so it was only 8-9 years old at the time with 1000 miles on it, all stock. I see them going for around $1500-$1800 if it's about a 8-12 year old one in decent shape.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
Mines a 7x12. Two bikes side by side and the Z125 sideways in the back.

I wish I had a clutch less pit bike for pulling a tire&gas trailer around the pits.
@Duckman do you have any recommendations for where to buy a trailer? I have looked at craigslist, FB marketplace, etc. and have seen 6x12 enclosed tandem axles ranging from $4500-6000 brand new. Did you get yours new? If so, would you recommend me going there to the same dealer?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Ours is a pretty cheap one. Got it new from a place on I10 between Houston and Baytown. But I don’t recommend it or them. The wiring for the lights and electric brakes was such a mess I’ve had to do a lot of work fixing screwed up stuff. But it was pretty cheap at about $4500 total for 7x12 dual axel with brakes. The brand is Covered Wagon.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #288 ·
Ours is a pretty cheap one. Got it new from a place on I10 between Houston and Baytown. But I don’t recommend it or them. The wiring for the lights and electric brakes was such a mess I’ve had to do a lot of work fixing screwed up stuff. But it was pretty cheap at about $4500 total for 7x12 dual axel with brakes. The brand is Covered Wagon.
There is a local place that has a 6x12 tandem axle "Spartan" for $5400 out the door. I will go by and check it out. I have been reading on what to look for on these cargo trailers. .03 outer skin, solid roof, 16" OC framing, vents, etc. It looks like a nice trailer, but we will see in person....

·
Director of Moderation
2,211 Posts
There is a local place that has a 6x12 tandem axle "Spartan" for $5400 out the door. I will go by and check it out. I have been reading on what to look for on these cargo trailers. .03 outer skin, solid roof, 16" OC framing, vents, etc. It looks like a nice trailer, but we will see in person....
Holy cow that's expensive as **** for a 6x12!! I paid $6000 for my 8.5x16 (18' with the V nose), with 12" extra height, AC/heater unit on top, insulated walls with 3/4" plywood, mini-fridge, dropdown bed with queen size mattress, window, a couple of cabinets for storage, lights, insulated ceiling, wired for 50A with breaker box, and even came with a Pitbull TRS and a nice Curt distribution hitch. Granted it was used but only 2 years old at the time I got it so it was in very good condition. And yes it also has the .030" inch aluminum skin and 16" OC framing.

A simple 6x12 trailer that doesn't come with any of those things I mentioned should be like $3000-$3500 new. Unless prices skyrocketed in the last couple of years. When I bought mine I also looked at new trailers and I saw a lot of 7x14 dual axle trailers for about $4000-$4500.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #290 ·
Holy cow that's expensive as **** for a 6x12!! I paid $6000 for my 8.5x16 (18' with the V nose), with 12" extra height, AC/heater unit on top, insulated walls with 3/4" plywood, mini-fridge, dropdown bed with queen size mattress, window, a couple of cabinets for storage, lights, insulated ceiling, wired for 50A with breaker box, and even came with a Pitbull TRS and a nice Curt distribution hitch. Granted it was used but only 2 years old at the time I got it so it was in very good condition. And yes it also has the .030" inch aluminum skin and 16" OC framing.

A simple 6x12 trailer that doesn't come with any of those things I mentioned should be like $3000-$3500 new. Unless prices skyrocketed in the last couple of years. When I bought mine I also looked at new trailers and I saw a lot of 7x14 dual axle trailers for about $4000-$4500.
The cheapest 6x12 tandem axle I have found was around $4500 I think, but it was not quite tall enough for me to not hit my head walking around. Also, it appeared to be more cheaply built.

I work in construction management and I will say prices on materials have skyrocketed. All metals, lumber, and other materials have shot up a lot. Maybe that is why these trailers are so much more than when you purchased?

I called a place and talked to a guy. He said when the next deliveries of 6x12's come in, they will be more expensive because the material cost keeps going up.

7x14's I am seeing are $6500+ o_O

I could pick up a 6x12 single axle for about $1000 cheaper than a tandem axle.

·
Director of Moderation
2,211 Posts
The cheapest 6x12 tandem axle I have found was around $4500 I think, but it was not quite tall enough for me to not hit my head walking around. Also, it appeared to be more cheaply built.

I work in construction management and I will say prices on materials have skyrocketed. All metals, lumber, and other materials have shot up a lot. Maybe that is why these trailers are so much more than when you purchased?

I called a place and talked to a guy. He said when the next deliveries of 6x12's come in, they will be more expensive because the material cost keeps going up.

7x14's I am seeing are $6500+ o_O

I could pick up a 6x12 single axle for about $1000 cheaper than a tandem axle.
Oh yeah I forgot about the raw material price increase. Yeah that makes sense then. I know most lumber is about 2-3 times higher than what it was pre-2020, and I imagine steel and aluminum is quite a bit higher as well. Well I guess I won't be selling mine anytime soon.

Honestly for a 6x12 you don't really need dual axles, but it is nicer to have. 2 axles makes it more stable when towing, makes it easier to back it into places, and if you have a flat tire, it's not as catastrophic as with a single axle. You can even keep going as long as it's not overloaded. Also having electric brakes is nice.

I used to have a 6x12 single axle that was all aluminum and it was low profile (5'6" interior height), so it would fit through a standard size garage door. It pulled so easy cuz it weighed only 1550 lbs empty. Sold it for $2700 and it came with a few accessories inside plus a spare tire. But I've hurt my head way more getting in and out of that trailer than in all my motorcycle crashes combined! **** near knocked myself out one time trying to get out of it! lol In my current one I can do jumping jacks if I want to! lol But it's like towing a parachute so my gas mileage is horrendous!

281 - 292 of 292 Posts