Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

261 - 280 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
I've not ever had anything find a new home while at the race track but I have had a fuel can come up missing from a hotel parking lot. I'd much rather leave all of my gear at the track than at a hotel. Way more sketchy people in the general public than at the track. I do know one of the endurance teams' trailer with everything in it, was stolen from a hotel many years ago. It was recovered several days later with their riding gear and a few other items but no bikes or any of the supporting gear.

@sbk1198 a good table is hard to find ;) That is a really odd thing to take purposely, I'd lean towards someone sent a crew member to get "their" table and snagged the wrong one then was too embarrassed or noticed too late to return it.

·
Director of Moderation
2,211 Posts
I've not ever had anything find a new home while at the race track but I have had a fuel can come up missing from a hotel parking lot. I'd much rather leave all of my gear at the track than at a hotel. Way more sketchy people in the general public than at the track. I do know one of the endurance teams' trailer with everything in it, was stolen from a hotel many years ago. It was recovered several days later with their riding gear and a few other items but no bikes or any of the supporting gear.

@sbk1198 a good table is hard to find ;) That is a really odd thing to take purposely, I'd lean towards someone sent a crew member to get "their" table and snagged the wrong one then was too embarrassed or noticed too late to return it.
Could be. Some other guy had his inner wheel spacers stolen from his D200 R6 wheels the night before the D200 race. That ended up in a long thread on the CCS facebook page, but the general opinion was that the Dunlop tire guys took them out when changing his tires and put them on the table and he never picked them up along with the wheels. A couple of people had reported seeing 2 spacers sitting on the Dunlop table lol But he was adamant about having them after the tire changes.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 · (Edited)
Yea, I have heard of entire box trailers being stolen from hotel parking lots..... very scary. There was a guy I used to ride with back in the day. He was from out of town and had a box trailer with his fancy Ducati and MV. Someone tried to steal the trailer from his truck. The thing was hitched to his truck even....

Then next night he camped out inside the trailer with his pistol. No one came back and tried messing with it again... luckily for all parties.

Unfortunately there are scumbags out there that steal people's hard earned stuff... and for something to get stolen at a racetrack... If it turned out to be a racer and they were caught, IMO they should be banned from racing in the organization for life.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
I wasn't going to mention this one as it kinda falls into the 'unverified' event category as well but last year at the Nats I think I got my chest protector swiped. I'm normally pretty careful with my gear and where I place it. Generally when I come in from a race the chest protector and gloves etc get tossed on my fold up chair as I de-robe.
I wandered off to collect my license and got chatting etc. During the pack up I noticed the chest protector was gone. It wasn't on the ground when I drove away so when I got home I striped the van and triple checked every possible box it could have got thrown into. My gut feeling is that it was an easy theft for a opportunist walking past being such a small item.
Still pisses me off to this day so talking about it is probably good therapy lol. 😄

·
Registered
477 Posts
Last year we were at a race in Cresson, TX and pitted next to the Altus team (Kevin Olmedo) and had this very conversation with his mechanic. They put all equipment in the trailer but left it at the track at night. We loaded up and took ours with us to the motel.

He said that last year they were at a motel with the trailer and had bikes and everything valuable stolen so they now leave it at the track. I just need to convince myself this is the better option most of the time.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Last year we were at a race in Cresson, TX and pitted next to the Altus team (Kevin Olmedo) and had this very conversation with his mechanic. They put all equipment in the trailer but left it at the track at night. We loaded up and took ours with us to the motel.

He said that last year they were at a motel with the trailer and had bikes and everything valuable stolen so they now leave it at the track. I just need to convince myself this is the better option most of the time.
I think a locked trailer at a track would be an OK option. I have everything in my van so I've stopped using Motels now and are using AirBnB accommodations instead, but I check with the owner/host first about whether they have proper off street parking or not. Generally the places are in residential zones which are safer so I sleep easy and also as a bonus they are in quiet neighborhoods rather than next to a main drag. Oh and better bang for your buck!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
I wonder how much my neighbors will hate me if I have a 6x12 cargo trailer parked in the driveway all the time? My neighborhood has no HOA, so I can allowed to do this without any kind of penalty/violation. That said, I don't want to make the neighborhood and surrounding houses look bad with a trailer parked in the driveway 24/7.

I have seen a house in the neighborhood that has an old school bus they converted into an RV. They always have it in their driveway it seems and it looks like S!#@!! I would think that guys neighbors are not too thrilled about that.

My options are:
1. Buy a Kendon fold up trailer. (Price approx. $2000 - $3000.)
(This helps some with transport but I still do not have an enclosed box to lock my stuff in. Granted an enclosed trailer in not a guarantee things won't get stolen, but it makes it more difficult and thus IMO less likely to get stolen at a trackday/race.)

2. Buy a cargo trailer. (Price approx. $3000 -$5000.) This would probably be the best thing as I do not need to buy a new vehicle to pull with and I can store all my stuff in it at the track days/races without worrying too much. I would lock the trailer and leave at the track overnight. I think this is much safer than leaving a bike just out under a canopy, with stands, etc. Obviously not 100% safe, but probably safe enough.

3. Buy a Ford Transit Cargo van and use as my DD. (Price approx. $30000 -$37000. Offset by selling my truck for approx. $28000 = $2,000 - $9,000) This is the worst option of the three IMO. I could sell my truck and buy a Ford Transit cargo van. Get it set up, but then I am daily driving a cargo van..... Granted we still have my wife's car for things, but still. I have read people DD these cargo vans and they say they drive pretty good. I am a project manager in construction management, so I am driving occasionally on jobsite that have dirt. The transit has enough clearance for what I would need to drive on. Those cargo vans are not cheap though.... used they run $29,000 - $37,000 depending on the trim, etc.

If you get one with the ecoboost motor they have pretty good pep. I talked to a guy who drives one for work and he says it drives good. Though I could park this in the driveway and neighbors should not complain (really no different than parking my truck. Sure it may not be as pretty, but here are guys in the neighborhood with work vans they DD)

4. Buy a small toy hauler and have it stored at a RV storage facility. (Price approx. $15,000 -$20,000 + Storage fees) This would be the most $$$ expensive. I could pick one up used for probably $15,000- $20,000 and then at least $150 + storage fees per month. This is the least feasible for me financially. My wife and I just bought a house and are starting a full renovation. So we need to keep as much $$ as we can for the house.

This option would be the most comfortable option for the track though....

What do yall think?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I wonder how much my neighbors will hate me if I have a 6x12 cargo trailer parked in the driveway all the time? My neighborhood has no HOA, so I can allowed to do this without any kind of penalty/violation. That said, I don't want to make the neighborhood and surrounding houses look bad with a trailer parked in the driveway 24/7.

I have seen a house in the neighborhood that has an old school bus they converted into an RV. They always have it in their driveway it seems and it looks like S!#@!! I would think that guys neighbors are not too thrilled about that.

My options are:
1. Buy a Kendon fold up trailer. (Price approx. $2000 - $3000.)
(This helps some with transport but I still do not have an enclosed box to lock my stuff in. Granted an enclosed trailer in not a guarantee things won't get stolen, but it makes it more difficult and thus IMO less likely to get stolen at a trackday/race.)

2. Buy a cargo trailer. (Price approx. $3000 -$5000.) This would probably be the best thing as I do not need to buy a new vehicle to pull with and I can store all my stuff in it at the track days/races without worrying too much. I would lock the trailer and leave at the track overnight. I think this is much safer than leaving a bike just out under a canopy, with stands, etc. Obviously not 100% safe, but probably safe enough.

3. Buy a Ford Transit Cargo van and use as my DD. (Price approx. $30000 -$37000. Offset by selling my truck for approx. $28000 = $2,000 - $9,000) This is the worst option of the three IMO. I could sell my truck and buy a Ford Transit cargo van. Get it set up, but then I am daily driving a cargo van..... Granted we still have my wife's car for things, but still. I have read people DD these cargo vans and they say they drive pretty good. I am a project manager in construction management, so I am driving occasionally on jobsite that have dirt. The transit has enough clearance for what I would need to drive on. Those cargo vans are not cheap though.... used they run $29,000 - $37,000 depending on the trim, etc.

If you get one with the ecoboost motor they have pretty good pep. I talked to a guy who drives one for work and he says it drives good. Though I could park this in the driveway and neighbors should not complain (really no different than parking my truck. Sure it may not be as pretty, but here are guys in the neighborhood with work vans they DD)

4. Buy a small toy hauler and have it stored at a RV storage facility. (Price approx. $15,000 -$20,000 + Storage fees) This would be the most $$$ expensive. I could pick one up used for probably $15,000- $20,000 and then at least $150 + storage fees per month. This is the least feasible for me financially. My wife and I just bought a house and are starting a full renovation. So we need to keep as much $$ as we can for the house.

This option would be the most comfortable option for the track though....

What do yall think?
If you have room on the side or your house park it there and put up a big gate. At least it will not be in the drive and will be somewhat out of the picture....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
If you have room on the side or your house park it there and put up a big gate. At least it will not be in the drive and will be somewhat out of the picture....
This would be ideal, unfortunately there is very little room on the side of the house. I would not be able to park it on the side, or take it through the side into the backyard for storage. So whatever I have would have to either sit in the driveway or the garage. Argh...

·
Registered
414 Posts
This would be ideal, unfortunately there is very little room on the side of the house. I would not be able to park it on the side, or take it through the side into the backyard for storage. So whatever I have would have to either sit in the driveway or the garage. Argh...
Ya, that's tough. I have a big ugly van out front that I'm sure my neighbors are not happy looking at everyday, sometimes I park it in the street for a few days just so I have some room in the driveway but I can't for long. I have one neighbor who will call in anyone for leaving their car on the street too long without moving it. It is some kind of City ordinance so I'm careful not to extend my neck too far. If I sold one of my classic Mustangs or got rid of a few motorcycles I could move one more car in the garage and never have to park in the street. Probably not going to happen but I am building a shed out back to move some woodworking tools into so I can free up space to work on bikes.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, I am that guy already and it is just the price you have to pay when you live in the city. I will say that I am not the only one that has more vehicles than garage and driveway space on my street. Hey, at least I don't ride my race bikes up and down the streets tuning them (anymore) :whistle:

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
I had a similar dilemma when I got sick of towing. Do I sell my sedan car and have just the van or do i run two vehicles.
Turned out the van was nicer to driive than I expected, and really useful for moving stuff around town. I just had to line the interior walls with soft trim to knock the interior noise back a bit and fitted carpet tiles to the floor. After that I was perfectly happy with it and sold the sedan and saved myself some $$ and freed up space on my small section. If you still have your wifes car then I would go down this route. Towing sucks IMO. Just make sure the van has a good reversing camera.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·
Ya, that's tough. I have a big ugly van out front that I'm sure my neighbors are not happy looking at everyday, sometimes I park it in the street for a few days just so I have some room in the driveway but I can't for long. I have one neighbor who will call in anyone for leaving their car on the street too long without moving it. It is some kind of City ordinance so I'm careful not to extend my neck too far. If I sold one of my classic Mustangs or got rid of a few motorcycles I could move one more car in the garage and never have to park in the street. Probably not going to happen but I am building a shed out back to move some woodworking tools into so I can free up space to work on bikes.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, I am that guy already and it is just the price you have to pay when you live in the city. I will say that I am not the only one that has more vehicles than garage and driveway space on my street. Hey, at least I don't ride my race bikes up and down the streets tuning them (anymore) :whistle:
Ha! Yea.... I put around the neighborhood but very slow. At this point I am leaning towards just getting the kendon trailer. Though I would love to deck out a 6x12 so bad 😞

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
I had a similar dilemma when I got sick of towing. Do I sell my sedan car and have just the van or do i run two vehicles.
Turned out the van was nicer to driive than I expected, and really useful for moving stuff around town. I just had to line the interior walls with soft trim to knock the interior noise back a bit and fitted carpet tiles to the floor. After that I was perfectly happy with it and sold the sedan and saved myself some $$ and freed up space on my small section. If you still have your wifes car then I would go down this route. Towing sucks IMO. Just make sure the van has a good reversing camera.
I had mentioned to my wife getting a Ford Transit. I don't think she understood it would be my daily driver.... because then I mentioned it again and she was very opposed to that... ha. Looks like I will get the Kendon. Though this will make transporting easier than getting the bike in the back of the truck, I still wish I could get the 6x12...

Everything I have read on the Ford Transit is that they drive really nice, but then as my wife pointed out... I would have a cargo van for track riding which is only 20-27 days out of the year. I should probably just keep my truck and get the Kendon. Maybe do some custom mods to the Kendon to store fuel and my tool chest.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The Kendons are really nice and a good choice for a lot of people. As long as you have a truck to haul it with. You’ll still need the truck bed for all your “stuff”.

The biggest draw backs to me are when traveling not being able to lock “stuff” up and bad weather. A day of Highway travel in the rain really can mess up the bike being in all that road spray.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 ·
The Kendons are really nice and a good choice for a lot of people. As long as you have a truck to haul it with. You’ll still need the truck bed for all your “stuff”.

The biggest draw backs to me are when traveling not being able to lock “stuff” up and bad weather. A day of Highway travel in the rain really can mess up the bike being in all that road spray.
That is a good point. I wonder if a smaller trailer, like a 5x10 would be more OK since it is smaller. It may not be as much of an eye sore sitting in the driveway ... I wouldn’t want to go smaller than that though.

Then again, anything sitting in the driveway other than a car would probably be considered an eye sore.

·
Director of Moderation
2,211 Posts
That is a good point. I wonder if a smaller trailer, like a 5x10 would be more OK since it is smaller. It may not be as much of an eye sore sitting in the driveway ... I wouldn’t want to go smaller than that though.

Then again, anything sitting in the driveway other than a car would probably be considered an eye sore.
Do you live in an HOA that prohibits trailers sitting in the driveway? If not, then who cares if people think it's an eyesore. I personally like seeing trailers in driveways, as long as it's not some totally raggedy POS lol

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #278 ·
Do you live in an HOA that prohibits trailers sitting in the driveway? If not, then who cares if people think it's an eyesore. I personally like seeing trailers in driveways, as long as it's not some totally raggedy POS lol
We do not have an HOA in our neighborhood at all. So no rules preventing me from parking a trailer in driveway. So you think just got for it, huh? :cool:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #279 ·
When it comes to box trailers, no matter what size you get, you’ll always wish you’d gone bigger. :)
Are you thinking about upsizing yours? Are you able to fit the pitbike in there with both the big bikes?

I am looking at pitbikes now. I am considering the following

1. CRF110 (auto clutch, so my wife can ride this easier. I had a KLX110L that she rode but working the clutch is harder for her. Even though she used to drive a stick) I would also probably take the bike to 3 Palms to mess around on the pit track if I went with the CRF.

2. Zuma 125 - Easy to ride. No clutch so wife can ride easier. Fairly cheap.

3. Grom/Z 125 - Easy to ride. Has a clutch so the wife would struggle more with this. Fairly cheap.

I am leaning more towards the Zuma or the CRF110.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Mines a 7x12. Two bikes side by side and the Z125 sideways in the back.

I wish I had a clutch less pit bike for pulling a tire&gas trailer around the pits.

261 - 280 of 292 Posts