Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

241 - 260 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Great. Thanks.

The transponder should go on the back side of the fork tube between the clamps. Either side works fine.

·
Registered
143 Posts
And here is the torque wrench I used so you guys don’t think I’m completely crazy. :LOL:

I usually set my torque wrench at half the torque required to know that I'm getting close. If i feel too much resistance at a low torque then something is wrong.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
I usually set my torque wrench at half the torque required to know that I'm getting close. If i feel too much resistance at a low torque then something is wrong.
lesson learned for sure. I will try this technique next time. 👍🏻

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
If it makes you feel any better I stripped an m8 on my zx10r this week. Lol. What a headache.
Argh.... 😵 yea not a fun feeling. When this one happened, I thought to myself I did this whole build without striping anything until right at the veeeery end.

I ordered a heli coil kit. I am waiting on it to come in. I checked Home Depot, Lowe’s, auto zone, etc. no one had any.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 ·
So my wife and I just bought a house so it has been crazy for me the last few weeks. I finally was able to mess around with the bike.

I put a heli-coil in on the stripped threads. I always get very nervous when doing a helicoil kit. After you drill those threads out, you are past the point of no return....

The install went pretty good. I put a new gasket on and got the case bolted back up. This time no torque wrench. Just went by feel. I still need to fill the bike back up with oil and safety wire the oil drain bolt, and oil fill cap. Other than that, the bike should be ready to race.

@Duckman I signed up for the CMRA race in April @ MSRH. I will be racing 500 SS, SB, and GP.

I really want a cargo trailer or toy hauler but I do not have the room or money for that at the moment. So I am considering one of those Kendon upright trailers. Found one for sale that seems to be a good price. Even with the wood step-up I built for my ramp (which reduces the angle at the ramp/truck tailgate), I still have to take my lower fairing off to get my bike into the truck. It is just an extra hassle to mess with. So I really like the idea of a quality small trailer that takes up little room.

Anyone have experience with Kendon trailers? They seem to be pretty good quality.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Great. The Kendons are almost collectors items. Everyone loves them. Get it. You’ll never have any trouble reselling it. :)

We’ve been skipping 500gp just because it’s so late on Sunday afternoon. I may do it this time since it’s local but not sure. See you there.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 ·
I just picked up a Shoei X14 last night from Cycle Gear. Though my helmet numbers do not show up well on the helmet.

I reached out to Drippinwet, but for the race this weekend I am going to get some mailbox stickers from home depot (white background, with black numbers) to put on the helmet to pass tech.

I am excited to have a helmet with better field of view, so I am not straining so hard to lift my head to see through the turns.

@Duckman, are you riding Friday? Or going up Saturday morning? I am not sure if I will leave my bike overnight or not. I do not have a key and so stealing the bike would be quite easy. Can just start it and ride off.... but then again, it would not be too hard for someone to lift it into a vehicle (or roll up a ramp).

I always left my bikes overnight at the track for the Ridesmart track days, but all my bikes I rode had keys and I could lock them.

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts
The X14 is a great track helmet for the reason you mentioned. I have the liner in mine adjusted so it rides as far back as possible.

We were going to do Friday practice but it looks like a rain out right now. :(

I’ve always been afraid to leave everything at the track unless someone I know is staying there to keep an eye on things. Even locked up in the trailer. But a lot of people do it.

·
Director of Moderation
2,211 Posts
I've always left my bikes over night at the track whether I stayed at the track or not. And mine never had keys, or if they did I'd leave the key in them lol Never had a single thing stolen at any track event I've been to. Always leave the trailer unlocked whenever I'm out at the dinner or not nearby. The track is the one place I don't ever worry about my stuff being messed with or stolen. Now my house on the other hand....locked 24/7! LOL

I love my X14. Best helmet I ever had. If Chris Kruzel doesn't get back to you in a reasonable time (which he sometimes doesn't unless you're a MotoAmerica pro racer), reach out to PopShadowDecals. Lea is awesome to work with. She does great quality work and is MUCH better at communication.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 ·
I've always left my bikes over night at the track whether I stayed at the track or not. And mine never had keys, or if they did I'd leave the key in them lol Never had a single thing stolen at any track event I've been to. Always leave the trailer unlocked whenever I'm out at the dinner or not nearby. The track is the one place I don't ever worry about my stuff being messed with or stolen. Now my house on the other hand....locked 24/7! LOL

I love my X14. Best helmet I ever had. If Chris Kruzel doesn't get back to you in a reasonable time (which he sometimes doesn't unless you're a MotoAmerica pro racer), reach out to PopShadowDecals. Lea is awesome to work with. She does great quality work and is MUCH better at communication.
I haven't heard anything from Dripping Wet. I went ahead and put an order in at Pop Shadow. Thanks for the info!

I have not heard of anyone having a bike stolen from a track day or race day, but it still makes me nervous. Especially track days, because I have met some sketchy people at those. A race however, I don't think there would be too many sketchy people racing.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I got my helmet stickers from Pop Shadow also. I asked them to make mirrored pairs so the slant looked correct on both sides. No problem. Great people.

One time last year some stuff was stolen out of the locked garages overnight. But I’m sure that’s very rare. Sounds like an inside job to me. :)

Last time out at NOLA we left everything set up overnight while we went to the motel. But we were pitted with friends that were staying at the track. It sure was nice not having to deal with the trailer at the motel. And getting to the track with everything already set up is GREAT especially when you are race 1. 😊

Honestly, it’s probably safer at the track than a motel parking lot.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
At the multi day National events I always leave my bike overnight but not my other gear. A guy pitted next to me got his back protector pinched overnight once. I’ve always remembered that. Really disappointing to think a racer would steal off another racer. 😐

·
Director of Moderation
2,211 Posts
I haven't heard anything from Dripping Wet. I went ahead and put an order in at Pop Shadow. Thanks for the info!

I have not heard of anyone having a bike stolen from a track day or race day, but it still makes me nervous. Especially track days, because I have met some sketchy people at those. A race however, I don't think there would be too many sketchy people racing.
Yeah Chris at DrippinWet can be really slow to work with. He sets priorities and since he does a lot of work for MotoAmerica bike, he prioritizes those first. If you're some random track day or amateur club race schmuck that he's never heard of it could be days or weeks until you hear back.

There are definitely sketchy people racing too, but thankfully not many. I've never had any of my stuff stolen or messed with, but I've heard of quite a few stories from others that it happened to. Even recently at the Daytona 200 race, someone had a table stolen from their pit lane setup! Who walks off with a table?? lol The most common things I've heard is people messing with other people's bikes at night. Happened to a fast guy I know years ago, when someone tweaked with his suspension settings at night. Like cranked the damping all the way up on the forks or all the way down on the shock. He said he realized it right away that something didn't feel right in the morning practice on the first lap. Luckily he kept notes of all his settings and was able to set everything back the way it was pretty quickly. Since then he always put his bikes away at night. I guess that's only a problem when you're at the front end of the experts and people are racing for money or championships. Nobody cares enough of the guy finishing midpack so I never had to worry about that! LOL

241 - 260 of 292 Posts