Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

181 - 200 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Crap. I guess now I’ll have to start acting my age. 😎
Hey Duckman, where did you get your number plates from?

Also, where did you get your rear tail light from? I am making a list of everything I need to do to the bike to get it ready to race.

Did you silicone your coolant drain bolt? That thing seems pretty small to drill without compromising the bolt.

Thanks!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hey Duckman, where did you get your number plates from?

Also, where did you get your rear tail light from? I am making a list of everything I need to do to the bike to get it ready to race.

Did you silicone your coolant drain bolt? That thing seems pretty small to drill without compromising the bolt.

Thanks!
For the coolant drain I bought a pre-drilled bolt from Probolt. I rarely bother trying to drill anything myself. Titanium of course. :)

For the rain light I found these little led trailer lights on Amazon. Same for the little computer type switch.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Actually I think I went SS on that one.

And another picture from the inside. That screw is an extra I added to make the Lacomoto under tray more secure.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
For the coolant drain I bought a pre-drilled bolt from Probolt. I rarely bother trying to drill anything myself. Titanium of course. :)

View attachment 16996

For the rain light I found these little led trailer lights on Amazon. Same for the little computer type switch.

View attachment 16997

View attachment 16998

View attachment 16999
Thanks! I am assuming that switch is hardwired into the battery?

Where did you get your number plates from? I was trying to look some up but could not find any.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Crap. I guess now I’ll have to start acting my age. 😎
Ok let me try this again.
From what your on line personality comes across as, I don't think thats gonna happen. Nope. Not ever.
Hey by the way, have you ever thought of a career as a hand model?:ROFLMAO:
🐉

·
Director of Moderation
1,996 Posts
Where did you get your number plates from? I was trying to look some up but could not find any.
These are 3 of the main ones I know. I've always been a fan of PopShadowDecals and got many number plates and various decals from there (Tea is the owner's name). She's always been great to work with. Chris Kruzel at DrippinWet is probably the biggest name in the industry for vinyl, number plates, decal kits, etc. since he does that for a lot of MotoAmerica pros and many club racers, but because of that he can also be hard to get a hold of. I've only worked with him once on an order and it was a PITA, although the quality of his stuff is great. But I switched to PopShadowDecals and never looked back.

My current plates and decals were done by GRG Designs (GRG Designs) because a friend of mine owns it, however he just got into doing this about a year ago. Since his son races a 400 in MotoAmerica he has plate templates for this bike already, but it took a while to get mine plus they were more expensive than PopShadowDecals because he didn't have templates for my bodywork and also for my ZX6R.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Thanks for the input guys. I have done the following:

1. Purchased the number plates from Norton Motorsports. Once I know what race number I will be assigned I will probably try to order my numbers from GRG or Pop Shadow.
  2. I have a new Aim Solo 2 on order from STG. 2-3 week lead time right now. I have the bracket made to attached the mount whenever it arrives.
  3. Got my safety wire and safety wire pliers. I am a total noob. I safety wired a couple bolts already, but I don't think I did it correct and it looks bad. I will need to go back and revisit this.
  4. Does anyone know if you have to safety wire the Banjo bolts on the master cylinder and the calipers?
  5. I ordered pre-drilled brake caliper bolts from Norton, along with new brake pads and the rear brake reservoir delete.
  6. Ordered a basic red light like Duckman's and switch for my rain light.
  7. Ordered a TR2 transponder. Their website says it works with all AMB timing systems. Someone from CMRA confirmed it will work with their system.
  8. I have read through the CMRA rules for 500 Superstock. I qualify for this class. I do want to change out the MC. The rules state I can; "Master cylinder's may be replaced with any OEM master cylinder regardless of type from any make or model. Aftermarket master cylinders are allowed but are restricted to same type and as close as possible to the OEM bore and stroke."
    1. So I will look around to see what bikes had a Brembo MC stock. I know some Ducati's did. Does anyone know the bore/stroke of the ninja 400 OEM MC?
    2. I still need to buy a new front rotor. I will do this eventually.

As of right now I am trying to have the bike race ready for the CMRA race in April. This should not be an issue as I have all my parts needed on order.

I will look into racing three classes just to get more race time
  • 500 Superstock
  • 500 Superbike
  • 500 GP

·
Registered
80 Posts
Does anyone know if you have to safety wire the Banjo bolts on the master cylinder and the calipers?
I don't think I've seen this required in any club racing orgs, but maybe someone who actually races that particular series can verify.

So I will look around to see what bikes had a Brembo MC stock. I know some Ducati's did. Does anyone know the bore/stroke of the ninja 400 OEM MC?
I have a Brembo on mine and considering going to a stock or something else, it just doesn't have enough feel. I'm not sure there is any stock bike's radial MC that will work well with a 400 since every stock radial one I know of is a bike with dual rotors and 400 has single. I loved my Magura HC1 on my 300.

·
Registered
284 Posts

1. Purchased the number plates from Norton Motorsports. Once I know what race number I will be assigned I will probably try to order my numbers from GRG or Pop Shadow.
  2. I have a new Aim Solo 2 on order from STG. 2-3 week lead time right now. I have the bracket made to attached the mount whenever it arrives.
  3. Got my safety wire and safety wire pliers. I am a total noob. I safety wired a couple bolts already, but I don't think I did it correct and it looks bad. I will need to go back and revisit this.
  4. Does anyone know if you have to safety wire the Banjo bolts on the master cylinder and the calipers?
  5. I ordered pre-drilled brake caliper bolts from Norton, along with new brake pads and the rear brake reservoir delete.
  7. Ordered a TR2 transponder. Their website says it works with all AMB timing systems. Someone from CMRA confirmed it will work with their system.
  8. I have read through the CMRA rules for 500 Superstock. I qualify for this class. I do want to change out the MC. The rules state I can; "Master cylinder's may be replaced with any OEM master cylinder regardless of type from any make or model. Aftermarket master cylinders are allowed but are restricted to same type and as close as possible to the OEM bore and stroke."
    1. So I will look around to see what bikes had a Brembo MC stock. I know some Ducati's did. Does anyone know the bore/stroke of the ninja 400 OEM MC?

As of right now I am trying to have the bike race ready for the CMRA race in April. This should not be an issue as I have all my parts needed on order.

• 500 Superstock
  • 500 Superbike
  • 500 GP
Brake banjos don’t need safety wire.

I’ve seen guys running the 14 or 15mm Brembo MC but don’t know much about it. But that would be the last thing with the brakes i’d change. Good pads, lines, and rotor help a lot. The stock front rotor will taco if you use it a lot.

·
Registered
379 Posts

• 500 Superstock
  • 500 Superbike
  • 500 GP
per CMRA rulebook:
q) The following items must be safety wired, or secured in an approved manner: Axles or Axle Nuts
Axle Caps or Pinch Bolts
Oil Filler Caps
Oil Drain Plugs*
Oil Filter/Filter Bolts**
Oil Galley Plugs***
Oil Lines
Oil Cooler
Bolt Fork Oil Drain Bolts
Radiator Caps
Coolant Drains
Brake Caliper Bolts
*Quick release clips may not be used to secure oil drain plugs. Oil drain plugs must be secured with safety wire only. **All spin-on oil filters must be torqued to factory specifications and be secured with a hose clamp and safety wire. This includes K&N oil filters.
***May be secured by silicone glue or H/D weather-strip adhesive in lieu of wiring.

Get as much seat time as you can, it'll pay off the most. Don't get discouraged in superbike class, getting left on the straights can be annoying but you'll learn to really carry some corner speed to make up for it.

·
Director of Moderation
1,996 Posts
  1. I have read through the CMRA rules for 500 Superstock. I qualify for this class. I do want to change out the MC. The rules state I can; "Master cylinder's may be replaced with any OEM master cylinder regardless of type from any make or model. Aftermarket master cylinders are allowed but are restricted to same type and as close as possible to the OEM bore and stroke."
I have a Brembo on mine and considering going to a stock or something else, it just doesn't have enough feel. I'm not sure there is any stock bike's radial MC that will work well with a 400 since every stock radial one I know of is a bike with dual rotors and 400 has single. I loved my Magura HC1 on my 300.
^What he said. I suggest you don't get just any Brembo off other bikes to put on here. It won't work well. You may end up making your braking system WAY too sensitive to the point that it will be hard to modulate the brakes right and be dangerous. Ducatis, Aprilias, and other bigger bikes that come with Brembo MC's from the factory have a bigger bore because they need to push out way more pistons on 2 calipers. You put one of those MC's on a 400 that has one small caliber with just 2 pistons and all you have to do is sneeze and next thing you know you're over the bars going face first into the ground. You need to stay with something that has somewhat of a similar bore and stroke, not just for the rules but also for safety.

I bought Bret's Magura HC1 and I love it! Much nicer than the stock one and I feel it gives me more confidence on the brakes. If you choose to go with a Brembo though, you need a RCS15 or something similar. Do not get a 17 or bigger.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
Thanks for all the input guys. I guess I didn’t think about the difference in single vs dual rotor and pistons, weight, etc. I guess I will wait to see how the feel is with the new pads and rotor.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
@Duckman I am corner working on the right hander before the back straight. You and your son looked good in the morning races! My feet are completely numb.... Luckily they let the corner workers com back in. I warmed my feet up in the truck.

now we are back out on the corners for the the 5 hour endurance race.

·
Registered
284 Posts
@Duckman I am corner working on the right hander before the back straight. You and your son looked good in the morning races! My feet are completely numb.... Luckily they let the corner workers com back in. I warmed my feet up in the truck.

OMG! We were talking about how we felt sorry for the corner workers. What a day!!!!

I went out without practice on brand new rain tires and that was like riding on ice the first two laps. Scary as ****. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts

I bet that is brutal!! After about the 3rd lap my finger tips were frozen. Good luck surviving the endurance!!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
I bet that is brutal!! After about the 3rd lap my finger tips were frozen. Good luck surviving the endurance!!!
The 5 hour endurance race was bruuuuutal!! Many bikes crashed out and several broke down. What miserable weather to be racing. Yea, I figured all the guys on the bike were pretty darn cold. That cold air penetrating through the suits and gloves.

You guys riding tomorrow? I just was corner working today.

181 - 200 of 230 Posts