Ninja 400 ‘22
OEM parts used:
Z400 ‘22 top triple clamp
Ninja 400 ‘22 clutch & throttle cables
Aftermarket parts used:
Zeta offset risers
ProTaper Schoolboy High bars
ProGrip road grips

Re routed stock clutch & throttle cables, starter / kill switch cables. No binding lock to lock.

NOTE:
  • Ninja 400 forks are taller than Z400, bar risers are required.
  • The ignition barrel is bolted to the TTC on the Ninja 400, at the factory the bolts are torqued and the heads break away - an (anti-theft design) so to speak. Therefore, you need to drill the bolts out and replace them (6x22mm is bolt size), I used 6x20mm without any issues. You DO NOT need to remove the fuel tank for enough electrical cable length on the ignition barrel to turn TTC upside-down to drill out the bolts.
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

Automotive tire White Automotive lighting Light Motor vehicle

Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system

Cheers.

· Registered
One engine, 2 wheels, reformed squid rider 😂🐙
1,256 Posts
Very nicely done and thanks for the list of how to do this for others that may want to go this route as well. 👍

It looks like it would be very comfy to ride now with a very upright position and a supermotoesque look to it. 😍

Great first post and welcome to the forums. 🤙

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nicely done and thanks for the list of how to do this for others that may want to go this route as well. 👍

It looks like it would be very comfy to ride now with a very upright position and a supermotoesque look to it. 😍

Great first post and welcome to the forums. 🤙
Cheers mate,
I used this forum a lot while researching.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's the cost of this vs buying clip on risers?
The top triple clamp were $330 AUD
Zeta offset rises were $60 AUD
ProTaper Schoolboy High were $140 AUD

There was a range of multiple position clip on risers online, in Australia they all priced from $380 AUD upwards.

Subjectively, for my choice I went with the handlebar option to -
1: keep a relative OEM setup
2: I’ve owned Supermotos in the past and like that style of position.

cheers mate.

· Registered
312 Posts
Nice job, I've been thinking of doing something like that to my 2020 N400, but I wasn't sure if there was enough extra length in the switch wiring.

NOTE: Ninja 400 forks are taller than Z400, bar risers are required.
Is that backwards? It seems like you'd need bar risers to raise bars on a shorter fork, not a longer one. Did you get a measurement of the difference in length between N and Z fork tubes?

cheers,
Michael

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've never seen this conversation, very well done. You can remove the Zeta risers if you want to experiment with the wider bars at a lower position. Or would the bars hit the fairing? I have the same Zeta risers on my '19 Z400.
Due to the longer forks on the Ninja 400, with the Z400 top triple clamp, the bar mounts are below the fork cap height, so risers are needed - handle bars won't sit into bar mounts otherwise.

Cheers man.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice job, I've been thinking of doing something like that to my 2020 N400, but I wasn't sure if there was enough extra length in the switch wiring.

Is that backwards? It seems like you'd need bar risers to raise bars on a shorter fork, not a longer one. Did you get a measurement of the difference in length between N and Z fork tubes?

cheers,
Michael
Nah man, I didn't have a Z400 to measure the fork length, only noticed the difference when installing the TTC.

You can see in the photos, the fork cap is higher than the TTC bar mounts.

Cheers man.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

cheers,
Michael
Yeah man, I just had to re route the switch wiring around one bar of the frame, took 60 seconds to do.

Cheers

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now I want to trade in my z400 and get the n400, this was the main reason I bought a z instead because I wanted more upright handle bars this awesome!
Now I want to trade in my z400 and get the n400, this was the main reason I bought a z instead because I wanted more upright handle bars this awesome!
Yeah, I wanted the Ninja style with the Z400 riding position, so had the conversion in mind prior to buying the Ninja 400.

Cheers

· Registered
10 Posts
Nice set up, however the issue I see is prolonged riding and ergonomics of your wrist. The angle of the bars seems to square our your hands caused a bend in your wrist. I had an ergonomics issue with the stock setup until I had Dave Moss set up the bars, brake/clutch lever angles. No I can comfortably commute without any pain to my arms, wrist or shoulders. You would be surprised how little adjustments can make a ride much more enjoyable.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts