Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
... In one of my races on Sunday, I and another friend on a 300 got stuck behind a guy on a KTM 790. The problem was that his pace was only about 1-2 seconds slower than ours, which was enough to annoy us and ruin our race causing us to lose the rest of the pack, but fast enough that we couldn't make a pass anywhere because he would leave us in the dust on the straightaways and by the time we'd catch up it was in sections of the track where it's really hard to make a good clean pass.
Sooo frustrating! Know that feeling.
In my first season of licenced racing there was actually a rider slower than me in my class. Hard to believe I know, and to make things worse he was on a Ducati 750 monster which probably had about 10HP over my GSXR400 and a shed load more torque.
So yeah, usual gig, he'd beat me off the start line then hold me up all the way round the back of the course through the bends where I didn't have the race craft to get past him and then he'd pull away down the main straight giving me a few turns to ride my own pace before coming up behind him again. Repeat until chequered flag. Arrrggghhh!
Took me half a season before I had the skills/balls to stuff it up the inside of him and make a break. Hallelujah. :biggrin:

·
Director of Moderation
2,111 Posts
Sooo frustrating! Know that feeling.
In my first season of licenced racing there was actually a rider slower than me in my class. Hard to believe I know, and to make things worse he was on a Ducati 750 monster which probably had about 10HP over my GSXR400 and a shed load more torque.
So yeah, usual gig, he'd beat me off the start line then hold me up all the way round the back of the course through the bends where I didn't have the race craft to get past him and then he'd pull away down the main straight giving me a few turns to ride my own pace before coming up behind him again. Repeat until chequered flag. Arrrggghhh!
Took me half a season before I had the skills/balls to stuff it up the inside of him and make a break. Hallelujah. :biggrin:

Yep. I am one of the least aggressive passers. I need to work on that a lot. Too many races ruined because I hesitated too long to pass a slower rider at the beginning of a race and then lost the group that I normally would've been racing with.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Yep. I am one of the least aggressive passers. I need to work on that a lot. Too many races ruined because I hesitated too long to pass a slower rider at the beginning of a race and then lost the group that I normally would've been racing with.
Too much of a gentleman. :biggrin:

21 - 25 of 25 Posts