Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This is a N400 ready-to-race appreciation thread. Drop your N400 or your track days here !

I'll begin with my few photos of my N400 on the track. Please be mercyful as these were taken from my first ever session (01/08/18 - @Circuit Carole, France).

Enjoy ! :3tens:

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hi all,

This is a N400 ready-to-race appreciation thread. Drop your N400 or your track days here !

I'll begin with my few photos of my N400 on the track. Please be mercyful as these were taken from my first ever session (01/08/18 - @Circuit Carole, France).

Enjoy ! :3tens:
Last photo with two bikes in the shot looks great, you look pretty darn good riding my bike around...:grin:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last photo with two bikes in the shot looks great, you look pretty darn good riding my bike around...:grin:
Hey Mr Mike, thanks for the words ! But actually this was just me being passed frrom the outside curve ahah. Learning is hard on the track and humility comes quickly when passed from experienced drivers.

Also, progress is coming after every turns, making it more and more enjoyable with laps increasing. This N400 is so easy to lean, it's almost like cheating in corners :angel:

Show us some pics of yours :grin:

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
... actually this was just me being passed frrom the outside curve ahah. Learning is hard on the track and humility comes quickly when passed from experienced drivers.
I know that feeling of humility well. Sometimes at my track when the numbers are down they send us Formula 3 guys out in practice with the F1 & F2 guys. The fast guys just cut you to pieces! Up the inside of you, around the outside of you or even both at the same time if your really unlucky (read slow ha ha).

Your right about getting quicker with each time out on track though, especially say the first half dozen times you go along.

Not trying to sound like a tutor but check out the difference in the body positions of you two in that photo. The guy going around you has his upper torso a lot further off the bike. His inside shoulder is dropped, his bums off the seat more and (I'm guessing) he is carrying a lot more corner speed.
Gotta be the hot ticket eh. :wink:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know that feeling of humility well. Sometimes at my track when the numbers are down they send us Formula 3 guys out in practice with the F1 & F2 guys. The fast guys just cut you to pieces! Up the inside of you, around the outside of you or even both at the same time if your really unlucky (read slow ha ha).

Your right about getting quicker with each time out on track though, especially say the first half dozen times you go along.

Not trying to sound like a tutor but check out the difference in the body positions of you two in that photo. The guy going around you has his upper torso a lot further off the bike. His inside shoulder is dropped, his bums off the seat more and (I'm guessing) he is carrying a lot more corner speed.
Gotta be the hot ticket eh. :wink:
Hey Kiwi :grin:,

Indeed that's the frist thing I thought viewing these pictures. Unfortunately these photos were taken on the frist two sessions of the day (out of 6). I was quite impressed of the track and still "shy" to lean. Also, we had a great monitor helping us improve our position (several podiums at the "500 Miles"), so the last 2 sessions of the day were way better. I almost scratched the knee sliders twice :clap:.
Thanks for advices tho, I'll work on it for my next sessions.

·
Director of Moderation
2,111 Posts

No kidding...or when you're on the slower end of the advance group at a track day, and do some sprint races along with top expert racers in the region at a track where you don't have much experience and after just crashing earlier that day so you're a bit shy in the turns...humility level = 10!

·
Registered
656 Posts
No kidding...or when you're on the slower end of the advance group at a track day, and do some sprint races along with top expert racers in the region at a track where you don't have much experience and after just crashing earlier that day so you're a bit shy in the turns...humility level = 10!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7ybKAn6Bv8
Your looking at that entirely wrong... Your very fortunate they let you on the track with such good riders, I liked that video of you having fun buzzing around them corners... Lots of action.

Its all about having fun, cause there will always be faster riders, it's ok to be gun shy, that's when you start paying attention to what your doing..

·
Registered
385 Posts
You look like you been doing this a while... And know what to do, Just one question... Why do you have a miniature traffic cone stuck to your helmet in the 3rd photo.. :grin:

All seriousness it looks like your having a blast man... Ride safe.
Thanks, I've been racing cars for a while so certain things came naturally (reference points, looking through turns, throttle and brake control). Body position is what I've really been focusing on. These shots are from my 3rd session, last session of the day I managed to drag knee a couple times. From 1st session to final session my lap times improved by 13 seconds lol. My instructor for the day was very impressed with my progress and helped me an incredible amount. Bike is going in for suspension but hopefully I'll be out there again in October. Haven't been riding motorcycles for even 1 year yet... I'm dreading the inevitable first crash.

·
Director of Moderation
2,111 Posts
Your looking at that entirely wrong... Your very fortunate they let you on the track with such good riders, I liked that video of you having fun buzzing around them corners... Lots of action.

Its all about having fun, cause there will always be faster riders, it's ok to be gun shy, that's when you start paying attention to what your doing..
They'll let anyone race in club racing lol Here in the region I'm racing now, in the 500 classes on my R3, there is a guy on a vintage bike who often gets to be in a lot of our races although scored in a different class. The dude is slower than dirt! As a reference, I'm generally 6-8 seconds off the top pace of the leaders. Above 10 seconds and I'd start feeling pretty worthless. This guy is about 35-40 seconds off the pace! He gets lapped every 3 laps usually, it's insane. But yet they still allow him to race. Sometimes he even got paired up with the 1000cc guys at the same time. Difference in pace then was like 50 seconds or so!!

·
Director of Moderation
2,111 Posts
Thanks, I've been racing cars for a while so certain things came naturally (reference points, looking through turns, throttle and brake control). Body position is what I've really been focusing on. These shots are from my 3rd session, last session of the day I managed to drag knee a couple times. From 1st session to final session my lap times improved by 13 seconds lol. My instructor for the day was very impressed with my progress and helped me an incredible amount. Bike is going in for suspension but hopefully I'll be out there again in October. Haven't been riding motorcycles for even 1 year yet... I'm dreading the inevitable first crash.
So don't crash then ;)

·
Registered
656 Posts
They'll let anyone race in club racing lol Here in the region I'm racing now, in the 500 classes on my R3, there is a guy on a vintage bike who often gets to be in a lot of our races although scored in a different class. The dude is slower than dirt! As a reference, I'm generally 6-8 seconds off the top pace of the leaders. Above 10 seconds and I'd start feeling pretty worthless. This guy is about 35-40 seconds off the pace! He gets lapped every 3 laps usually, it's insane. But yet they still allow him to race. Sometimes he even got paired up with the 1000cc guys at the same time. Difference in pace then was like 50 seconds or so!!
35-40 Sec lol, the guys a random obstacle... Next time your there and hes on the track get some video -- love to see it.

·
Director of Moderation
2,111 Posts
35-40 Sec lol, the guys a random obstacle... Next time your there and hes on the track get some video -- love to see it.

I already have 2 videos where I almost rear-ended him. Guess I can post them here since that's what this thread is about. I'm on an R3 though since I just got the 400 and haven't even ridden it yet.

This one doesn't give the impression that it was that bad (and to be honest it wasn't all that bad, just annoying), but basically what happened is I was following a bunch of people and I did not expect to have a guy pop out of nowhere going slow as balls in the middle of one of the fastest turns on the track. I had just shifted into 5th and I was already looking through the turn when all of a sudden the people in front of me moved out of the way and I found myself rapidly approaching this guy. I had to make a bit of an evasive maneuver and go around the outside and I lost all drive coming out of that turn. The guy with the yellow vest that passed me has an even better view cuz you can see me in front of him going along, and then all of a sudden I go way left out of his view. He thought I ran off the track lol

This one is from a wet race. It's on lap 4 and I was lapping him, around the 7:30 mark. At least this time I could see him from a long way, but I didn't expect him to stay in the middle of the track like that on the exit. I was thinking he'd go farther wide like everyone else so my plan was to take a later apex and exit the turn in the middle of the track so I can still get decent drive and avoid him. But he took me by surprise with his choice of lines and I almost ran into him. He was running about 45-50 seconds slower than me in that particular race. The dude just doesn't lean at all and doesn't appear to really get on the gas much or use his brakes. His pace is probably low to mid novice track day pace, yet he races alongside some guys that are fast enough to run in MotoAmerica! Guess if you have the money to waste, CCS will gladly take it lol

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I already have 2 videos where I almost rear-ended him. Guess I can post them here since that's what this thread is about. I'm on an R3 though since I just got the 400 and haven't even ridden it yet.

This one doesn't give the impression that it was that bad (and to be honest it wasn't all that bad, just annoying), but basically what happened is I was following a bunch of people and I did not expect to have a guy pop out of nowhere going slow as balls in the middle of one of the fastest turns on the track. I had just shifted into 5th and I was already looking through the turn when all of a sudden the people in front of me moved out of the way and I found myself rapidly approaching this guy. I had to make a bit of an evasive maneuver and go around the outside and I lost all drive coming out of that turn. The guy with the yellow vest that passed me has an even better view cuz you can see me in front of him going along, and then all of a sudden I go way left out of his view. He thought I ran off the track lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC64JoIsQyw

This one is from a wet race. It's on lap 4 and I was lapping him, around the 7:30 mark. At least this time I could see him from a long way, but I didn't expect him to stay in the middle of the track like that on the exit. I was thinking he'd go farther wide like everyone else so my plan was to take a later apex and exit the turn in the middle of the track so I can still get decent drive and avoid him. But he took me by surprise with his choice of lines and I almost ran into him. He was running about 45-50 seconds slower than me in that particular race. The dude just doesn't lean at all and doesn't appear to really get on the gas much or use his brakes. His pace is probably low to mid novice track day pace, yet he races alongside some guys that are fast enough to run in MotoAmerica! Guess if you have the money to waste, CCS will gladly take it lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXQpZn-q-fs
OMG that's so bad not to mention dangerous.
We get a bit of that in our 'have a go class' but that's to be expected there and they have strict passing rules on where you can and cant, so it minimizes the danger a bit.

That guy and his bike should be sprayed in fluorescent dazzle paint! :biggrin:

Regarding your other post where you are getting cut up by the big boys: Yep, I know that feeling all too well.
The biggest meeting of the year at my local track attracts top riders from all around the country. At the practice day on the friday this year they lumped F1, 2 & 3 together. So here I was on a 75HP bike getting handed down a severe lesson in how to ride my local track by guys who I had been reading about in bike magazines riding 200HP bikes! I flagged the last session and went home early in the end... nothing to be gained from that except soiled underwear.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hey thanks for posting that, enjoyed watching.... Great bike view. I like how you're battling rider #3 and he only over takes you in the straits.... Nice riding my man.! Something tells me Your going to do well with the your 400.

As packed as you guys were hitting that corner ya that slow guy was a hazard, Or.. Maybe you guys were just going to fast. :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Guess if you have the money to waste, CCS will gladly take it lol
Most race organizations are like that...same in AFM also

I've had multiple scares from folks that are >30s a lap slower, even when I was in the novice class. Its kinda like they bought a race bike and showed up to race.....no trackday ever. When expert winner is at 2:04's and tail end of novice is at 2:50-3:00, its a recipe for disaster. All race organizations should impose minimum lap time limit, based on previous race or practice times. Keep it maybe 125% of expert winner's time or something like that. Worst is their unpredictable riding.

- watch ~5:30 when the whole pack bunches up due to one slower guy (he's only ~10s/lap slower)

·
Director of Moderation
2,111 Posts
Most race organizations are like that...same in AFM also

I've had multiple scares from folks that are >30s a lap slower, even when I was in the novice class. Its kinda like they bought a race bike and showed up to race.....no trackday ever. When expert winner is at 2:04's and tail end of novice is at 2:50-3:00, its a recipe for disaster. All race organizations should impose minimum lap time limit, based on previous race or practice times. Keep it maybe 125% of expert winner's time or something like that. Worst is their unpredictable riding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FnHrxF0-4Y - watch ~5:30 when the whole pack bunches up due to one slower guy (he's only ~10s/lap slower)

Yeah that's sketchy! Thankfully we only have one like that and he's not in our classes, he's a vintage racer and they often put the vintage bikes along with the 500 or 300 classes. But often times he's the only one in the class, or one of two.

Guy in your video that slowed you guys down looked to be on a KTM 690? So he was in a different class I assume, right? Those are the worst...most of our races are combined with the Lightweight classes (SV650s, FZ07s, etc.) and some of those guys are slow as ****! That class seems to have the biggest disparity in lap times. The top experts in that class are very fast and will often lap me and other guys on 300/400s after about 6-8 laps (usually they're in the 1st wave and we're in the 2nd wave). But the slower guys in that class are so slow that we catch up to them after the first lap even though they get a 10+ second head start. They're often hard to pass because they have so much more power. In one of my races on Sunday, I and another friend on a 300 got stuck behind a guy on a KTM 790. The problem was that his pace was only about 1-2 seconds slower than ours, which was enough to annoy us and ruin our race causing us to lose the rest of the pack, but fast enough that we couldn't make a pass anywhere because he would leave us in the dust on the straightaways and by the time we'd catch up it was in sections of the track where it's really hard to make a good clean pass. Some of the sections at VIR really have just one line, making it very hard to pass someone on a faster bike.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts