Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know where asking for opinions normally leads. But, I'm asking for them anyway. I stopped in my local Kawasaki Dealer's to look around today. They had a 2019 Ninja 400, Red, with the "Performance Package". It was priced at Kawasaki's retail for both the bike + (package @ $836.95). I would normally think a "same-as-like package" could be purchased and installed after the original sale. Often for less money and possibly better components. But this bike and it's add-on components looked awesome. Without getting in a discussion of the bike's retail/sale price. What are your ideas of the quality and cost of this "Performance Package"?? I've added a link for a description of this package.

https://www.kawasaki.com/accessories/item/ninja-400-performance-package/999693776

·
Registered
715 Posts
Many people would prefer to choose individual mods to their liking, me thinks.

In an alternate universe, Kawasaki sells bespoke ZX4RR's, with 60+HP, Ohlins, Brembo, pinch me now.

Reactions: airhead83

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Kawasaki were/are offering this 'performance' option in Europe right from model release. (see link) There it includes the pillion seat cowl but not the tall screen or the sliders. I think there is a French member on here who has this bike.

https://www.kawasaki.eu/en/products/Supersport___Sport/2018/Ninja_400_Performance/overview?Uid=08D6XgtaXFtfXw1bC1wLXFxYDFFYCg0OUA1fCgxQUFxRClE

It really depends if those are bits that you want or not. Personally I think this is an expensive way of getting an Akrapovic pipe fitted on your bike as I wouldn't want the other bits.
Also note that this is the official Kawasaki street legal Akrapovic option that is quite quiet and heavier and I remember a member on here was having difficulty trying to work out how/if possible at all to remove the dB killer.
I think the Akrapovic in carbon looks better myself and you can get it from STG for $434 (see link) so now you have saved yourself $461 that you can spend on accessories that you really want!

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/akrapovic-kawasaki-ninja-400-2018-carbon-slip-on-exhaust/

So in conclusion, as with most of these deals, it's stacked in the dealers favor.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Looks expensive for what you get?

You can buy aftermarket tank pads for $15, slider set under $100, the tall windshield is $110. So is that exhaust worth the $600?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Looks expensive for what you get?

You can buy aftermarket tank pads for $15, slider set under $100, the tall windshield is $110. So is that exhaust worth the $600?
Eh, not really. They're certainly up-charging for those parts. The exhaust is about $510-$540 by itself, depending on where you get it from.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/akrapovic-homologated-slip-on-exhaust-kawasaki-ninja-400-2018

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/akrapovic-kawasaki-ninja-400-2018-titanium-slip-on-exhaust-street-legal/

·
Registered
34 Posts
I didn't bother in the end. For the same money, I bought a carbon akrapovic which has a removable baffle, BMC filter and tail tidy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know where asking for opinions normally leads. But, I'm asking for them anyway. I stopped in my local Kawasaki Dealer's to look around today. They had a 2019 Ninja 400, Red, with the "Performance Package". It was priced at Kawasaki's retail for both the bike + (package @ $836.95). I would normally think a "same-as-like package" could be purchased and installed after the original sale. Often for less money and possibly better components. But this bike and it's add-on components looked awesome. Without getting in a discussion of the bike's retail/sale price. What are your ideas of the quality and cost of this "Performance Package"?? I've added a link for a description of this package.

https://www.kawasaki.com/accessories/item/ninja-400-performance-package/999693776
I have been in and out of that store. Saw the same bike, but Im really trying to get a hold of a 2018 KRT. It pisses me off that they don't allow test rides either.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I have been in and out of that store. Saw the same bike, but Im really trying to get a hold of a 2018 KRT. It pisses me off that they don't allow test rides either.
That's fair enough if they dont have a demo model instore. No one wants to buy a new bike that every other Tom, Dick and Harry has been trying out. Or are you talking about a second hand 2018 bike?

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's fair enough if they dont have a demo model instore. No one wants to buy a new bike that every other Tom, Dick and Harry has been trying out. Or are you talking about a second hand 2018 bike?
Perhaps. I get it to an extent, but there are so many that don’t know if they prefer a 650 to a 400 or like me who may elect to go the route of a Yamaha MT07. Don’t know for sure unless you ride.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Perhaps. I get it to an extent, but there are so many that don’t know if they prefer a 650 to a 400 or like me who may elect to go the route of a Yamaha MT07. Don’t know for sure unless you ride.
Dont worry I have the same problem in my province, no demo's available. I bought the bike purely off the spec sheet, unridden.
When you do get your new bike and have laid out the cash your gonna want to see no more than maybe 1 mile on that odometer, trust me. :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
The one decent thing that they said is they will let you return the bike within 15 miles if you decide you don't like it. However, Im sure that they would be mighty pissed. Then another hour would be spent in the dealership, OR you would absolutely be expected to purchase another bike there, which I could understand.

Wish me luck on getting an 18 KRT this week! Everyone, and I mean everyone has been telling me to get an MT07 instead of the Ninja 400, but I know myself. IF I don't get what I truly wanted in the first place, based on the reasons I wanted it, I would probably be upset. The little ninja really is the whole package and something I would keep even if I wanted another bike in a year or two. Perhaps, I will upgrade to an MT 09 at that point.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the performance package fir my wife’s Ninja 400. I knew that I could get it for cheaper on my own, but my wife likes the idea of OEM straight from the dealer. ??*♂ It is what it is.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I appreciate all of the replies and different opinions. Thanks to All.

·
Registered
39 Posts

If you just want the different look, I have a nearly complete set of 2018 KRT fairings for sale. Keeping the tank and the black plastic pieces that surround it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you just want the different look, I have a nearly complete set of 2018 KRT fairings for sale. Keeping the tank and the black plastic pieces that surround it.
I just ordered a KRT from Arkansas.

To the OP, I would rather pay less and get the Akropovic Carbon fiber slip on and a black windscreen. I’m sure the parts they have installed on the one your looking at are a decent quality. Personally, I was tempted to purchase that red one with the extras so I didn’t have to mess with it later, but it was just to cost prohibitive.

I purchased a Krt Feom Jonesboro AK for $4399. Had to pay $600 for shipping and that was it. Will pay taxes later on though.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts