Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 ninja 400 and put a hindle slip on on the bike. The bike will get to 5 out of 6 bars on temp and every once in a while the bike will stall out/shut down when I stop in a parking lot and sit for a minute or when I pull into the garage. I took the bike to the dealer and they said that its running to lean and I need to invest into a power commander and that the slip on voids the warranty. The other option he said is put the stock one back on and see if it still does it and if it does then bring it in. I wanted other's thoughts on the situation.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have a 2021 ninja 400 and put a hindle slip on on the bike. The bike will get to 5 out of 6 bars on temp and every once in a while the bike will stall out/shut down when I stop in a parking lot and sit for a minute or when I pull into the garage. I took the bike to the dealer and they said that its running to lean and I need to invest into a power commander and that the slip on voids the warranty. The other option he said is put the stock one back on and see if it still does it and if it does then bring it in. I wanted other's thoughts on the situation.
I would put the OEM muffler back on and see if that problem gets resolved or not. It only takes a few minutes. Usually a slip-on doesn't have much impact but maybe it's possible? Which Hindle? Can you post a pic?

If the problem gets resolved than you could buy a booster plug as some others have done to increase fuel delivery. The benefit of the booster is it can be removed to preserve the warranty. I've never used it but others have said it does work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would put the OEM muffler back on and see if that problem gets resolved or not. It only takes a few minutes. Usually a slip-on doesn't have much impact but maybe it's possible? Which Hindle? Can you post a pic?

If the problem gets resolved than you could buy a booster plug as some others have done to increase fuel delivery. The benefit of the booster is it can be removed to preserve the warranty. I've never used it but others have said it does work.

This is the exhaust that's on it. I will try the stock one and see what it does.

·
Registered
416 Posts
This is the exhaust that's on it. I will try the stock one and see what it does.
These engines run lean from the factory and I didn't have any problems on my 2019 when I installed the Graves slip-on which is also a straight thru design. I also just installed the Hindle Evolution on my ZX6R and had no idle issues before getting the ECU flashed.

I go the ECU flash route within a couple hundred miles to cure the lean running condition.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These engines run lean from the factory and I didn't have any problems on my 2019 when I installed the Graves slip-on which is also a straight thru design. I also just installed the Hindle Evolution on my ZX6R and had no idle issues before getting the ECU flashed.

I go the ECU flash route within a couple hundred miles to cure the lean running condition.
Looks like I need to slap the stock one on and if I still have the issue send it in for factory warranty. I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
24 Posts
BOOSTER PLUG will RICH EN UP the OPEN LOOP - BIKE goes into CLOSED LOOP at consistent ROAD SPEED

·
Registered
38 Posts
The things run on the knifes edge of "too lean" from the factory. A slip on never tips the scales that much. Do you have any other mods done? I'd guess there is something else going on.

There's a reason that O2 eliminators and Booster Plugs are so popular. They both do similar things by richening up the mixture a bit. Something you may want to look in to anyways.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
As noted above, these things, (Most bikes) are too lean from the factory. Is there a baffle in the Hindle,that might help? I've always heard the muffler is ill revilement since the cat is the bottle neck for exhaust gases? How many miles on the bike? They do run how while breaking in.
I ran the Akra can (baffle in) during break-in with no ill effects, strange it would stall; the fan should come on to keep the bike cool.

·
Super Moderator
1,529 Posts
+1 for all the previous comments except I would not waste time and money on any bandaids and I would just get an ECU flash from Norton or the likes. That will properly fix your fuel map to run correctly. It will also enhance the riding characteristics such as smoothing out the throttle responses and also keep your motor much cooler. It will also bring your timing back to a realistic non governmental setting. These flashes put the bike back to where they should be for correct running not on the edge of self destruction. Usually, a slip on will not cause the bike to stall so that could be another issue all together. After having two N400's, one with a Yoshi slip on that I put on a Norton ECU, I realized I should have done that no matter what. If your mods such as a slip on or an ECU flash etc are not causing harm to the bike then it will not void the warranty. But...if a mod does cause an issue, it will not void the warranty, it will simply make the claim for that particular damage not go through. I would make sure that the bike runs as good as possible, maybe slip the Hindle off to make sure the baffle was installed correctly (also, make sure the O2 sensor wire is intact), take a look at the air filter, make sure you hear the fans running when the temp gets up there, make sure the fuel you put in was not bad and also, as noted so many times on this forum over the years, check the battery connections to make sure they are clean and tight.

·
Super Moderator
1,529 Posts
Even if I kept the bike completely stock, including factory muffler, I would flash the bike to get it to run correct. Off the showroom floor all these new bikes are tuned to pass a very strict emissions map. It is such night and day difference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts