Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m desperately trying to get my clutch to have tension after replacing the clutch with new plates, however my pull rod does not want to engage correctly for whatever reason! The clutch rod will touch the pull rod, but not give the hydraulic proper tension it needs, it just seems to get stuck and slip. Is there any way to fix this? I feel that I’ve tried everything.

· Registered
23 Posts
I had sort of the same problem.
My Z is a 2019 model that I bought new here in the Philippines. I only had about 5000 kilometers (3100 miles) on the bike when it began slipping badly. There were two reasons why I never tried to get it fixed under warranty. First is that I would have had to take the bike back to the island where I bought it by ferry then returned home and when ever I got it fixed I would have had to make the trip again to go get it. There are very very few motorcycle shops in the Philippines that sell anything bigger than 125 cc bikes, and 90 percent of them are scooters.
I ordered the thinner bearing, new pull rod, heavy duty springs, and competition fiber clutch plates. I do not remember who the actual manufacturer was but I ordered those from 2 different suppliers, one of them was in Italy. During installing those new parts every thing went smoothly until I tried to replace the outer clutch cover. It seemed that no matter how I tried I could not keep the internal clutch arm engaged properly while replacing the cover. I finally had to even order some gasket material in order to make a new gasket because I had it off and on so many times.
As everything takes so long to get shipped here I got a whole roll of the stuff so that I will be able to make any other gaskets I might need in the future. Sorry that I can't help you out with a how to as, at least for me, it was just a try and try again situation with some choice words and hair pulling to finally get it done.

· Registered
23 Posts
I had sort of the same problem.
My Z is a 2019 model that I bought new here in the Philippines. I only had about 5000 kilometers (3100 miles) on the bike when it began slipping badly. There were two reasons why I never tried to get it fixed under warranty. First is that I would have had to take the bike back to the island where I bought it by ferry then returned home and when ever I got it fixed I would have had to make the trip again to go get it. There are very very few motorcycle shops in the Philippines that sell anything bigger than 125 cc bikes, and 90 percent of them are scooters.
I ordered the thinner bearing, new pull rod, heavy duty springs, and competition fiber clutch plates. I do not remember who the actual manufacturer was but I ordered those from 2 different suppliers, one of them was in Italy. During installing those new parts every thing went smoothly until I tried to replace the outer clutch cover. It seemed that no matter how I tried I could not keep the internal clutch arm engaged properly while replacing the cover. I finally had to even order some gasket material in order to make a new gasket because I had it off and on so many times.
As everything takes so long to get shipped here I got a whole roll of the stuff so that I will be able to make any other gaskets I might need in the future. Sorry that I can't help you out with a how to as, at least for me, it was just a try and try again situation with some choice words and hair pulling to finally get it done.

· Registered
2,422 Posts
Because it’s a slipper type clutch the pressure plate has ramps on it that must be installed correctly. Also there are different size plates that must be installed in the right order. When it’s all correctly done it simply all fits together and works. There are many, many threads on this forum to help you out. Keep trying but remember. If you feel you need to force anything you’re doing it wrong.

· Registered
2019 Ninja 400 ABS, Pearl Storm Gray
787 Posts
Maybe get us a picture of the inside, too? Both of the clutch side and the inside of the engine cover with the lever? I notice your cover is not bolted down in the video? Was everything flush with the dowel pins in place?

· Vendor
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400
590 Posts
Update: I still can’t seem to get it. I had the release cover in proper position and still seems to slip. Here’s a video of what it looks like: January 21, 2023
Follow @Duckman and make sure you have the plates correctly ordered the pressure plate correctly seated. If worse comes to worse, take it to a professional.

Kawasaki Ninja 400 / Z400 Clutch Slipping, Poor Shifting, False Neutrals, and Dropping Gears – Explained and Fixed!

Installing OEM pressure plate Kawasaki Ninja 400

1 - 9 of 9 Posts