Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try and keep this somewhat updated as the post come in. I know the 250/300 forums had it and was nice to see how you stack up against other riders. I'll add the states as the new times come in.

Post up the track
Physical Proof would be nice, screen shot or video.
Track conditions if you wish - Rainy/Sunny 80*
Track direction - CCW/CW

Georgia -
Barber Motorsports Park - Ashton Yates - 1:39.061 CW
Beaubier Ends MotoAmerica/Dunlop Test On Top at Barber - Motorcycle.com News

·
Registered
56 Posts
This is the thread I was looking for, but it seems that it died an untimely death. Will try to resurrect. In Novice with Sportbike Track Time at Barber Motorsports two weeks ago, an instructor followed me and reported that I did a 1:59. My 400 has a lithium ion battery, tail tidy, Remus exhaust Can, took the tool kit out for the track day, left side passenger peg and bracket removed, right side peg removed but kept the stock bracket. Stock, three year old GPR300 tires that have done 5 or 6 track days.

Engine wise, stock except for the can, ECU flash from Spears, and Spears velocity stacks. So it might have a few extra HP and could weigh 7 to 10 pounds less than stock. Also had my first low-side in "Charlotte's Web" / Turn 5. Got re-teched, and continued the rest of the day. Pretty happy to get under 2 minutes. Goal is a 1:50 in 2022. Plan to lose 10 pounds over the winter (from me) by playing more racquetball, and continue to pare weight off the bike as well. Probably get some fresh tires too, but not sure what to get.

·
Director of Moderation
3,355 Posts
11/14/21
Jennings GP First time out on the N400 Still in street bodywork
Ktech suspension
Tires: Michelin Power Cup EVO 110/150
55-65 F temps
1:30:xx Can easily see getting down quicker. But not bad for the first outing on a basically stock bike minus suspension and tires.
That's a very good pace for a mostly stock bike. I was there Monday with my 400.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That was literally the first time ive ridden the bike further than from my garage to the trailer. LOL I really like the N400. Im a pretty small guy so the bike just fits and was very comfortable right out of the gate. Ran out of lean angle a few time due to pegs dragging even when i would get out of the seat more than normal to compensate. Rearsets will fix that. Cant wait to get the bike in full track form. Next time you go shoot me a message. Would love to check out your "superbike" and have you tow me around. I've got a lot of laps at JGP but not on the 400 and I can tell the race line on the 400 is likely different than what it was on my 600.

·
Director of Moderation
3,355 Posts
That was literally the first time ive ridden the bike further than from my garage to the trailer. LOL I really like the N400. Im a pretty small guy so the bike just fits and was very comfortable right out of the gate. Ran out of lean angle a few time due to pegs dragging even when i would get out of the seat more than normal to compensate. Rearsets will fix that. Cant wait to get the bike in full track form. Next time you go shoot me a message. Would love to check out your "superbike" and have you tow me around. I've got a lot of laps at JGP but not on the 400 and I can tell the race line on the 400 is likely different than what it was on my 600.
I don't know what it is about that track, but I can't seem to go faster there. I ran 28s my first time there and every day I've been there since, the same. It's the only track I've ever been to where I haven't improved my times after the first day, and Monday was I think my 4th time there :(

But yes, you'll definitely want more ground clearance. Aftermarket rear sets and a longer shock will help a lot. I'm amazed you could even do 1:30s with stock rear sets lol My advice...stay away from Vortex rear sets. They are not that high and you'll run into clearance issue when you start pushing it more. I switched to Woodcraft rear sets for that reason. I also have a set of these that I made to replace the stock brackets. The allow an extra 10 mm higher clearance and also 10 mm back (2 positions), plus they're lighter and look cooler :)

Engineering Automotive tire Auto part Machine Metal

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Automotive design Vehicle

·
Registered
24 Posts
Those rearset mounts are trick! Is that a one off thing or are more available? Nothing like passing a 750 on the outside of turn 1 on a baby ninja. haha
I hit a plateau on my R6 at 1:25 Couldn't ever really make progress from there. Wasn't the bike. Seen guys do sub 20s on the same setup I had. Thats one reason that made me want to try a lightweight bike. Felt more "at home" on the 400 in a day than I ever did on the R6. Kayla Yakoff was there sunday doing near Sub 20s on her Kramer. Shes fun to watch.

Tire Wheel Helmet Motorcycle Sports gear

·
Registered
556 Posts
I don't know what it is about that track, but I can't seem to go faster there. I ran 28s my first time there and every day I've been there since, the same. It's the only track I've ever been to where I haven't improved my times after the first day, and Monday was I think my 4th time there :(

But yes, you'll definitely want more ground clearance. Aftermarket rear sets and a longer shock will help a lot. I'm amazed you could even do 1:30s with stock rear sets lol My advice...stay away from Vortex rear sets. They are not that high and you'll run into clearance issue when you start pushing it more. I switched to Woodcraft rear sets for that reason. I also have a set of these that I made to replace the stock brackets. The allow an extra 10 mm higher clearance and also 10 mm back (2 positions), plus they're lighter and look cooler :)

View attachment 21024
View attachment 21023
How did you get those TST brackets?
I haven't seen them available.

·
Director of Moderation
3,355 Posts
@Bluebandit2g @jd41 they are one of the first few prototypes. The ones I have on my bike are not anodized, and had some slight changes. It was one of the original prototypes I made. The ones in the picture are the final product and we put them on one of the 400s we have here in the shop. They are going in production soon, but not sure when they'll be available for sale yet. Hopefully sometime in December or January.

·
Registered
556 Posts
@Bluebandit2g @jd41 they are one of the first few prototypes. The ones I have on my bike are not anodized, and had some slight changes. It was one of the original prototypes I made. The ones in the picture are the final product and we put them on one of the 400s we have here in the shop. They are going in production soon, but not sure when they'll be available for sale yet. Hopefully sometime in December or January.
You working with TST? Let us know when they're available. I'd love a set.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yeah that's why I moved to Florida. You knew that, didn't you?? I made a post about it like 6 months ago just before I moved. Can't remember if it was just on Facebook or also on here and the ZX6R forum.
No. I didn't. I just thought you moved to Florida to retire. I thought we were friends... :cry:.

That's awesome dude. Congratulations.

·
Director of Moderation
3,355 Posts
No. I didn't. I just thought you moved to Florida to retire. I thought we were friends... :cry:.

That's awesome dude. Congratulations.
Dude I texted you when I changed my phone number! I was pretty sure I told you lol....And my projected retirement year at this rate is like 2055 unless I win the lottery before LOL

And he had been doing an awesome job of not flaunting where he works. Even though he now had his own personal fracking dyno!!!!!!
It's not mine, I just use it :) But I do live about 5 minutes away from it, which is pretty convenient, and the nice thing is it's in an industrial park next to the airport, so there are no noise restrictions there on any day, any time! So it's Monday morning?? BRAAAAAAP!!! Thursday night? BRAAAAAAAP! Sunday morning while church is in session? BRAAAAAAAAP!!! It matters not 🤣

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.