Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to touchup scrapes on a Ninja 400 stator cover and a few frame components. Can anyone recommend a black paint that matches the OEM frame paint (or powder coating)? Kawasaki customer support is clueless on this and refused to investigate this for me. They can't even tell me if the frame is painted or powder coated! Dealer doesn't know either and Kawasaki couldn't help them either. Tried a Krylon matte black paint but isn't a good match. Has anyone found a close matching paint? Can anybody weigh-in on this?

·
Registered
656 Posts
I need to touchup scrapes on a Ninja 400 stator cover and a few frame components. Can anyone recommend a black paint that matches the OEM frame paint (or powder coating)? Kawasaki customer support is clueless on this and refused to investigate this for me. They can't even tell me if the frame is painted or powder coated! Dealer doesn't know either and Kawasaki couldn't help them either. Tried a Krylon matte black paint but isn't a good match. Has anyone found a close matching paint? Can anybody weigh-in on this?
Hello bobbyo, welcome to the forums. I bet someone here knows a close match, In the good ol' days I use to spray my bike frames with krylon black BBQ. You raise a good point with the No service help desk at Kawasaki - It seems they are trained to use 3 word phrases only, we cant recommend, I don't know, I'm sorry sir and thanks for calling.

Theres tons of nice people here, hopefully someone will come along with an answer to your question.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, I don't know if they will be the exact match, but I had used TouchUpDirect Paint before, and they seemed to match with Kawasaki paint pretty well. You can try it there by inputting your bike make, model, and year, and it will directs you to the closest match. The whole idea about painting it yourself to make it look as close as you can to the original is up to your painting skills and experiences. My opinion, wet sanding and finishing the last process with rubbing compound are a must for plastic body fairings. however, for frame, you can use black mac paint; you can pick up the paint at any auto or hardware store. I hope this info helps!!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Well, I don't know if they will be the exact match, but I had used TouchUpDirect Paint before, and they seemed to match with Kawasaki paint pretty well. You can try it there by inputting your bike make, model, and year, and it will directs you to the closest match. The whole idea about painting it yourself to make it look as close as you can to the original is up to your painting skills and experiences. My opinion, wet sanding and finishing the last process with rubbing compound are a must for plastic body fairings. however, for frame, you can use black mac paint; you can pick up the paint at any auto or hardware store. I hope this info helps!!
Do you know maybe whats the color code for the krt one, lime green?
the site you gave doenst have the 400. is it the same as the 300?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure what you mean by black "mac" paint. Did you mean black "matte" finish paint? I tried a Krylon black matte paint and it's too glossy. The frame and engine cover paint looks more like a black flat or ultra flat type finish. Here's the issue I have with Kawasaki. They do not have a Ninja 400 paint code for frame and engine component parts. The only paint codes they have are for the metallic paint of the bike like the fuel tank. I called ColorRite (similar to TouchUpDirect) and they told me that they do not have a Kawasaki color code for the frame and engine and because they don't, they can't help me. After going around and around between Kawasaki and the dealership, they both punched my TS card! That's why I came to the forum because this color matching find will be a trial and error challenge I'm hoping someone has conquered.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Check the ColorRite website. they have the ninja 400 KRT lime green color code.
I'm assuming that all lime green color from the same manufacture (Kawasaki) should match each other-it is their manufacture signature color. What I have noticed from all three of my different bike models from Kawasaki, they do share the same color match-at least to the human eyes; however, it is really up to you to make the choice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts