Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I got my bike back from it’s first service (I had done a change myself a few hundred miles before the service with no issues) and noticed how foamy the oil was, has anyone else noticed this issue after their first service?

My dealer used Motul fully synthetic oil and claims it’s just oil additives foaming up to clean the engine and that the foam will stop after the oil gets some miles on it.

Any thoughts from you guys? Never had foaming on my Castrol fully synthetic oil. I would like add pics but not sure how to from my phone.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hi all, I got my bike back from it’s first service (I had done a change myself a few hundred miles before the service with no issues) and noticed how foamy the oil was, has anyone else noticed this issue after their first service?

My dealer used Motul fully synthetic oil and claims it’s just oil additives foaming up to clean the engine and that the foam will stop after the oil gets some miles on it.

Any thoughts from you guys? Never had foaming on my Castrol fully synthetic oil. I would like add pics but not sure how to from my phone.
Its fine... mine does that too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ohh that’s relieving, was worried every time I go for a ride I was causing damage to my bike!!! Must just be the type of additives in the oil they use, cheers for the reply.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Ohh that’s relieving, was worried every time I go for a ride I was causing damage to my bike!!! Must just be the type of additives in the oil they use, cheers for the reply.
Always check the oil level before your first ride of the day... Motor off, kick stand down and the bike balanced as close to vertical as possible... There should not be any foam in the view glass when you do this first check. don't check immediately after your done riding, wait a good 5 minutes for all the oil to drain back down, it may be foamy still.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've never seen synth-oil foam in the decades I've owned sport-bikes. Could bubble a bit when draining into the pan but foaming? Not normal as far as I know. Overfilling could be a culprit.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I've never seen synth-oil foam in the decades I've owned sport-bikes. Could bubble a bit when draining into the pan but foaming? Not normal as far as I know. Overfilling could be a culprit.
I'm guessing he checked right after a ride, I've seen what some might call foam in the sight glass just after a ride... Especially right after an oil change.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Foaming in my experience is condensation build up. An example would be taking very short rides before the engine has fully heated up.

In your situation probably nothing if you do very short rides.

Worst case scenario, there's coolant mixing with the oil. Maybe get the oil chemically analyzed?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts