Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I bought the kawasaki ninja extended reach seat for my 2021 ninja 400. Couple of quick points for people here based on the experience.

• It doesn't really seem to add a whole lot of comfort, not as much as I was expecting/hoping for. It's definitely got more padding than the stock seat, but it's not like you sit on it and go "oh yeah this feels really nice"... I may end up getting another seat because the purpose of my purchase was for more comfort. The stock seat, after about an hour, starts to make my butt go numb. And it was still the same after 600+ miles of riding (I don't believe anything about "breaking in" the seat).
  • It's got a wider base to it, so you'll definitely feel your legs pushed out to the side more than the stock seat.
  • You sit higher on the bike. Compared to the stock seat, I don't know if I like it. The 400 is already pretty upright, and this make me feel even more so. This plays in with the cushion part above, I was sort of hoping that although it would be higher because of more padding, that I would kinda end up back at the same height after sinking into the padding of the better seat.
  • Because you sit higher, it gave me more of a "floaty" feeling on the bike, rather than really feeling in line with the bike. It's hard to describe it, but I feel less "attached" to the bike than the stock seat.
  • Because obviously it's higher and wider, those two will cause your feet to be higher off the ground. I can easily flat foot my ninja 400 in stock (I'm 5'9"), and stand up fully with the bike between my legs at a red light. With this seat, not AS easily. I'm still pretty flat footed, but I feel it's more of a stretch, and I'm not clearing the bike as easily when standing flat foot at a stop light.
  • Also because of the shape of it, it does seem to make my pants ride up more than the stock seat did

I will probably try to find some local upholster company or something, and take the extended reach seat, and try to get them to have it fit the look/height/form of the stock but with way more comfort. Or just return it and buy a different seat.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have the extended seat also and a 140/70 rear and have the Gixxer rear shock with the shock supports flipped to raise the rear higher. I am 5’9 also and I can’t flat foot my 400.
But I have rearsets and the higher seat makes the bike more comfortable! My buddy has the normal seat with the 150/60 rear but has the same Gixxer rear shock with the rear raised. I can flat foot his with no problem. My 400 is track only so it’s not a big deal at all. As far as the sear being hard, I always have on leather soooooo I don’t feel the seat being harsh.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 400 ABS in Candy Red
100 Posts
At 6’1”, the Ergo Reach seat was for me a godsend, but if additional leg room wasn’t a priority, I can see how it could be a disappointment, given that the small amount of additional padding/foam it offers brings with it a few new issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 - 5 of 5 Posts