Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I woke up today to go for a nice ride to go get some morning coffee, and as soon as I got outside I thought a cat had pissed on my bike or close to it because the entire thing smelt so strong from cat piss I thought nothing of it until I started it up and could see the actual smell was coming from thin the bike after looking around inspecting every little area I saw that the coolant drain pipe that is just below the coolant cap/lid was loose and almost completely off and I could see a stain on the actual radiator which im thinking is from the coolent leaking from it raising so high "because my coolant level was always slightly above full" either way the coolant drain was 2mm away from falling of the radiator completely so I pulled it all the way back on and tightened the clamp, whats worse is I went to a friends house afterwards to check his 400 and its the same thing, so just a heads up can someone please take a photo exactly the same as the one I have attached below because I would like to know how your coolant drain pipe looks to compare to mine, thanks :) bike is going to smell like **** for a long time now haha i went to mcdonalds to get the coffee and I could see people walking past and their facial expressions where priceless :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Emud it looks like the hose from the radiator overflow to the reservoir, could it be that the hose is bent and the water can't flow?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Emud it looks like the hose from the radiator overflow to the reservoir, could it be that the hose is bent and the water can't flow?
nah it was just very loose and barley hanging on, I just want to see where peoples hose is attached to in terms of is it attached all the way or midway ect

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'll have a quick look at it before I ride home from night shift in the morning Emudshit (by the way, I passed my test on Wednesday so I'm riding to/from work now) to see where mine is. I'll look at posting a photo tomorrow afternoon after I wake up

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have a quick look at it before I ride home from night shift in the morning Emudshit (by the way, I passed my test on Wednesday so I'm riding to/from work now) to see where mine is. I'll look at posting a photo tomorrow afternoon after I wake up
Congratulations dude welcome to the world of motorcycles, where your senses for the road and surroundings will multiply by 100, even driving a car wont be the same you will forever be anxious of everyone on the road haha

·
Registered
237 Posts
Congratulations dude welcome to the world of motorcycles, where your senses for the road and surroundings will multiply by 100, even driving a car wont be the same you will forever be anxious of everyone on the road haha
Ain't that the truth, been riding for 5 days now and already had 2 vehicles pull out in front of me lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
Radiator Leak

Just checked mine and its tight and had NO ISSUES what so ever on leaking or overheating etc. My vent tube looks okay and never smelled any coolant. I will be taking mine in for the 600 mile service on Tuesday the 20th and will have them do a very intense going over on everything... I will definitely have them check the entire Cooling System and fluids and will have them also mount my Cigarette lighter socket and relay. I did a fastener check about 2 days ago on the entire Bike and did some tweaking on a few of them. Also just wanted to share that I did adjust my air pressure to 32 Front and 36 Rear and the Bike is REALLY happy with those settings too. Really Smooth. I did try the stock settings of 28f and 32r and it seemed mushy and did not run as smooth for some reason. When I bought my 400 from the Dealer in Texas. They had it originally on 32f and 36r from the beginning of my ownership. So I went back to the 32f and 38r settings once again. Even at higher revs it seems to be more smooth too....:smile:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Okay so I woke up today to go for a nice ride to go get some morning coffee, and as soon as I got outside I thought a cat had pissed on my bike or close to it because the entire thing smelt so strong from cat piss I thought nothing of it until I started it up and could see the actual smell was coming from thin the bike after looking around inspecting every little area I saw that the coolant drain pipe that is just below the coolant cap/lid was loose and almost completely off and I could see a stain on the actual radiator which im thinking is from the coolent leaking from it raising so high "because my coolant level was always slightly above full" either way the coolant drain was 2mm away from falling of the radiator completely so I pulled it all the way back on and tightened the clamp, whats worse is I went to a friends house afterwards to check his 400 and its the same thing, so just a heads up can someone please take a photo exactly the same as the one I have attached below because I would like to know how your coolant drain pipe looks to compare to mine, thanks :) bike is going to smell like **** for a long time now haha i went to mcdonalds to get the coffee and I could see people walking past and their facial expressions where priceless :)

Mine is leaking. Thank you for the heads up. Here is the pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
Your not kidding. I swear if im in a car I may look three times to make sure no motorcycles are beside me before i change lanes. Even after 13 years of riding.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts